Biographical Non-Fiction posted December 21, 2023 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
From darkness to light

A chapter in the book Spectre

The Shore

by Lea Tonin1

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sea lions bark on volcanic shores
Clapping their staccato beat
Air mariners swoop and dance
Silver surfers show the shine
 
Shore green boughs greet the waves
Lamenting their rooted stance
Their leaves in perpetual spin
Frolics on natures strong arms
 
Blue sky dips to court the horizon
Lapping the oceans salty embrace
Rivers entangle in diamond seas
Spreads breeze in widening circles 
 
************************************
The holidays have a way of spreading magic even to one such as myself who is generally alone.  I have been creating rum balls. Yummy! I had better be careful or I will eat the whole batch of them!  The feeling of anticipation grows daily. I'm not sure if it's a good feeling or not considering what's on the way. All roads lead to these twelve boxes and in one day, I will connect with my sister.  We will read over hers first followed by mine and compare notes along the way. 
First batch will be about her. Although many of the same things happened to both of us at the same time, it is in the nature of the way they disclose information. They will block out others names and leave only the enquirer's name visible as well as the staff involved.  These documents are a combination of years of investigating a corrupt family. So many clues along the way. I didn't put together until later in life.
That's what happens when all you get is lies.
Legal advice is pending upon the reviewing of this paperwork.  My sister's memories begin to return to her as I continue to jog her memory with my writing.
We will go together, my sister and I and we will face this once and for all and whatever comes of it, comes of it.
So far I've given testimony up to this point. All the things that have happened.
Now I will take you along with me on the journey through the evidence.
At the same time, we'll continue the trials of what was my life....
 
She isn't done yet....
 
*****************************
 

Finally, I reached McDonald's. Staggering through the door, my head hung low, soaking wet once again. Approaching the counter, the cashier looked at me as if I was going to eat and run.

"Cheeseburger happy meal with a coke please," I said and tossed the five on the counter. 

The cashier took my crumpled up five dollar bill and rang the meal through. I received a big fourteen cents in change. On a tray the cashier placed my food. Sitting down by the window, I quickly inhaled the food. Sipping my coke I began to fade.  Exhaustion came on so strong, not even my thumping arm could keep it at bay. My head dropped to the table.

Black...that's all I knew for I don't know how long.

"Mam?"

Someone was shaking my shoulder.

"Ma'am, we're closing soon.  I'm sorry, but I must ask you to leave."

Groggily, I opened my eyes and looked up at the Mcdonald's employee blinking several times.

"Ok, I'm out." I got to my feet, picked up my bag and walked out the door.

Shivering I looked left and right. I didn't know where to turn or what to do. A bus stop on the corner with a bench is where I decided to sit to try and figure out what to do. I didn't know what happened to Mrs. D and the kids. I didn't know if they were okay or if Mr. D was in jail where he belonged. There was no way I could remain there on the scene. The police would want to know who I am and seeing that I am still a bit under age, they would call social services and they would take me back to my grandmother who would ultimately send me back to them. I couldn't have that. Nor could I have what's been

So my grandmother was out of the question. I couldn't call her. There was certainly no calling any other of my relatives. They all knew what had happened and didn't lift a finger to help. There will be no calling any of them.

One of the few friends I did have tried to put me on the street. No calling her either.

I hadn't heard or seen from S and M for over a year and both of their phone numbers were out of service.

Despair welled up within me. I began to feel frantic not knowing which way to turn. Tears of frustration, sadness and fear rolled down my face in torrents.

Wait a minute...I do remember one phone number I could possibly call.  A very slim chance...a small tiny glimmer of hope.

My new friend P.  My air hockey playing, Bumpers patron, funny friend. I was ninety percent sure I could remember his number. Walking back to the phone booth, I repeated the number in my head. Reaching the phone booth, I dug my hand into my pocket then pulled out two dimes and four pennies. I took a dime and placed it in the slot. Getting a dial tone, I dialed the number.

"Hello?" A woman's voice asked.

"May I speak to P please?"

"I'm sorry, no one here by that name," she replied.

"Oh ah...ok thanks, sorry," then I hung up the phone.

"Shit! Shit, shit, shit!" I exclaimed aloud. "What the hell! I thought for sure that was his number!"

I looked at the change remaining. Fourteen cents. Only enough for one more call. I wracked my brain trying figure out what the number was. Then it occurred to me. I might have transposed the number, but which numbers? I tried turning the last two numbers around. It occurred to me, as I rolled the number around my head, it could be the right twist. It could be the answer but, I didn't know for sure.

I had to try.

I put in my last dime and dialed the number. It rang and rang. 

Finally,

"Hello..."

************************
So many nights and days I remember feeling like that. That frantic, bottomless pit feeling as if you're falling and knew that the ground was way off. The inevitable 'splat' soon to follow. That out of control feeling and the reminder that not all things are in our control, as much as we might like to think so.  Time to set down my pen for now.
 
More Christmas goodies to devour er make! 
 
That's it....




This chapter is part of an auto bio called Spectre book two of a trilogy. Book one is called Ghost. Both can be found in my portfolio should you wish to read, please note. Some chapters are hard to digest reader discretion is advised.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lea Tonin1 All rights reserved.
Lea Tonin1 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.