Supernatural Fiction posted January 16, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Axis Mundi

Brief Encounters

by Tom Horonzy

Axis Mundi Contest Winner 

 

Before the night leaves the dark, and the day arrives with the light ...  which can be the other way around when eventide arrives as Ole Sol surrenders its daytime lease, subletting to the dreadful night, replacing one another stealthfully at pre-designed times and places where everything becomes less clear in either Twilight Zones. 

Within the advent of these brief vaporous minutes, shadows writhe through the trees and in-between structures, penetrating every nook and cranny, like the fingers of death did, metaphorically written, when Herod sought the death of all newborn males.

 A frightening screech might shatter the air as an owl takes flight to claim a victim, adding to the clamor by screaming with a last gasp, again reminding me of the yelps Eygptian mothers likely yelled as their heir apparent was devoured.

In addition, silky dew exposes spun webs in the grass-bearing predaceous arachnids anxious to be fed what remains of the dead wrapped individually in their sarcophaguses.

Then, as surreptitiously as either arrives, twilight and twi-night silently dissipate like smoke from a burning pyre to await another encore performance. 
 



Axis Mundi
Contest Winner


Whoever organized an Axis Mundi had to have had a corrupted mind!

This photo-edited picture is my own of a Sunset in Red Rock Canyon, Az.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tom Horonzy All rights reserved.
Tom Horonzy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.