General Fan Fiction posted January 24, 2024 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Fan Fiction based on the Disney movie 'Encanto'

A chapter in the book Doors

Follow the Butterfly!

by Achitka



Background
Mirabel forgave her Abuela, but what about everyone else? Will they forgive her as readily? What all happened during the reconstruction? How do you encourage others to move past the past? How will the

Luisa shortened her stride when she realized Isabela was falling behind. When her sister caught up, they entered Casita and walked into the kitchen, both stopped. Everything was clean. Not a dish or pot out of place…They looked at one another and said together while patting the countertop, “Thank you, Casita.”

Casita clattered its tiles and the sisters walked out into the plaza. “So now what?” Isa asked.

“Well, there was something else I wanted to show you,” Luisa said, “That’s why I asked Cam to take Mira with him.”

“Wait? What? You asked him and he did?”

Luisa looked at her sister, rolled her eyes, and said, “Come on, it’s in Mira’s room.”

They left the kitchen and headed upstairs. They reached Mirabel’s room, and Isa seemed surprised to see her flowers were still in place. Not a petal lost, she felt a moment of pride seeing how strong they were. Gone were the days of shedding flower petals wherever she went. Casita’s door below them opened, and they heard Tía Pepa and Tío Félix speaking softly. Looking over the rail into the courtyard, they watched as Félix put a sleeping Antonio into the hammock and covered him with a small blanket. Parce laid down beneath it and their Tío and Tía went to sit on the small balcony there. Luisa opened Mira’s door and ushered Isa in, being very careful to shut the door quietly. Once inside, Isa whispered, “So what was it you needed to show me?”

“Turn around,” Luisa whispered back and then asked, “Why are we whispering?”

Isa shrugged and gasped a little when she looked at the inside of Mirabel’s door. The depictions of the trees were very lifelike. “I was here last night; how did I miss this?”

“So, what kind of trees are they?” Luisa asked.

“The larger is an oak tree. The smaller is a jacaranda.”

Every detail was perfect. Isa could not resist and touched the trunk of the larger tree and pulled her hand back quickly.

“What’s wrong?” Luisa asked.

“Nothing. Have you touched it?”

“Just to open and close it this morning, but umm...did you feel anything, I mean just now.”

“I thought I felt…” Isa trailed off, taking a small step back.

“Like Abuela was watching?” Luisa asked.

Isabela’s eyes went wide, and she nodded as she took another step back. Luisa put a hand on her arm and gently turned her toward the door to their left. The door was open, and Isa again took a small step back. They both turned back to the door and Luisa asked, “You see now why I wanted you to see this?”

“Dios Mio, poor Mirabel.”

Casita pushed a couple of chairs their way and both sat down heavily. Neither said anything for a bit until Luisa shifted and Isa got up. She looked more closely at the door again. More specifically, at the larger tree. Some of the leaves were curling around the edges, and there were a few that had fallen, though Isa was sure they were not there before. She turned to Luisa and waved her over. Luisa got up and Isa pointed to what she was seeing. Luisa looked confused and when Isa looked again the fallen and curling leaves were gone.

“What am I looking for, Isa?”

Isabela said nothing, she looked back to Abuela’s door and said, “Nothing, I guess. Thought I saw some sick leaves. Probably just my imagination.”

“Are you sure?” Luisa asked, she turned Isa to face her and said, “I was only here for a few minutes this morning. But I kind of feel like this tree,” she said as she pointed to the larger, “and the butterfly on top are a representation of Abuela and the smaller tree and butterfly are Mira,” Her eye flicked to the two corners that held butterflies. “You see?” Isa nodded, “Right now they’re both in balance, a mirror of one another.”

“Okay.”

“When I came to get Mirabel this morning, the smaller was a few inches over the small hand, as if testing its wings. Mira was a puddle of happy tears because of her room, but the larger butterfly’s wings were drooping, and it was barely holding on to that fingertip. Abuela was not in here then.”

The curled leaves returned, and Isa pointed to them and said in a rush, “There, they’re back.” Isa refused to take her eyes off them, but Luisa again said she saw nothing. Isa blinked, and they were gone again, and she asked softly, “Why do they keep vanishing like that?”

Both sat back on the chairs to think it through. “Maybe it has something to do with your Gift,” Luisa said, “You are the plant goddess after all.”

“Luisa…”

“Yeah.”

“Never do that again.”

“Do what?”

“Call me a goddess. Do not even want to think about trying to live up to something like that.”

Luisa looked at her and said, “You got it, Sis, I will just refer to you as the crazy plant lady.”

Isa smiled, “That might even be accurate.”

“So, do you think you would know if a plant was sick?”

“I don’t know, I used to be able to see imperfections in the flowers I made, but I’m gonna need to try some stuff. Do some research. I’ve only been making other plants since literally yesterday.”

“True.”

“You know, Dolores was of the mind that the Miracle and Casita are tied to our sister somehow.”

“Camilo said something similar. He said when he opened his door last night it made him think of Mirabel,” Luisa sighed, “I’m more than a little worried about what this door means for our little sister.”

“Me too. I know what Abuela’s constant attentions will do to your head.”

“What time is it?” Luisa asked and looked at the clock. “Oh wow, it’s almost 3:30. Everyone’s going to be back soon.”

“Yeah, and we still need to find out what upset Mira, too.”


Mariano walked along the streets of the Encanto with Dolores on his arm and not a care in the world. Or at least that’s what he thought. She silently took his hand and guided him to an area some distance from the center of town. The glade they ended up in was fully surrounded by trees and brush. At one side, near a stream, there was a small building that held a few blankets and books. Mariano realized why she had brought him here; it was a quiet place. The sounds of the Encanto were distant and for him barely audible.

He reached over and spread the blankets on the grass, and together they sat. Dolores had not said a word since leaving Casita nor had she really smiled.

“Dolores?” Mariano started, but she held up a hand and closed her eyes for a moment. She took a few deep breaths and then opened them, seeming relieved about something.

“I’m sorry, Mariano, just needed a moment.”

Mariano nodded and said in a much quieter tone, “Do not be sorry. You’re still you, we just have a new thing to work through, and I will do my best to learn quickly. You are dear to me. If you ever need a quiet place to run to, wherever the place may be. I will follow you to the end of the world if needs be.”

Dolores smiled and immediately started crying. Mariano was horrified, had he done something wrong? “Dolores?” he whispered. She only cried harder, so Mariano decided the best he could do was wait and hold her close.

Eventually, the flow of tears stopped and Dolores pulled a hankie from her pocket. She blew her nose and dabbed at the tears still on her cheeks and said a little shakily, “You are such a good man, Mariano. I’m so lucky to have you…” She gathered up his hands.

Uh oh, he thought, maybe he did do something wrong.

“I know I said we should wait, but…” When she looked up and saw the look of concern on his face, she tilted her head and gently cupped his cheeks in her hands as she said, “Let’s get married.”

Mariano’s jaw dropped, “Wha…What? When?” he could not keep the excitement from his voice.

“Oh, not for at least a year.” Dolores said, “You’ve only had a few hours of the chaos that is my family. You’re going to need to spend a lot more time with them, now that we're all living in Casita again.”

“I dated your cousin for-”

“You dated Isabela when she was playing ‘Señorita Perfecta,’ Dolores corrected. “Probably the only one you’ve had any experience with, and that is not who Isa really is at all.”

Mariano’s head was spinning, he was so happy, but he nodded, “Well, I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone better.”

“You are so adorable, mi amor,” Dolores said and lightly kissed him, “We’ll need to start with my parents.”

“Uh…okay,” he was having trouble focusing, “Can we invite my mother along?” 

“Yes, of course,” Dolores said and kissed his cheek, then added as she pulled away, “She makes the best buñuelos. I’m gonna need to learn that recipe.”

Mariano felt like the world had been taken from him as she moved away, then he remembered the token he had bought for her to celebrate Casita being finished.  He cleared his throat with an effort and said, “Well, since we are engaged, I want to give you this,” Mariano reached into his pocket and pulled out a small broach. “It’s not a ring, but…” he held it out to her. It almost felt like it was his heart he was holding, and his hands were shaking for no particular reason.

Dolores picked up the broach and said, “It’s agreed then, the engagement is our little secret.” And she took off the choker from around her neck. She pulled the small charm from it, then threaded the broach on to it and replaced it.

“How does it look?” she asked, using her hands to frame it while turning her head slightly.

“It’s beautiful on you.” Mariano said and sighed.

Dolores’s smile slipped, and she turned her head a little more. Mariano had been paying attention. He had seen her do the same thing the night before when she heard something that concerned her.

“Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, I will tell you about it on the way back.”

“We are leaving?”

“Yes. Come on.” She held out her hand and he got up. They folded the blankets and put them back on the shelves.

“So, what’s happening?”

“We need to run a little interference for Mirabel. Ay, Camilo, why now.”

Mariano had no idea what was happening, but he trusted Dolores. So, he took her hand, and together they followed the path that led back to the Encanto.


“So, what is it you need to talk to me about?” Mirabel asked as she joined Camilo, who was already starting toward a group of teenagers.

Camilo paused as she caught up and said, “Costumes. I need costumes.”

“How many costumes?”

“Six, four for boys and two for girls.”

“That’s a lot of costumage, primo,” Mirabel said wryly.

“I know, and I meant to ask a lot sooner, but you’ve been so busy with Casita I kept forgetting.”

“Okay, but why all the others,” she said, nodding toward the group that was now moving toward them.

“They say they can help.”

“I know Bea and Bri can help, but David and Renzo?”

“They said they can get the material.”

“Okay, where are the actors?” she asked, and Camilo pointed to a group of kids playing under a tree under the watchful eye of their parents. “Oh, that’s right. Seriously, though, how long do I have to do this?”

“About a month,” Camilo said a little sheepishly, “Do not forget the Ramirez twins said they could help.”

Mirabel just sighed and said, “Yeah, with Bea and Bri’s help, we can probably get that done. Well, to start I’m gonna need some paper, a pencil or two and a measuring tape.”

“You got it, prima,” Camilo said and leaned closer to David and Renzo, they both nodded and took off. Bea and Bri came over then and stood near Mirabel, completely ignoring Camilo.

“Good afternoon, ladies,” Camilo said as he tilted his head, narrowing his eyes with his most charming smile, Mira thought he looked a little creepy when he did that. The sisters did not respond, so Camilo said, “I’m going to collect the kids.” He turned and walked off in that direction.

Mirabel turned to the sisters and said, “Seriously, you two could at least say hello.”

“Sorry, Mira,” Bea said, “but Camilo said he would help us if we helped him, and now it looks like he may not do what he said.”

That did not sound like Camilo at all, “What did he promise to do?”

The girls looked at one another and said, “Kittens.”

“Kittens?”

“We have some, they’re too young to leave their Mamá right now,” Bri said.

“But we need to find homes for them,” Bea said.

“Camilo promised to take them,” Bri said.

“Really…”

Both nodded and Mirabel said, “You don’t need to worry. If Camilo said he would   do it. He will. He’s mildly dependable like that. He sometimes forgets what he says, but my primo would never break a promise.”

“If you say so, Mira,” Bri said.

Camilo returned with the children in tow, each was carrying a small sack, and they were talking so fast, but there were only five of them.  Camilo and had them sit in a row as David and Renzo also appeared, laden down with various items. They’d brought more than paper and pencils. They also had various lengths of cloth. They sat down, placing the items in front of them.

Mirabel leaned toward Camilo and whispered, “Kittens.”

Camilo gave her a look, then his eyes went wide, and he said, “Ladies, I almost forgot, when will the kittens be old enough?”

The girls smiled when Mirabel winked and said together, “In about a month.”

“Perfect,” he said.

Bea and her sister picked up the paper, pencils and measuring tapes, (they brought two) and set about measuring the kids.

“You said you needed 4 boy sets…who’s missing?”

“Antonio.”

“How’d you talk him into that?”

“I’m his big brother, I can talk him into anything.”

“Uh huh,” Mira said skeptically. She sat down near the boys and grabbed some of the paper while waving to Camilo to sit next to her. He did, and she asked him to describe what he was looking for while looking around for the pencil. David reached behind her and handed it to her. He was blushing and Mira took it with a quiet “Gracias, David”

Camilo noticed she was no longer paying attention and said, “David, now is not the time-” Camilo stopped abruptly when Mira shot him a look. David sat back, but they could hear Renzo laughing quietly in the background. Camilo cleared his throat and started to describe what he saw in his head. Mira could tell he was jumping from character to character because when she finished with her sketch and showed it to him, he said, “That is not what I’m seeing in my head.”

“Why not just shift, and she can sketch that,” Renzo said.

“Not sure I can,” said Camilo thoughtfully.

“No, you can, Camilo. Remember when we were smaller, and you shifted into Abue…lo-” Even as the words were leaving her mouth, Mirabel realized, too late, what she said. Camilo went completely still. Mirabel knew he was remembering Abuela’s tirade afterward. She touched his arm and said, “I’m sorry, Cam. I did not think before I said that.”

“It’s alright, was a long time ago. Anyway, might as well give it a shot. Juancho come on over here.” Camilo said and stood up.

The boy set down his empty coffee cup and stood in front of Camilo. He shifted, and Juancho laughed to see himself standing there. Camilo shifted a second time, but this time it was only the clothing that changed. The shirt was a little too tight and the pants too short, this sent Juancho into a real fit of laughter. Camilo shifted again, and this time it was too long. The fourth time, Camilo held his arms out, jumped a little off the ground and when he landed, everything fit.

“How’s this?” Camilo asked in Juancho’s voice.

“Not bad, primo,” Mirabel said and set to sketching the clothes. She made Cam/Juancho turn and stand in different positions. Regular Juancho mirroring the poses. The whole thing was just so darn cute. Overall, it was faster than him trying to describe it to her.

They worked their way through each of the five and as they were finishing with Cecilia, they heard a lot of people shouting. Mira turned in time to see Antonio on Parce bounding toward them. The other children huddled together as the big cat slid to a halt and Antonio said in a rush as he jumped off Parce, “I’m not too late, am I Camilo!”

“Right on time, hombrecito,” Camilo said and shifted to his little brother in full costume.

“Wow, I’m gonna look cool.” And he, too, mimicked his brother’s poses.

Parce had laid down next to Mirabel, and the twins came and sat near her. The other kids, while hesitant at first, also sat near her. David and Renzo came closer, but Mirabel was not paying attention to them, she was focused on getting the details of her sketch right. She smiled when she finished and started when she saw all the people around her. Alejandra touched her hand and looked worriedly at Parce and whispered, “He won’t eat us, right?”

Mirabel waved Antonio over and said, “Alejandra wants to know if Parce will eat her.”

Antonio looked horrified and Mirabel gave him a look and tilted her head toward Alejandra that said, I’m not the one asking. Antonio turned to Alejandra, and she repeated her question. He smiled and said, “No, he won’t eat you.” Cecilia asked if it was okay to pet him and Antonio said, “You can pet him, but you should ask him first.” He sat down next to Mirabel by Parce’s head and encouraged the other kids to come closer. They, of course, did, and several of the parents came over to check on their kids, who were now sitting very close to the 200-pound jaguar. Parce to his credit, paid the children little mind, only chuffing once when someone stepped on his tail.

It was getting crowded, so Mirabel scooched away, fumbling with her paper, and bumping into David. Then Camilo was in front of her holding out a hand, which she took, and he hauled her up. She wasn’t sure if Dolores had had a chance to tell Camilo about Tío Bruno. She had planned to tell Antonio about it while they were picking flowers, but that had not quite gone to plan. She wondered if Isa had mentioned it. “Hey Cam, did Dolores have a chance to talk to you about Tío?”

Camilo shook his head and said, “No, why, what’s up.”

Mirabel pulled him a few feet away from the pile of people admiring Parce and spoke in low tones. “Tío had a spontaneous vision last night.”

“Really? Camilo asked and said, “I’m assuming he’s okay, since he was a breakfast.” Mirabel nodded and told him everything Abuela said the night before. “Has there been any others?”

“Not that I know of, but I’m not with him all the time either. Either way, Abuela said we should be on the lookout and find one of our mothers if we see it happen again.”

Their conversation was interrupted by Bea and Bri who handed Mira the measurements and said, “We have to go.”

“Oh, okay. Thanks so much for your help today. We truly wouldn’t have been able to do this without you.”

“Yeah, thanks,” Camilo added as he briefly touched each one on the arm and said, “looking forward to meeting those kittens.” The twins smiled shyly and backed away, until both abruptly turned and ran off. Camilo was surprised by their reaction, and he elbowed Mirabel. “Why are they like that?”

Mirabel watched the retreating forms of the Ramirez sisters and said, “Cam, they be smitten with you.”

“No… both of them?”

Mirabel shrugged and added, “Well, actually I think it’s more just Brianna, she’s the one who asks the most questions.”

“Which one was Brianna?” he asked.

“The one that was on the left.” Mirabel answered, “She’s usually the one on the left, if that helps.”

“I don’t know, I feel like if I get it wrong…”

“Everyone does. Anyway, Bri plays with her hair when she’s nervous, Bea will cross her arms and look at her sister…”

“Mira! Camilo!” That was Antonio’s voice, and he sounded weirdly excited. The two of them turned back to see there were even more people surrounding Antonio and Parce. The jaguar was on his feet but not moving because of all the small children on his back. Parents were shouting, other people were jostling, and Antonio looked determined to keep them all safe.

“WHAT IS GOING ON!” a voice shouted.

There was a corresponding clap of thunder and most everyone went quiet. New thunder rolled as her Tía Pepa stood near the center of the plaza. Mira saw Tío Félix making his way toward Parce and Antonio. Her Tío led the jaguar away from the crowd and once free of them, the other kids who all looked shaken up were collected by their parents. Each thanking Félix or Pepa for the safe return of their kids. None blamed Camilo or Mirabel. The folks just gotten out of hand for some reason. Camilo apologized to each kid as they went by with their families. The crowd dispersed, and soon it was only the Madrigals standing near the old oak. David and Renzo were just out of earshot, both laden with fabrics they’d procured.

“You okay, Antonio?” Mirabel asked.

“Yeah, I was more worried about the other kids. It was Parce’s idea for them to climb up on him. He’s a really smart jaguar.” Parce let out a growl and Antonio patted his head.

“Mirabel?” her Tía asked, “Do you know what happened?”

“No,” she said clutching her papers, “we were just doing the sketches for some costumes and then there were people everywhere.”

“Camilo?”

“No idea, like Mira said, we were working on the costume designs and then ‘bam’ people everywhere.”

Pepa nodded and said they should all head for home. Antonio was about to protest, but Parce growled and Antonio mumbled “Fine,” and the pair turned to head home. Camilo turned to go, but Mirabel sat down and started arranging the papers that were starting to slip out of her hands. Camilo would have helped her except David came up then and handed him a stack of cloth, then knelt to assist Mirabel.

“Oh, hi David,” Mirabel said as she messed with her unruly pile of papers.

“Let me help you with that,” he said, and managed to catch a page that had escaped her.

Mirabel smiled and said, “Thanks, David.”

“Can I walk you home?” he asked.

“Yes,” Mirabel said, and together they started toward Casita.

Camilo opened his mouth to say something but closed it when he heard his sister call his name. He looked over, and she waved to him to come over to her. Well, David wasn’t a bad guy. Mira would be fine, he told himself. Dolores called him again, and so he went over to where his sister and Mariano were standing.

“Why do you do that?” Dolores asked.

“Do what?” Camilo replied while balancing the folded-up material.

Dolores sighed and turned him toward home. “Let’s go, little brother, you have cakes to finish.”


Alma sat on the veranda of Sylvia Guzmán’s home, sipping mint tea and enjoying buñuelos her friend had made the day before. A little stale, but still delicious just the same. Alma had never really made friends with the women of the Encanto prior to the breaking. She could see now how that was a mistake. She closed herself and her family off in her need to control everything happening around her.  Everyone needs someone to talk to, even if that person does not completely understand. She had also reached out to Félix’s parents while he, Pepa and their family were staying with them during the rebuilding. They were delighted to have their son, his wife, and his children with them every day. Pepa took to full-time mothering in a way Alma did not expect. She spent her time getting to know all about them, Antonio most of all. Gaining and losing his Gift so quickly had been very hard on him. Félix encouraging her the entire time. She had clearly underestimated her daughter’s ability to raise her children.

Agustín’s family were not as welcoming. She could not blame them either, she had not welcomed their son into her family with the enthusiasm she had shown for Félix. She had often limited their contact with their granddaughters, even Mirabel. Another mistake she truly regretted. They were, however, very welcoming to their son’s family. Julieta was, very cool to her in the months following the breaking. While there was no outright hostility, she made it very clear that she would not force any of her children to spend time with her. Her workload did not decrease, it only changed from healing with magic food to using more traditional methods. Julieta also let her know that she and Agustín were considering not moving back to the Casita when it was finished. She did not want to think about that, doing so always left her weepy, a part of herself she did her best to ignore lately.

She was jolted from her thoughts when she felt someone touch her arm, she almost dropped the buñuelo she was about to put in her mouth. There was no one here beyond herself and Sylvia, who was on the other side of the small table they were sharing on the veranda overlooking the plaza. Alma dismissed it as her imagination.  Alma covered her discomfort by pouring herself another cup of mint tea.

“Alma, are you alright?” Sylvia asked.

“I felt a chill, nothing to worry about,” Alma said, finishing the buñuelo. Sylvia nodded, but from her experiences with Alma, she could tell when she was holding something back. She took a sip of her tea...still watching, and Alma became aware of her friend’s scrutiny. Watching her over the rim of her cup. “What?”

Sylvia put her cup down and said, “Well, I don’t quite know how to put this. Now that the magic has returned, I’m a little worried about my Mariano’s relationship with Dolores.”

Here it comes, thought Alma, aloud she said, “They seem quite smitten with one another. What are your concerns?”

“Dolores’s Gift…” Sylvia started then faltered at the blank look she was getting from Alma, “What I’m trying to say is… I know you had other plans… husband-wise for her,” again she stopped, and she flushed. “I just don’t want Mariano’s heart to be broken again.”

Alma blinked, “What has that to do with Dolores’s Gift?” she was genuinely confused now.

“You know now that I’m saying it aloud…I’m sorry, Alma, I don’t know what I was thinking. Dolores clearly adores Mariano, and they do look so cute together.”

“Yes, she speaks of little else to her primas,” Alma said and gave Sylvia a reassuring smile and picked up her teacup again.

“Has she said anything about getting married?”

Alma choked a little on her tea and set the cup down. “Sylvia, they’ve barely been going out for three months. Let’s try not to rush them into anything.”

“Well, you can say that. You already have grandchildren.”

Did she ever, Alma thought, and for once, that did not make her feel anxious, angry or in any way unhappy. Being forced to let go of her expectations, her relationships with her grandchildren, though strained even now, she felt were slowly getting better. Though it was clear they all had a certain amount of anxiety that was tied solely to her. It’s not like she had anyone but herself to blame for it. Time is what is needed, time she was not sure she had.

She certainly did not fault Isabela or Luisa for avoiding her now. Isa, given her true personality, made Alma wonder how she had managed it for the length of time she did. She was grateful that Isa had managed to cast aside the wedge Alma had pushed so firmly between her and her sisters. Alma worried she had done permanent damage, but to her great relief the sisters had managed to move past her earlier machinations.

Luisa was a whole other problem. Alma had to admit to herself she used her Gift unmercifully without regard as to how it was affecting her granddaughter. In the days after Luisa’s Gift Ceremony, this list of things she wanted to accomplish got longer and longer, and Luisa’s Gift was always just what was needed. Julieta or Agustín had many times taken Luisa home so she could rest, regardless of what Alma had said about finishing her work. She had almost used her granddaughter up, body and spirit, it was no wonder the miracle died as it did.

“Alma,” Sylvia said, pointing across the plaza. “Isn’t that Camilo and Mirabel?”

Alma looked out over the plaza and saw them near the great oak. They were doing something with the children Camilo regularly helped care for. She thought a moment and said, “Yes, Camilo is preparing a play and the children are the actors.”

“Oh, that sounds like it will be marvelous, when will it be ready?”

“In about a month, I believe.”

“You must be so proud of him; he has always been a crowd pleaser.”

Alma did not respond; she had once thought his Gift to be useless. Never asking him to do things that were needful. Camilo found his own purpose within ‘The Family.’ Always doing what he could to support the townsfolk with their burdens. During the past year, she was approached by one of the Encanto’s oldest teachers. They mentioned that they were wanting to retire and asked if Camilo might be interested in an apprenticeship and take over some of the classes at the school when he was ready. Alma had dismissed the idea out of hand, never even bothering to see if her grandson would be interested in such a thing. Mistake #4,538,276.

Ay woman, what a mess you’ve created for your progeny. She made a mental note to talk to Pepa about it.

There were shouts heard and Alma stood to see what all the commotion was about. Just Antonio and his jaguar bounding across the plaza to where his brother was. Totally normal for a Madrigal. Mirabel, she noticed, was sitting on the ground working on something, not paying attention to the people around her. It disturbed Alma how readily they were drawn to her now. She would need to talk to Julieta about that. She had a disturbing recollection of the last miracle’s creation aftermath. How people were drawn to her and the candle. Only this time, Mirabel herself was the source. More people came and sat near her as Camilo helped his prima from the growing crowd. They moved a short way away, discussing something. Antonio noticed the crowd as well and was helping the other small children onto the jaguar’s back, not looking panicked at all. Then there was jostling, and angry shouts from people being pushed by those behind them. Alma was about to go out there but stopped when she heard Pepa shout:

“WHAT IS GOING ON!”

The corresponding clap of thunder caused most everyone to go quiet. New thunder rolled as Pepa stood near the center of the plaza. Daring anyone to move as Félix was making his way toward the jaguar and Antonio. Pepa’s aim with her lighting was pinpoint, and most people in the Encanto knew that. Félix led the jaguar away from the crowd and once free of them, the other kids, who all looked shaken up, were collected by their parents.

Alma sighed and sat back down. As she took another sip of her tea, Sylvia said with a snort, “You know Alma, it’s been downright dreary for the past year, and I’ve got to admit that life with the Madrigals is never boring.”

Alma smiled then, seeing the ridiculousness of it all, and let loose some genuine laughter.  


 

Bruno Madrigal was making his way back to Casita by skirting the edge of town. Avoiding people was something he had become very good at. He paused when he noticed Mirabel and Camilo near the great oak. He backed into the shadow of a shop doorway to watch. Neither seemed aware of all the people who were stopping what they were doing and coming over to watch what they were doing. Antonio was there with Parce, pulling the other small ones up behind him. Smart kid.

Then chaos erupted, but that was quickly snuffed by Pepa. The thunder faded and Bruno relaxed, thankful that he would not need to wade out into that mass of townsfolk. Pepa could totally handle this, so he started back toward Casita. He came around a corner and ran smack into Agustín and Julieta, who were headed toward the shouting to find out what was going on.

“Sorry Bruno,” Agustín said, “Do you know what’s going on over there?”

“Crowd control,” Bruno replied, “Pepa’s got it handled.” He was about to leave, but Bruno remembered his promise to his sister. Knew he needed to let his sister know what he was thinking. He stopped and asked, “Juli, do you remember when we were little how sometimes people would follow Mamá around for hours?”

“Ay, no,” Julieta said in disbelief, “You’re not saying they’re following Mira.”

Bruno nodded and said, “I don’t even think they knew why they wanted to be near her.”

Agustín was listening, but his expression showed his anger. Anger for all things Madrigal.





The initial chapters were character studies... That being said, a story of sorts popped into me head. Modifications have been made to avoid the inevitable plot holes. Sorry, it is a vagary of my writing method. You should also note - a lot of these scenes will be overlapping and seen from multiple POV's - so if things seem jumpy at times, I suggest we blame Einstein - Apparently time can be funny like that. When I began this story it was primarily dealing with those shiny new doors and what opening them again meant for the various family members. As often happens when I write, characters wander in, and say stuff I am not expecting. Then I have to deal with them. Now you get to, too.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Achitka All rights reserved.
Achitka has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.