General Fiction posted December 23, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Santa has many skills.

The Night Santa Came to Dinner.

by Barry Penfold


PART ONE

Sally looked to the left and then to the right. She noticed the first appearance of a bike wheel and the large postal bag at the front. Then, the postman wearing a red and white Santa hat. Michael was his name, and Sally liked him. He was the postman who took her letter to Santa and promised to send it through to Santa. She would wait now and watch his journey down to her. As there was some way to go, her mind turned to the past and the hope she held for the immediate future. Her dog Pepper was fixated with a rather annoying fox terrier further down the street.

Waiting was just part of life as far as Sally was concerned. Waiting for the morning to arrive so as she could walk Pepper before breakfast. Waiting for the school bus and waiting for the final school bell of the day. But this very moment of waiting was the most important. There had been many disappointments. Twenty-one to be exact.

Her letter to Santa was quite short, but she had made sure it was made out in her best hand writing and spelling. It was also a little unusual in that it did not ask for presents for herself. Just a gift to help out her mum. She knew it would help her to, but it was mainly her mum. Her dad had passed away due to an illness and there was an emptiness, although they did their best to ignore it and still have some fun. Pepper helped with the fun part as well.

So where to turn? Christmas and Santa offered a chance to get some action. Santa was the obvious choice as the hero. Surely his kindness and powers would bring her mum a Christmas without compare.

"How are you today, Miss Sally?"

The sound of the voice startled Sally. She had completely floated away in thought and had not followed Michael's progress.

Sally made no immediate reply, but watched while Michael steadied his bike and reached into a side pocket of his seat saddle. Both Sally and Pepper were fixated on every movement he made. After what seemed to Sally an entire lifetime, he slowly inched an envelope from the pocket. It was gold in color and had a stamp of a Santa across the back.

Michael spoke, "I think this is what you have been after. I hope it holds a good message."

Sally grabbed the envelope, turned and ran towards the house. Her mum could read it. Sally was too excited to even open it. Pepper, caught up in the excitement, raced past Sally to the door.

"Mum, Mum, Santa wrote back to me. Can you read it out aloud."

Sally's mum strode up to Sally and took the envelope. At that moment Sally felt she may have made a mistake. What if the letter revealed her wish? Too late now as her mum opened the envelope.

"Well, it is a nice envelope. You are lucky he had time to write back."

There was a pause as Sally's mum unfolded the letter. She read quietly to herself. Sally was bursting with excitement.

"Come on Mum. What did he say?"

"He said, "Thank you Sally for your letter. I am glad that you wrote and still believe in Santa. However, I am afraid to say, that I cannot help you with your wish. It is something not within my powers. However, I will sprinkle a little more Magic Christmas Dust around your door. It just might help. Take Care and Merry Christmas. Santa.""

Sally stood motionless. She was feeling sick. Santa was her last hope and now all he offered was Magic Christmas Dust. Even Sally knew it was just an attempt to let her down gently. But she had gone down with a big thud.

"Mum, can I go to my room. Can Pepper come as well?"

"Yes, and Yes. But before you go, I have an idea for Christmas."

Sally tried to sound interested.

"Okay. I must admit to being sad at the moment though."

"I know that Sally, but you have to learn that you do not get all that you wish for in this world."

"I am learning but tell me about your idea for Christmas."

"Well, I was thinking, how about asking Santa to come to a Christmas Dinner?"

Sally took some time to respond.

"Yes, but he will be too busy. There is not much chance he will say yes."

"Well, I am thinking the night after Christmas night. He would have done all his delivering of presents. I will write the letter. It would be lovely to have a roast dinner with all the trimmings. Just like we used to do."

Sally recalled those days, not all that long ago. The presents, the wonderful food and chocolates. Most importantly, the laughing and the hugging. She so desired them to return.

"That would be good mum. Maybe Santa will listen to you more than me."

"Oh, he was listening to you. Just that he could not help just for now. You might be surprised."

"Okay mum, but it is only 6 days away. Are you writing the letter today?"

"Yes, and I am so excited that we can have a real Christmas dinner. You can go to your room now and clean up your clothes, they are all over the floor."

Sally sauntered up to her room. She thought it strange that her Mum was so confident that Santa would come to dinner. Did she have a special connection? Well at least the proposed dinner made her happy. Happier than Sally had seen her for years.

The next few days went along normally for Sally. She played with some friends and Pepper and had decided that Santa would not be coming to dinner. Her Mum was just trying to make her feel better. Yes, Sally would smile and act happy so as her mum did not get sad, but the truth would be elsewhere.

Two days before Christmas day Sally and her mum went along to Christmas Carols at her local Church. Sally still had not heard from her mum about Santa and the dinner although she had noticed a rather large turkey had been delivered. Her mum must have heard from him. Her chance to ask arose between a break in the carols.

"Mum, did you hear back from Santa."

"Not as yet Sally. However, my feeling is that he will come for dinner."

"But how can you know. Have you spoken to him even?"

"Sort of" Sally's mum mumbled and then hurried onto another Carol which had just begun.

Sally was confused. Her mother was so calm and seemingly in control. Just not like her, especially at this time of year. Perhaps Pepper would know more. Her mum spoke to Pepper a lot. There would be questions when Sally got home.

PART TWO

"Pepper, can you tell me if mum has spoken to Santa?"

Pepper sat obediently at Sally's feet but became quite excited when hearing the question. Sally's interpretation of such movement was that there had been some conversation.

"Well then Pepper, we had better expect Santa for dinner. I guess it is not too bad a result, as mum will have a man at the table. Perhaps he can sprinkle his Magic Christmas Dust on his way. Sometimes good things can come along out of nowhere.

Pepper gave a little "Woof," again reinforcing Sally's belief.

Christmas Day arrived and took on the same agenda as the previous years. Aunt Cathy attended for a Christmas breakfast of bacon, eggs and crunchy sourdough toast. After they had finished, it was gift opening time. Sally was excited but feeling somewhat subdued. Her thoughts were more towards tomorrow night's dinner. If it happened at all that is.

Sally's thoughts switched back to the gift opening when her Aunty wheeled a new scooter towards her. She had requested one from Santa and once again he had delivered. As the wrapping paper flew and Pepper eagerly chased his new plastic toys, Sally looked at her mum and again was surprised to see her so happy. She was happy. Something about her, did not make sense. Was it about tomorrow?

"Mum, will we have enough food for tomorrow? Santa will have a big appetite."

Sally's mum smiled and replied,

"Oh, he is not such a big eater. There will be plenty. I have a large turkey ready for cooking. I am sure there will be more than enough."

Again, Sally was concerned. How did her mum know Santa was not such a big eater? He had such a big tummy, surely, he could eat all the food on the table. Add that to the amount of food he must eat with the treats the other children left out for him and wow his suit would burst at the seams.

Any further thoughts on Santa's capacity to eat, were erased when Aunt Cathy said,
"Well, time for me to go. You all enjoy tomorrow night. Follow me out Sally, I want to show you something."

Sally followed her aunt out the front door and down the steps. At the bottom there was a strange, sparkling mass. It was spread across the path and part of the steps.

"Do you have any idea what this might be?"

Immediately, Sally's mind went back to the letter that her mum read out from Santa. This must be the Magic Christmas Dust Santa had mentioned.

"I think it is Magic Christmas Dust. Santa mentioned it in his letter to me. Do you think it will work?"

"What is it meant to work on?" Aunt Cathy enquired.

"If I tell you, do you promise not to tell mum?"

"Well yes. It is not something I like doing but I am intrigued about the secrecy."
Sally paused and took a deep breath.

"I asked Santa to find mum a new man. Was that wrong Aunt Cathy?"

Aunt Cathy did not speak but reached out and drew Sally close to her.
"No, no Sally, not wrong at all. So, I guess Santa couldn't really help with that gift."
Sally had begun to cry, and she so much wanted to just run back inside and go to her room and lock the door. Sally spluttered a response,

"Santa said it might help if he spread some of his Magic Christmas Dust. Maybe it will."

Aunt Cathy released Sally slowly from their hug and looked straight into her eyes.

"Sally, Sally you beautiful girl. Things will happen that will be good for your mum. I am not sure if you have noticed but your mum has been much more relaxed and smiley lately. Perhaps that magic dust is already helping. Things will get better, I am not sure when, but it will all work out."

Sally hugged Aunt Cathy again and released her as Sally turned back to the house. In a more controlled voice Sally yelled, "It will work out. It will."
Aunt Cathy waved and turned away.

PART THREE

The big day arrived. Sally sprang out of bed and put Pepper on the lead and they both bounded out of the house. The Magic Christmas Dust was still there but Pepper disturbed it when running around. No major drama thought Sally. Better some of it go into the home on Pepper's paws than on her shoes.

The morning air was warm, and Sally was hoping it would not be too hot for Santa. She was feeling better in having talked to Aunt Cathy and was hoping things might move quickly on the finding of a man for her mum. She felt that somehow Santa would solve the issue with a little bit of help from his Magic Christmas Dust.
The scene inside the home was one that was busy but controlled. Her mum had set the dining table and greeted Sally.

"Good morning Sally. Can you help me put some decorations around the table?"

"Sure mum. Have you heard from Santa? I hope he is not too tired from yesterday and all those presents he delivered."

"Of course he will be tired but hopefully he can relax tonight. Want to help me baste the turkey a bit later?"

"Yes, and can you make some of that special stuffing you put inside. Yum."

"No problem. Perhaps I should check to see if he has allergies? I will give him a call."

At first Sally did not register what her mum had said. Suddenly the words leapt to her brain.

"Mum, you can't just telephone Santa"

Her mum just stopped and turned to her with a blank stare.

"Oh of course you can't do that. How silly of me. It is the silly season you know."

Sally stood still and watched her mum collect a mixing bowl from under the sink and place it on the kitchen bench. Was she humming a tune? This was not like mum. Sally became convinced that the magic dust was playing a part in her transformation.

The day progressed, with Sally doing a lot of household chores. Every now and then, she would take a break and venture outside to view the Christmas Magic Dust. It was still there but each time Sally went back inside she had some of it in a small jar. She was building a supply in a bowl on their coffee table. Her mum had not noticed as yet.

At about 4 pm Sally was sent to her room to tidy it up and put all her clothes and toys away. To Sally this was an overreaction by her mum. Perhaps the old mum was still around. Anyway, now it was time to pick her dinner outfit.

Pepper was clearly favoring the blue top and white pants, but Sally was already convinced that she would wear her red dress with white frilled hem. More of a Christmas color but more importantly they were her dad's favorite colors. How she missed him.

"Sally, you need to be ready and down here in thirty minutes. Remember to bring Pepper down as well. If you lock him in your room, there will be a mess everywhere at the end of the night. He can go in the laundry, while Santa is here."

Sally replied, "Okay."

Then to Pepper she said, "A bit unfair to keep you in the laundry. We will find another spot for you. I am getting nervous."

Sally quickly dressed and ran downstairs. Pepper followed. Both of them were getting excited and Pepper hid himself under the bottom edge of the curtains in the lounge room. A perfect spot for a cheeky dog.

The dinner table had been set up beautifully with Sally admiring her decorations she had placed around the tablecloth. Red and white were the dominant colors. She blended in perfectly.

The waft of the roast turkey cooking and the smell of roast vegetables triggered Sally's memory of when they had Christmas with her dad. Her dad was the life of their party, especially after a few eggnogs and they had classic chases through the house and garden. Pepper loved his madness.

Just then she heard a voice. What was it saying. Hard to tell at first but then a clear 'HO, HO, HO." came to her ears.

She yelled, "Santa is here." as she raced to the lounge room window. Pepper was with her in a flash, standing on his hind legs to see over the windowsill. There he was, as Santa as he could possibly be. Red suit, with white trims. Black belt placed around a large belly and a white beard that was both bushy and as white as snow as well as the big black boots. What a picture. But wait a minute, what was the movement behind him?

As Sally homed in on the two figures, her mum reached the window, cursing Pepper, but really only concerned about the figures outside.

"They look like two elves, mum. Did you know they were coming?"

"Yes Sally I did, and yes there is enough food. You had better get the door and let them in."

Sally moved quickly to open the door. As soon as she could be seen by the visitors a loud booming voice let go with another,

"HO, HO, HO, you must be Sally."

Sally could hardly speak. Here was Santa in her house. She had never seen him in her house, despite trying many times to catch him while he delivered gifts. Sleep always won the day.

"Hi Santa. I am so glad you are here. Mum never seemed to know whether you were coming."

"Yes, your wonderful mother. You are a lucky girl to have such a fine mum to look after you."

At that point in time Sally's mum forced herself in front of Sally and held out her hand to greet Santa. Sally was surprised when he gently took her hand and kissed it.

"Please come in, all of you. We have plenty to eat. The turkey is just about ready."

As they entered, Sally noticed that the elves were very human like. They were nothing like she had seen in photos and story books. There was also something about Santa that was a bit suspicious. She could not quite put her finger on it, but Pepper was not to be fooled. He raised his nose to the air and then approached the ankles of Santa, sniffing madly.

"Pepper, get away. Sally, put him in the laundry please."

Oh, be it so simple. When Pepper set his nose to something then there was no hope he would go anywhere but where the smell was coming from and right now it was coming from Santa.

Santa protested, "Okay Pepper. You might be smelling my reindeer. Take it easy."

As Sally bent down to take Pepper by the collar, she noticed a small tree drawn on Santa's right leg. There was only one person she knew that had one of those. And it was not Santa. Sally bravely questioned.

"Are you really Santa. We have to know, because we only have enough food for one dinner?"

At that point, Santa let out a howl of laughter and said:

"You are a smart girl Sally. I have to confess that I am indeed not the real Santa."

Sally observed a smile on her mum's face and Santa removing his beard. Slowly his face was being revealed but Sally needed no more.

"Michael, oh Michael you do look funny."

"Yes, I do, and I came along with the elves, my two sons, Garry and Stephen. I hope you will allow us to eat here."

Sally looked directly at her mum. The pieces were starting to fall into place now. Her mum was beaming, and she had played a game with Sally all along. She knew Santa, but her Santa was Michael.

Her mum broke the silence:

"Sally, I met Michael some two months ago at your School's Annual Sports Carnival. We got to talking and meeting again at the Parents and Citizens meeting. He knew you and we got to thinking that it might be fun to play Santa."

Initially, this was upsetting to Sally. All along she had believed her mum was talking to Santa. She liked Michael but he was simply not Santa. However, Santa had said he could not bring her mum a man. Somehow, he might have pulled it off. Her mum was happy and Michael was happy. Maybe, just maybe, this was the beginning of something special. After some period of silence Sally pronounced,

"Well then let's eat. Merry Christmas."

So, they all sat down, and the turkey was served with all the vegetables and sauces. Yes, this was a yummy meal and lots of talk and laughter. Even Pepper was given some little treats while he was in the laundry. This indeed was a wonderful Christmas dinner.

Sally left the table and moved across to the bowl of Magic Christmas Dust. She held it in her hands and looked up,

"Thanks Santa, for the best Christmas ever."

THE END.






































Christmas Story contest entry

Recognized


Santa has many skills to right what is wrong. You just never know who is coming to dinner. Merry Christmas everyone.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Barry Penfold All rights reserved.
Barry Penfold has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.