General Fan Fiction posted February 7, 2024 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Fan Fiction based on the Disney movie 'Encanto'

A chapter in the book Doors

Family Matters

by Achitka



Background
Mirabel forgave her Abuela, but what about everyone else? Will they forgive her as readily? What all happened during the reconstruction? How do you encourage others to move past the past?

As Pepa watched the children heading back to the Casita the dark cloud that had lingered grew a little more intense. “Félix, I’m worried for Mira,” she said as she watched the people, most of whom were folks that had arrived in the Encanto recently, moving back to where the children had been sitting.

“How so, Pepi?” he asked as he too watched the growing crowd.

“When we were little, I remember that sometimes, folks would come to Casita and loiter outside. Other times, they would follow Mamá around town for hours. It did not happen often and eventually stopped…but it was...rather unnerving. Maybe that’s why Mamá kept such a short tether on us when we were younger. Never thought I’d live to see the day that would happen again.”

“You think that lot,” he said and gestured at the crowd, “are here because of Mirabel?”

“I don’t think, Félix. I know,” she said, and a short roll of thunder could be heard. “Almost all those folks are new here. They don’t have any experience with our Gifts, La Candela, or Casita. God only knows what sorts of stories they’ve heard.” Her cloud was sprinkling and Félix popped open the umbrella, he touched her arm to pull her attention away from the crowd.

“Come on, Pepi, let’s go home. We can discuss it with everyone then and come up with some sort of plan.”

“You’re right, nothing too worrisome has really happened…yet,” and she turned with him in the direction of home. By the time they reached the edge of town, her cloud had fully dissipated. She saw Juli and Gus out on the patio and wondered if they knew what was happening. Bruno was also there, he spotted her and Félix and waved to them to come around back to the patio gate, and Pepa sighed. They knew.

Pepa nudged her husband and tipped her head toward the patio, and together they headed for the gate. First, she noticed Julieta’s face was a mask of concern, and she was leaning into her husband. Juli was clearly just as worried as she was. Agustín just looked angry, and Bruno was dealing with his fidgets by feeding his rats bits of arepa. She wondered where their mother was just then, since she might have some insight into this. Maybe still at the Guzmán’s? If she was, she knew. Most days when not working on Casita she would be there on the veranda overlooking the plaza having tea and buñuelos. She saw Bruno taking a drink from a small bottle that he had pulled from his shirt pocket, his eyes were closed and Pepa wondered if he was having another vision. The knowledge that she and Juli were unknowing triggers for him made her heart ache. She heard the umbrella even as she felt the first raindrops falling.


 

Luisa happened to look out Mira’s window and saw Mirabel and a boy whose name she couldn’t remember coming up the path. “Isa, we need to leave, Mira’s coming.”

Isa came over and looked out the window, “With a boy no less, did not know she had it in her,” Isa smirked.

Luisa was already at the door, “Come on, Isa, now is not the time.”

Isa shrugged and continued to watch Mirabel, who was sitting on the grass a little way away from the edge of the path with the boy talking rather animatedly about something. Camilo and Dolores minus Mariano came up and Dolores caught his shirt and yanked Camilo back when he looked like he was going to go where Mirabel and the boy were sitting. Dolores then pushed him toward Casita. Isa smiled, good on her.

“Isa!” Luisa said in a fierce whisper. Startled, Isa turned to see Luisa giving her a look that said, come on already. Isa went into the hallway, closing the door behind her. Luisa had gone as far as the corner balcony. She waved at her to come to her, and she stopped her as she neared. Isa heard the voices on the patio below, and she and Luisa both sat down to eavesdrop on the conversation.

“I’m not sure what we can do about it,” she heard her mother say, “Probably the only thing that makes any sense is to keep a close eye on the people around her. If what Bruno says is true, Mira hasn’t realized it yet.”

“Why not just have her stay home for a few days until things settle down,” her Tío Félix said.

“And tell her what? She’s grounded?” her father said, and he sounded unusually angry. “No.”

“I suppose not,” Tío Félix agreed, “but-”

“But what, Félix,” Their father snapped. Isa and Luisa exchanged worried looks. Their father must really be angry, he never raised his voice like that. There was a pause as their mother said something in a tone low enough that they could not make it out. “I know, mi vida, this is no one’s fault, I’m just frustrated and…,” he did not finish the thought then said in a more reasonable tone, “I’m sorry Félix, you were saying.”

“No need for apologies, Mira’s already been through a lot. We all know that, but I’m concerned for our kids too. Especially Antonio, he hasn't had time to learn how best to use his Gift. And I worry that someone will get hurt. Not on purpose mind you, but… anyway Bruno, I’m assuming you saw what happened?” there was no actual answer from their Tío, so he must have nodded since Tío Félix said, “What do you think?”

Tío Bruno cleared his throat and said, “I think we’ll need more help than just us.” He stepped out from beneath the balcony and said in a louder voice, “Isa… Luisa, could you two come down to the patio please?”

The sisters looked at one another and Luisa shrugged and together they got up. She wondered how her Tío had known they were there. They looked over the rail to see their mother rubbing her temples, while their father was shaking his head. Tía Pepa’s cloud darkened and both made a beeline for the patio, running into Dolores and Camilo in the kitchen. Camilo made a shushing sound, but Dolores said, “Won’t help Camilo, Tío Bruno knows we are here too.”

All four walked out on to the patio looking sheepish and Tío Bruno said, “Who’s up for some espionage?”

“Bruno, this is serious,” Tía Pepa said from under the umbrella Tío Félix had once again pulled out.

“I know that. I’m sure we can handle it. The hard part will be explaining it.”

“Explain what?” Mirabel asked as she stepped through the patio door. Coming up behind was Abuela and Antonio. There was no answer to the question, making her take a few steps further and repeated it. “Explain what?”

Abuela came on to the patio then, holding Antonio’s hand, she sent him in the direction of his mother. Tía Pepa picked him up then and gave him a little squeeze. He hugged her back, causing the thunderhead to dissipate.

“Everyone is here, excellent,” Abuela said as put an arm around Mirabel as she guided her to her mother and said, “We need to have a talk about what happened in the plaza today.” Mirabel looked very confused and a touch nervous, but nodded. “Please everyone, sit down. Casita, some chairs please?”

Chairs shuffled out and Casita made a circle of them and everyone took one, except Tío Bruno, who was now sitting on the wall behind Julieta. He was reaching for something in his pocket, but everyone looked to Abuela as she said, “Now, where to begin… as some of you noticed, there were an unusual number of people in the plaza today. I was not expecting this to happen again, but it appears it will be an issue.”

“I don’t understand, what happened before?” Mirabel asked.

Abuela paused and rubbed her hands on her dress, Mirabel looking increasingly nervous as Abuela continued, “After the last miracle’s creation, I found that others would be attracted to La Candela as well as to myself. Nothing bad of note ever happened, but I will admit it made me very anxious and somewhat fearful. I understand now, what I did not then. Some of the people are a little unbalanced now that the magic has returned. I say some because it appears to be those who are new to the Encanto. We will need to give them time and perhaps a little space to adjust to our new situation.”

“So should we not go into town?” Camilo asked. Isa was surprised that he seemed to be taking this seriously.

“You can go into town, of course. Just be aware of the people around you,” Abuela said, and all the grandkids nodded.

“You should tell them to be aware at home as well, Mamá,” Tío Bruno added.

“Yes, that is true. There were a few that came to Casita as well. However, rest assured, Casita would never allow anyone to enter that is not supposed to be here.” Abuela said and sat back in her chair, adding, “Pepa, Julieta, do you have anything to add?”

Tía Pepa nodded and said, “Please make it a point to watch out for one another.”

Her mother said, “And let someone know when you are going out and how long you might be gone. You’ll save us all unnecessary worry.”

“Does this mean I can skip school?” Antonio asked from the edge of his seat. Tía Pepa and Tío Félix both said, “No, your brother will be walking with you, to and from.”

Camilo nodded.

“There is one more thing we need to discuss. As you heard at Church, the town council will be meeting in a few days and I would like for all the adults to attend. I want you to consider your time and how much of it will be made available to the townsfolk to do various tasks for them.” Abuela got up then and paced a short line. Her mother had slipped a hand protectively around Mirabel, her father was tapping his fingers on his knees, not looking at anything, but Isabela could see his lingering irritation. Luisa, who was sitting beside her, was looking stony faced as Abuela stopped in front of her and said, “Please remember, you are not obligated to work.” She was looking directly at Luisa now, “I know some of you have other pursuits you wish to follow. I encourage you to move ahead with those pursuits. So, if you have plans to do or be somewhere else, feel free to say ‘no’ to any request. I fully intend to support you in this. Before then, Arturo will be bringing whatever requests there are for us to review ahead of that meeting. Any questions?”

There was a long silence that seemed to stretch until it was broken when Camilo asked, “What’s for supper?”

“What are you making?” Mirabel retorted.

“Cake,” Camilo said and spread his hands in front of him as this should have been obvious.

“Cake for supper!” Antonio’s arms shot up, smile wide. “That sounds perfect!”

“No!” four voice said at once, curiously one was not Abuela’s, she looked as disappointed as Antonio, who dramatically laid on the ground and cried “Nooooooooooo!” But it was enough to break the tension, and they all started laughing as everyone got up and pushed the chairs out of the way. Tía Pepa bent down and tickled Antonio until he finally rolled away from her. Her mother, still chuckling, went into the kitchen followed by her husband, Camilo, and Mirabel.


 

Alma watched Camilo go, so she decided now would be a good time to talk to Pepa and Félix. “Pepa, there’s something I need to talk to you about.”

Pepa turned toward her, and Alma cringed inside at the look on her daughter’s face. Her smile now forced, rainbow gone, replaced by a thunderhead of instant anxiety. Sometimes it seemed like the consequences of her life would never stop jumping out at her, but she would not ignore them anymore. She knew she needed to do better and said, “I have news,” her voice sounded shaky even to her, “I was approached by one of the Encanto’s teachers a few months ago to see if Camilo might be interested in doing an apprenticeship there. Señor Gomez felt he would be well suited.”

“Camilo? Well, he always did get the best marks.” Pepa’s true smile returned, as her pride for her boy was clearly written there. She turned to her husband and asked, “What do you think, Félix?”

“He is excellent with children, mi vida,” Félix said, “and he has been talking about finding a position doing something useful. Can’t hurt to ask him.”

“Thank you, I really should not have waited this long, and I am sorry I did not bring this up to you sooner.” Alma was turning away and Pepa stopped her and gave her a gentle hug and whispered, “I know you’re doing your best Mamá, thank you for thinking of Camilo.”

Alma felt the gentle rain that sometimes fell when Pepa was happy, something Alma had not appreciated in the past. It was oddly calming, and she said, “No, thank you, mi vida.”


 

Isa was standing not far from where Luisa was speaking softly to Tío Bruno, and suddenly remembered what she was supposed to talk to her about this morning. Maybe, hopefully, Doli told her when they were making breakfast. Her Tío patted Luisa’s arm and said, “No need to worry sobrina, I’m doing well enough for me. I’m more interested to find out if you’re still planning to go to the city?” Luisa only nodded. “To the vet school?” She nodded again. “The Encanto could use a good vet. You could even hire Antonio, and he could get the animals to tell you where it hurts.” One of Tío rats made an appearance then. Squeaking as it ran to her hand and Luisa smiled at that and Tío said, “Good, ‘bout time I got a smile Lulu.”

Isa lost track of their conversation and thought again of the door in Mirabel’s room, as well as Casita’s new front door. It was not lost on her that Mira had been discretely waving to Casita while it was being rebuilt. Isa thought it was one of Mira’s weird habits that would eventually stop, but it never did. She never made a point of it because everyone knew how much she loved Casita. Was she still upset about Casita falling?

Someone touched her arm and Isabella jumped, causing a few tiny cactus flowers to pop from her hair. “You all right in there, prima?” Dolores asked.

“Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, you scared me half to-” Isa noticed the brooch, smiled, and leaned in to get a better look. Dolores leaned backward and Isa whispered, “So, when’s the wedding?” Dolores squeaked as she grabbed Isa’s arm, pulling her away from everyone else.

“How did…never mind, you can’t tell anyone, Isa,” Dolores said quickly, “It’s supposed to be a secret.”

“Why?” Isa asked. “I thought you hated secrets.”

Dolores gave her a head tilt toward her parents and Isa said still confused, “Okay, so when did he ask…”

Dolores blushed and said, “He didn't.”

“You…” Dolores nodded, smiling shyly. “Whaaaaa?” Isa asked, grabbing her arms, “I need details.”

“Isa, not now.” Dolores said, freeing her arms and looking around them quickly to see if anyone was listening.

“Fine, I guess you can tell me about it later.”

“Can you tell me too?” Antonio said as he popped out from behind Dolores’s skirt.

Isa sniggered and picked up her littlest primo. He was getting heavy. “You didn't look down.” Dolores had a look of utter horror, but she smiled and pinched his cheeks, saying, “Un diablito.”

Antonio giggled as he pulled his face out of her fingers. Tía Pepa came up then and said as she took Antonio, “That’s a beautiful broach, Dolores. A Gift from Mariano?” Dolores blinked and put a hand over the trinket. When she said nothing, her Tía added, “Anything else you want to tell me?”

Isabela was having a tough time keeping the laughter under control and ended up snorting. Dolores shot her a look, and Isa covered her mouth with her hands. Dolores was looking past her mother, eye contact was to be avoided at all costs, “I…ummm… I…” Dolores was never a good liar, just took her too long to come up with a good one. It was clear that her mother had already guessed what was going on when Isa saw the tiny rainbows jumping about in her Tía’s cloud. The frown on Tía’s face was a sham. She wasn’t the least bit mad. Isa now standing off to the side, surreptitiously pointed up, so Dolores could see. Her cousin’s eyes flitted up and Dolores relaxed a little and a small smile crept on to her face. Her father came up then, alerted by her mother’s cloud that something was up. Her Tía passed Antonio to her Tío and moved even closer to her. Dolores cleared her throat and said in an everyday tone, “I asked Mariano to marry me.” There was no reaction, so Dolores tipped her head the way she did when she was listening to something and said in a shy voice, “He said yes.”

Tía Pepa’s smile was instantaneous, her father was also smiling. The tiny rainbows grew and Tía Pepa turned quickly and pulled Abuela closer, “Mamá, did you hear? Dolores and Mariano are getting married!”

“What? Why, that is wonderful news. Congratulations, Dolores. We’ll need to have the Guzmán’s over for dinner to celebrate.”

Dolores still had her head tilted, and she rolled her eyes and asked, “Why not tonight, Abuela?” She took her abuela’s hand and went through the dining room in the plaza, with Isabela, Tía and Tío following close behind. Dolores leaned into Isa and said, “Mariano already spilled it to his mother.” This time, Isabela let out a full-blown laugh that took everyone by surprise. The doorbell chimed and Casita opened the door. Mariano, who looked jumpy as a cat, was there with his mother, who was looking very, very happy.

Mirabel poked her head out of the kitchen and said, “Time to Eat! Oh, hello, Mariano, Señora Guzmán…” Mirabel noticed Dolores’s doe eyed expression as she looked at Mariano and said, “Mamá, looks like two more for dinner.”

 

 




The initial chapters were character studies... That being said, a story of sorts popped into me head. Modifications have been made to avoid the inevitable plot holes. Sorry, it is a vagary of my writing method. You should also note - a lot of these scenes will be overlapping and seen from multiple POV's - so if things seem jumpy at times, I suggest we blame Einstein - Apparently time can be funny like that. When I began this story it was primarily dealing with those shiny new doors and what opening them again meant for the various family members. As often happens when I write, characters wander in, and say stuff I am not expecting. Then I have to deal with them. Now you get to, too.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Achitka All rights reserved.
Achitka has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.