Romance Fiction posted December 25, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A short Christmas Story

By Magic

by PATRICIA SIMS

BY MAGIC

by Patricia Sims

Kay Ashley could hardly keep up with Timmy as they hurried through the mall in search of Santa. He had decided a few minutes earlier that tonight—Christmas Eve—would be the perfect time to share his wish list with Santa. Even though their funds were dangerously low, she could not deny her six-year old this traditional indulgence, nor did she question his timing.

Finally, they reached Santa’s station, but to their disappointment, Santa and the elves had disappeared. Timmy refused to budge, desperately looking for some sign of Santa in the busy mall.

“Santa, Santa!” He yelled, much to the amusement of several late shoppers who gave Kay a sympathetic smile.

She had to think of something fast or his disappointment would soon end in tears. At times like these she needed Brad’s help, but he had died six months earlier and she and Timmy would spend their first Christmas alone.

As she kneeled down to comfort him, he immediately flung himself into her arms with pitiful sobs shaking his small body. If only they could have arrived a few minutes earlier, she thought to herself.

“Did I hear someone calling for Santa?” A deep masculine voice asked.

Timmy slowly lifted his head in the direction of the voice. Tears glistened on his chubby, brown cheeks reflecting the gaily colored decorations in the mall. His dark brown eyes were wide with surprise and his little mouth formed a silent, “wow.”

As if by magic, Santa was towering above them with a wide grin. His eyes really do twinkle, thought Kay.

Timmy quickly left his mother’s embrace and threw his arms around Santa’s legs.

“I knew you would still be here!” He excitedly cried.. “I just knew it!”

 His excitement was contagious, and Santa began to laugh, lifting Timmy up into his arms.

“What are these, tears?” He asked. “Had you given up on Santa?”

 “I knew you were still here!” Timmy said with such confidence that Kay laughed to herself. He wasn’t so confident a few seconds ago, she thought.

 Santa carried Timmy over to his big chair where hours earlier excited children had revealed their wishes for the Christmas season while jubilant parents probably snapped pictures with smiles, anticipating their little ones’ happy faces on Christmas morning.

 How she envied them for there had been very little cheer at their home during this holiday season and her son would surely be disappointed on tomorrow morning.

 Brad’s death had left many financial obligations with the money from his life insurance running out within two months. Her salary from teaching in the small district was not enough to pay all the obligations and run a household as well. She was buying time just to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

  Now Timmy was pouring out his heart and soul to a total stranger expecting a magical event to occur. Soon he would have to accept the inevitable.

  She stood and watched her son for a few seconds as he talked on and on to Santa in a small hushed voice. Feeling somewhat detached, she walked over to a nearby bench and sat down. Tears welled in her eyes as thoughts of Brad crowded her mind. He had been her first love, and it was unlikely there would be anyone else. Before his death she could tackle any problem, but the fight had long since gone out of her and many times she had lost the fight to the tears that always seem to be present.

 “Mom?”

 Kay looked up to see the blurred outlines of Timmy and Santa standing in front of her. She quickly stood up.

“Mom, are you all right?” Asked Timmy.

She put on her brightest smile.

“Sure sweetie. I’m fine. Did you have a nice visit with Santa?”

“Yes! He said, if I’ve been good, Santa will be good to me. Tell Santa I’ve been good, Mom.”

“Yes Santa. He’s been the best son a mom could ask for. Thank you for taking time to see us.”

“You’re very welcomed, Mrs. Ashley.”

“Did you thank Santa for taking time to see you, Timmy?”

“He sure did. He’s a fine boy.” Said Santa. “Merry Christmas!”

 “Merry Christmas, Santa.” Said Timmy. And they began to walk away.

Timmy suddenly ran back and threw his arms around Santa’s legs, hugging him tightly.

 “I love you, Santa!” He said.

 Kay was sure Timmy had embarrassed Santa for he had a strange look in his eyes.

 She apologized for his behavior as she pulled him away and started home.

 The house was quiet, and Timmy had fallen asleep in anticipation of the magic he was sure to come. Kay tried to feel his enthusiasm, but the odds were too high.

 A light snow had begun to fall, and she was watching the swirling flakes from her window when a group of teenage carolers came into view. They came closer when they spotted her in the window and began to sing carols.

 As Kay listened to the familiar refrains, she felt a calm descending as her mind traveled to Bethlehem where the Christ child was born and the hope his birth brought to the world was rekindled in her heart. At that moment, she knew that she and Timmy would be all right as long as they had each other.

 The last song ended, and the carolers were silent as they waited for some sign from her. She went to the door and invited them in for cookies and hot cocoa. Soon the house was filled with laughter as the kids carried on silly banter back and forth.

 They left in a flurry of activity, retrieving hats, scarves and coats, thanking Kay for the refreshments, and shouting, “Merry Christmas.”

Shortly after they had gone, the doorbell rang, and she quickly answered it thinking that one of the carolers had left behind a much-needed glove or scarf.

 Instead, there stood a handsome man with a muscular build, holding a shiny red bike with a big red bow attached and carrying a big white box under his arm. Something about his eyes looked familiar. Kay was speechless. This must be a dream, she silently said to herself.

“Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!”

“Santa? I can’t believe you’re here. How did you find us?”

“You have a smart little boy. He gave me your address just in case my reindeer encountered visibility problems finding your house. It was a smart idea. Rudolph is a little off his game tonight.”

Kay laughed. “That’s cute, Santa. Please come in.”

 He pushed the bike over the threshold and followed Kay inside.

 “Where is he?” He asked looking over Kay’s shoulders.

 “He fell asleep hours ago with a smile on his face, thanks to you. I can’t believe you’ve brought a bicycle. He refused to give up! He never stopped believing in the magic.”

“Do you believe?” Santa softly asked.

“No, I wanted to… but—”

 “But?” He asked.

“It just didn’t seem likely.”

  Santa smiled.

“Where shall I put this?” He asked.

Kay led the way, and he placed the shiny new bike near the Christmas tree.

“I have some other things in the car for Timmy that I will bring in later. This is for you.”

 He held the large white box out to her.

 “I hope it’s the right size.” He added.

  Kay was speechless for a second time.

“I can’t accept this! I never expected anything—”

“This is also part of the magic. Timmy asked Santa to bring a new coat for his mom.”

 He smiled.

 “Please take it—try it on. We can’t stop the magic.”     

Slowly Kay reached out with trembling hands and took the box. She looked up at him with eyes that were wide with surprise and uncertainty. She opened the box and gently rubbed her hand over the dark chestnut wool material.

 “Its beautiful!” She said in a voice barely above a whisper.

 Santa removed the coat and helped her try it on. He led her to the mirror in the hallway and the transformation was remarkable. The coat was a perfect size complementing her almond- colored complexion as well.

“Well?” Asked Santa.

“I love it. Thank you very much. I can repay—”

 He quickly interrupted her.

"That won’t be necessary. Besides, it’s Christmas.”

 “What about your family? Surely…”

 “I don’t have a family except for my elderly parents. There is no Mrs. Claus.”

 “Still, you must be a busy man, and yet you’ve taken time to bring some happiness to my son. I don’t know how to thank you.”

 “I have an idea. How would you and Timmy like to have Christmas dinner at my parents’ home on tomorrow?”

 “But we’re total strangers. Your parents may not like that idea.”

 “Just a few moments ago I met a group of teenagers on the sidewalk who told me I had the nicest wife on the block. They said something about the best chocolate chip cookies and cocoa they had ever tasted. They were all strangers weren’t they, Kay?”

 She blushed.

“Yes, but that’s different.”

 “How is it different?”

“We’ve only just met. I don’t even know your name. I can’t continue to call you Santa, now can I?”

 “I’m sorry. I am Adam Brown, and I am not married as I have already stated, engaged or otherwise. I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Mrs. Ashley.”

 He held out his hand and Kay did not hesitate to shake his hand. His grasp was firm yet gentle. Something about that gesture calmed her and she felt Adam Brown was truly a gentleman.

 “Are you Adam Brown, editor of the Daily Chronicle?”

 “The same… You’ve seen my work?”

 “Don’t be silly. I enjoy reading the paper everyday.”

“Playing Santa Claus is one of my community service projects for the year and I really enjoy making kids happy.  Now, if we have cleared that up, may I pick you and Timmy up around twelve-thirty tomorrow afternoon?”

“Yes, Timmy and I would be honored to have dinner with you and your parents. Thank you very much.”

The joy on Timmy’s face the next morning was priceless. He walked around smiling to himself.

“Wow! He did it, Mom. I told you he was magic.”

 Later Kay explained to her small son they had a dinner invitation. As she helped him get dressed, she asked him to be good and not talk too much.

Around twelve-twenty in the afternoon, the doorbell rang, and Timmy answered it.

Kay walked into the foyer just as the door swung open.

 “Wow!” Said Timmy.

She and Adam exchanged greetings and she introduced him to her son. Soon he and Timmy were chatting like old friends. He accepted Adam’s presence without any questions and was truly on his best behavior.

 The drive to the home of Adam’s parents was uneventful and his parents seemed to know all the right things to say to make Kay and Timmy feel welcomed. Dinner was progressing nicely, and Kay had just begun to relax when the old Timmy resurfaced.

“Did Santa send you to be my new daddy?” He asked Adam.

 There was a hushed silence.

 Kay almost choked. She quickly excused herself and Timmy, dragging him from the dinner table into the hallway. She closed the double doors and slowly counted to ten silently.

“Timmy Ashley, how could you say such a thing?”

 “But Mom, it’s true!” He cried.

“Don’t, ‘But Mom me,’ young man! How could you embarrass me like that? Oh Timmy, why?”

 Timmy dropped his head.

“You don’t believe in the magic. You’ve never believed!” He cried.

This was all too much for Kay. The tears that were threatening to spill over a few seconds ago fell in big drops. She turned away from Timmy. She could not let him see her so weak and despondent.

 She heard a door opening and a few seconds later Adam was speaking to Timmy.

"Timmy, let me explain the magic to your mother. Why don’t you finish your meal?  We’ll be in soon.”

“Are you sure? She’s very angry.” Timmy said in a whisper.

“Yes, everything will be fine.”

Kay heard Timmy leave but was too embarrassed to turn around.

 “I don’t know where he gets these ideas, Adam. I’m so… so very sorry. I never expected him to say something like that. I can imagine what you must think of me, not to mention what your parents must be thinking right now. He’s usually well behaved and…”

"Kay, look at me.” He softly interrupted.

Kay slowly turned wiping the tears away with hands that were trembling. She expected to see anger and frustration but instead saw an unexpected gentleness.

“On last evening Timmy told me about his three wishes. He wanted a new coat to keep his mother warm and a new dad to make her laugh. And if some kid had changed his mind about getting a bike, he wanted to have it, even if it was a girl’s bike.”

“Timmy said that?”

“Yes, your son is very perceptive, Kay. Last night I had the perfect opportunity to be a real Santa Claus for a change. I had the resources to make him happy and there was no way I was going to let him down.”

“But how… It was late and nearly all the stores had closed.”

“I had some favors owed and last night I cashed in on them. I also told mother about you, and she wanted to meet the brave young woman raising a small child alone.

Kay was silent as her mind struggled to take in everything Adam was saying. He reached up and tenderly brushed away a wayward tear causing her heart to skip a beat.

 “You’ve accepted the other two gifts. Please don’t dismiss this third wish so easily from your mind. This wish is my first wish for the holiday season. I’ve grown tired of spending Christmas alone. Let’s give it time, Kay. Do you really want to stop the magic?”

Kay looked into Adam’s dark brown eyes, seeing her own reflection clearly mirrored in their depths.

 “No, we can’t stop the magic.”




Christmas Story contest entry


This is a short story designed to make anyone who does not believe in the magic of Christmas to believe again.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. PATRICIA SIMS All rights reserved.
PATRICIA SIMS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.