General Fiction posted January 19, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Adults are not the sole observers of life.

The Care of Children

by howard11


There was a knock on the door. Fifteen-year-old Lucy Haynes moved her bookmark to the page telling of Huck in a dress and his failed attempt to fool a lady of the town. Closing the well-worn book, Lucy looked up and addressed the nearest twin, "Tommy, find out who's at the door."

"Okay, but don't read any more."

"I won't. Go!" Lucy was amazed. This was the second time the 10-year-olds had chosen 'Huckleberry Finn' for reading time and they listened as if they'd never heard of Tom and Huck.

Richie, youngest twin by 28 minutes pleaded, "Come on Sis, read some more."

"You know better than that. We must be fair. Go upstairs and tell Dad someone's at the door."

Richie popped up and hustled to the carpeted stairs where he was met by his descending father. "Dad, we have visitors!"

"Calm down. I heard." Matt Haynes, Coahoma County deputy sheriff, rarely got excited. After combat in Europe and eight years as a deputy, he worked hard to provide a calm family home life. He and wife Missy wanted their children to grow up easygoing, but mindful of the surrounding world.

"Sheriff's here with Mandy's father, announced Tommy as he led the two men into the parlor where Lucy stood up and greeted them.

Her father entered, Richie at his heels. "Trip, Merle, what gives us the pleasure of a visit on Sunday evening."

"My daughter's gone," blurted out Merle Dawson.

"Calm down, Merle. Get hold of yourself. We'll find her." Sheriff Trip Roberts spoke like a man in charge.

"Lucy, take the boys upstairs. Get them ready for bed, then finish the chapter you were in."

"Okay, Dad. Let's go guys." Lucy ushered the twins from the parlor to the stairs.

Matt closed the parlor doors and turned to his two visitors. "Trip, what's going on?"

"About 45 minutes ago, Merle called the office and said Mandy was missing."

"I looked everywhere," offered Merle.

"Matt, I've sent for Jacob and his dogs. Martin is at Merle's place looking for signs. Four or five others are on their way to meet us there. Unfortunately, my lumbago is acting hellish, so you are in charge of the search. My grandson Roy is in the truck out front waiting for us. "

"I'll grab some gear. Meet you outside shortly." After leading them to the front door, he headed upstairs and collected needed items. He went into the twins' room and gave the boys hugs with instructions, "Gentlemen, follow Lucy's orders."

Lucy walked with Matt to the top of the stairs. "How long, Dad?"

"Don't really know. Don't worry, I'll bring Blackjack into the house. Lock all the doors. The shotgun is in the hall closet, shells on top shelf. You'll be fine. Most of these type incidents end quickly with no one harmed."

"We'll be fine," said Lucy as she hugged her father."

"Lucy, you've done a good job with the twins while your mother has been gone. Next week, she'll be back to lighten your load. Come downstairs and lock the door behind me after I bring Blackjack in."

Family Labrador inside, Matt jumped into the back of the county's first official vehicle, a 3-year-old 1924 Ford truck. "Let's go!" He made himself as comfortable as possible as Roy eased the vehicle west along the four miles of old wagon road to the Dawson place.

In the Haynes house, Blackjack lay on the floor between the twins' beds. Lucy, legs crossed on the corner of Richie's bed, finished the Huck chapter. She closed the book and stood up, "Okay, say your prayers and get comfortable. I'm turning the light off."

"Lucy, is Mandy lost?" Asked a concerned Tommy.

"I'm not sure, but Dad will fix it. Now, go to sleep. Come, Blackjack." She turned out the light and the four-legged namesake of General John Pershing obeyed.

The black dog followed her to the parlor. Not tired and a little worried, Lucy picked up Louisa May Alcott's 'Little Men'. The book had become her primer on understanding growing boys.

Lucy sat herself in her Dad's favorite chair and began reading. Forty-plus pounds of faithful canine lay at her feet. Just over an hour later both were asleep.

Upstairs, the scene was similar. After idle talk in the dark, both twins fell asleep. More than an hour had passed, when abruptly, Richie sat up and spoke loudly, "Tommy, did you hear that? Something outside! Wake up Tommy!"

"Go back to sleep. You're dreaming again. I'm going to..." Tommy stopped when something clattered against the window glass between the boys' beds.

"I told you," trumpeted Richie.

"Okay. Look out and see if there is someone in the yard. Don't be afraid. I'm right here."

"Uh, nobody in the yard," Richie was unlocking the window, but Mandy is climbing from grandpa's oak onto the roof. She made it and she's crawling this way.

Tommy jumped out of his bed and helped Richie open the window.

"Help me inside," commanded the no longer missing 11-year old Mandy Dawson. Once through the window, she plopped onto the closest bed. Her light brown dress was torn and muddy in spots.

The boys pummeled her with questions. "Where have you been? Were you kidnapped? Did you escape? What happened? Men are out looking for you? Dad is with them."

"I used our hideout. Let me rest here for awhile," begged Mandy, adding, "No more questions."

Downstairs, Blackjack woke when Richie noisily sat up. When the window was opened, he heard Mandy's familiar voice. The dog stood up and gently went to Lucy and politely barked until he roused her. He walked to the parlor door and waited.

Lucy yawned, then stretched, and obediently followed the dog. She could hear the boys talking upstairs. She opened their bedroom door and Blackjack entered. He went straight to Mandy and rubbed against her. She rewarded him with a hug and a friendly, "Hey boy."

Lucy was taken aback to see Mandy in the room, even though she often saw her and the twins playing together in the summer, Blackjack alongside. Being Mississippi children, they often went by the Twain names of Tom, Huck and Becky. Yet, in this gathering, Lucy sensed none of the trio's usual frivolity.

Mandy spoke first, "Lucy, may I have something to eat?"

"Of course. I'll help you wash up and find something to wear. Tommy, you and Richie go down and heat the leftover soup Dad and I threw together yesterday. Be careful when you light the wood, and don't make a mess."

"On the way," Richie, slippers quickly on, made for the door.

"Slow down, I'm in charge!" Tommy never forgot he had 28 minutes of seniority. In this case, he trailed his brother.

"Mandy, let's separate ourselves from the demons that live here. Come on."

Lucy helped Mandy get clean and provided her with an old pink floral nightgown. "Girl, let's sit down and talk a minute."

"If you want," a hesitant Mandy said as she sat beside Lucy.

"My Dad and others are scattered near your house looking for you ... and here you are. Mandy, you are always welcome, but it's important you tell me how you got here and why in the middle of the night?"

"I ran away from home."

"Why in the world did you do that?"

Her voice saddened, Mandy muttered, "My father is mean."

"What did he do?"

"I don't think I should tell you."

"Mandy, there is no one in this family you can't talk to."

"I told Tommy and Richie before summer break, that I might run away."

Lucy was surprised that evidently her brothers had kept such a secret, especially from their father. "Mandy, I need to know why you said your Dad is mean. What did he do to you?"

"Not me. He did it to Mom. He yelled at her and hit her. It wasn't right. She's going to have a baby."

"Have you seen him do this before?"

"Yes. Most of the time when he drinks a lot."

Lucy thought Mandy needed a break from what was heavy on her mind. Food and sleep would help. "Time to find out if the boys messed the kitchen."

Miles away, Matt leaned against the truck door awaiting return of the fifth and last three-man search team. They emerged from the dark woods to the north and reported no sign of Mandy. The results were the same from all groups. No moon and heavy clouds made the situation very difficult.

"You boys jump on the truck. There's fresh coffee and some biscuits on the porch." Matt got in the truck and Roy headed it back to the house. Upon arrival, the searchers joined others and Merle on the porch.

Matt went inside and found the sheriff sitting in the kitchen with Merle's pregnant wife, Rose. "Still nothing, he said. "Don't worry, Rose, we'll find her when the sun comes up. More men will be here. For now, the searchers outside are breaking. You go lie down and rest."

"I am a little tired." She left the room.

"Trip, no Mandy, and no signs of her. We need daylight."

"That sounds reasonable. Matt, did you happen to notice Rose's dark shiner?"

Matt nodded.

The sheriff continued, "Rose told me Mandy accidently hit her while breaking away and running."

"Merle never mentioned that," commented Matt.

"He and I will discuss that point later," stated Sheriff Roberts.

"Trip, Mandy is around my house a lot. She is like another sister to my boys. I don't believe Mandy would leave home if she thought she had hurt her heavily pregnant mom."

"I trust your judgement, Matt, and we will get to the bottom of what happened here. But that doesn't change the fact we need to find the girl." The sheriff struggled to stand. " Have Roy take you home to check on your kids. Get some rest and please give Roy a place to catch some shut eye."

"Will do." Matt headed out, grabbing Roy off the crowded porch. Let's go." To the gathered searchers, "The rest of you use this opportunity to get some rest. We start again at sunup."

Matt and Roy jumped into the truck. Roy, chewing a biscuit, quickly returned the vehicle to the same wagon road used earlier.

To Matt's surprise, Roy, known as a quiet boy, struck up conversation a short distance down the road. "Deputy Haynes, with your permission, I would like to court Lucy."

This was a father hit by an unexpected lightning bolt. "I see. Son, how old are you?"

"Eighteen next month."

"Admirable, but Lucy will still be fifteen. Her mother and I will talk to Lucy about her plans for the future. If you still feel the same about her, Roy, come back when you turn 19 and we'll discuss it."

"Yes, sir."

Although a little subdued, Matt did not detect any give up in Roy's answer. "Okay. For now, try not to hit so many road ruts."

"Do my best."

When Lucy and Mandy entered the Haynes kitchen, they were surprised. Lucy pleasantly so, because the kitchen looked cleaner than it had after last night's supper. Mandy was in awe of the huge bowl of soup and bread slice set before her.

"Good job, men," praised Lucy. All were quiet while Mandy wolfed down the soup. This wasn't their active time of day.

Lucy, very tired herself, realized she had to get the young ones into bed. As soon as Mandy finished her soup, Lucy sent the boys to their room and gave her own bed to Mandy. Armed with an extra blanket, she and Blackjack returned to the study. Sleep ruled and upstairs quickly became quiet.

Soon, the truck arrived and Matt, about to exit the truck cab, turned to Roy, "Get your bedroll from the back and follow me."

"Yes, Sir."

Matt stepped onto the porch and heard Blackjack's 'welcome home' bark.

"Lucy shushed Blackjack as she opened the door. "Dad, I need to talk to you...Hello, Roy."

"Miss Lucy." Roy's jeans concealed shaking knees.

"Lucy I'm going to show Roy the food pantry where he can get a couple hours of well-deserved sleep."

"I'll wait in the parlor. Sleep tight, Roy." Lucy went into the parlor. Matt joined her and noticed an odd expression her face.

"Dad, the twins are asleep in their room and Mandy is sleeping in my bed."

"How long has she been here?"

"Maybe two hours or more. I had no way to get word to you. I figured it would be best to just to take care of her. She was a muddy mess when she crawled through the twins' window."

"On the roof?"

"Grandpa claimed his oak was the best natural ladder in the Mississippi Delta. Anyway, Mandy said she ran away because her father hit her mother. And not just once."

"Probably true. You were right to stay with the twins and keep Mandy here. Anything else I should know before I head back to inform the others she is safe."

"She told the twins before school ended, that she might have to run. They kept the secret."

"We will let that sit for now."

"What's going to happen to Mandy's father?"

"Up to a judge."

"Dad, Must you go back to the Dawson place right away?"

"I don't think so. Everyone should be resting like our pantry guest. By the way, how well do you know Roy?"

"Not much. Ran into him a couple of times in Clarksdale." Lucy changed subjects. "Dad, are you going to be away from home more when you take over for the sheriff next spring?"

"I actually hope to be home more. A successful leader trains and trusts those who serve him."

"Did the famous Gen. Blackjack tell you that when he visited the hospital?

"Oh no. That visit was what was called a morale stop. He gave out some medals and promoted three wounded soldiers. He shook a lot of hands."

"Shake yours?"

"Yes. I learned a lot about leadership in the army. I aim to be the best sheriff possible. Just like I'm working hard to be the best father and husband."

"Mom says you were perfect until that German bayoneted you, leaving the 4-inch scar on your thigh. Mom jokes you're damaged goods and only 99 percent perfect."

"Whew! I guess I'm fortunate she stuck with me."

"As for a father, you are already the best. I know Tommy and Richie agree with me. Now, lie down on the sofa and nap. Blackjack take the rug and I'll grab the chair."



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry


Alcohol related family violence was a key cause for passage of U.S. Prohibition law.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. howard11 All rights reserved.
howard11 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.