General Fiction posted February 1, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An exercise in futility?

Your Favorite Fiction Character

by Wayne Fowler


My wife read something online and then asked me who my favorite fictional character was. How do you answer that? I didn’t know, so rather than ignore my beautiful bride, which I would never do, I blurted a response that I knew would meet her approval, “Gus McCrae. Or Newt.” Of course, everyone will recognize Larry McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove.” Endearing, loveable, loyal, brave and competent. What’s not to like?

“Scout, from Mockingbird,” she offers.

“But Atticus is the hero,” I replied to an expression of a straight-faced emoji. “Or maybe Bilbo, for escape and adventure.” Tolkien’s hobbit could easily own a reader’s imagination. “But Frodo, if you were going to be honest about it: youth, valor, responsibility, compassion… Or maybe Spiderman,” I remark, changing the medium but remaining true to the concept.

“Or Thor,” my wife counters, her eyes doing something weird that I try to ignore. “But that’s like trying to name your favorite Beatles song. It depends on too many factors. You can’t name just one.”

“Wouldn’t it be easy to prove?” I ask. “How many times you’ve reread a book, rewatched Genie of I Dream of Genie on your big screen TV, or called up a particular song on YouTube? How can Dorothy not be a person’s favorite if The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is the only movie they’ve seen five hundred times?”

“Or Ralphie of A Christmas Story?” she counters.

I respond with a shuddering tremor. “The Lone Ranger, Rocky Balboa, The Terminator?” My expression is a taunt that is quickly returned.

“Gilligan, or Ritchie, or Doogie Hauser?”

“Ellie May, or Ginger, or Taylor Swift?” I retort, cheating with the inclusion of Taylor, which my wife allows since we’re talking pure fiction, anyway. “Curly Joe,” I said, soliciting my desired response, a priceless, undefinable, by me, expression of something between disgust and incredulity.

“It’s all too subjective,” she replies after a moment’s hesitation. “There are too many. And it depends on your mood, or …”

“What you had for breakfast,” I finish.

We both offer silence, unable to settle on a satisfying conclusion to the dilemma. Finally, I say “Ohmie.” Ohmie, of course, is a fictional character of my own – 80-some short stories and a novella-length tale. A boy mostly, but some stories of him in adulthood.

“Ohmie,” my wife agrees.




Recognized


About 80 Ohmie stories have been posted here on FanStory, as well as 'The Best Time of Ohmie's Life'.
I apologize to my Australian friends for not including Crocodile Dundee. (smiley face here)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.