General Fiction posted November 27, 2023 Chapters:  ...72 73 -74- 75... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One day at a time

A chapter in the book One Man's Calling

One Man's Calling, ch 74

by Wayne Fowler


Heads up alert – A little Bible and preaching in this chapter as well as words of a Christian standard.

In the last part Ben learned that Hank Larabee is missing, whereabouts unknown. Ben and Pastor Williams discuss accountability and Ben’s calling. Ben and Beth toured the area.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The next week was uneventful, excepting for Ben and Beth’s love. They would never declare any part of any day together uneventful. Beth baked and came home, and Ben worked with horses and mules, coming home to clean up, go back to the hotel restaurant for lunch, and then visit pastors. Beth returned home to read her Bible and meditate.

“Ben,” one of the pastors said, snapping his fingers as he did. “The Community church is without a preacher this week. The last one was sent packing yesterday. One of the deacons, a friend of mine, he and his wife used to come to my church, but, well anyway, he went to the bank following up a hunch. Sure enough, the man only deposited half what was in the offering. I guess it had been going on some time. There were rumors because the man was always buying things, new suits, new brougham carriage. And his wife, as well. Anyway. Confronted, he put on a huff, and left. Must have made out well for himself because he left behind some pretty fancy furniture.”

Ben wasn’t happy about being involved in this conversation, hearing the squabbles and turmoil of the inner workings of a church. At that moment, he was certainly glad that God had not called him to be a pastor, to shepherd a flock. But he agreed to preach that next Sunday.

+++

“Beth, how do I not preach forgiveness to a church full of people who have no forgiveness for the preacher who stole from them?”

“How do you not? How do you preach anything else?”

“I have never liked when preachers preached at somebody. Like when a preacher hears so-and-so got drunk and then the next week the preacher preaches on drunkenness, looking at his victim all the while. No. That isn’t me.”

“I’m sure it’s not.” Beth agreed.

“So, …”

“But isn’t it something that needs dealt with? What would Jesus do?”

Ben looked at her with eyes of wonder. Presently he shut them.

Beth knew to pray. As well.

+++

Unknown to Ben, or Williams either, when Williams’ deacon friend advised the deacon board that he’d arranged for a speaker for the Sunday service, they were fine with it until hearing who he was.

“That ruffian? A brawler? I heard he’s a Street-Screamer. He’s a stable boy! I know one thing for certain… I’ll go because I’m a deacon. But I won’t be hearing one word of preaching that comes out of his mouth. Take that to the bank.”

Williams’ deacon friend went home greatly saddened.

+++

“Beth, do you know the song… It’s a new one… uh, oh. In the Cross, no, Jesus, keep Me Near the Cross?”

“Uh, I don’t know if I’ve heard it, or not. Those years before you came along… I hate to admit it, but I didn’t hear a lot. But I can ask Dorothy if they have the music to it. They have about everything, I understand.”

The next day, with the sheet music in hand, Beth and Dorothy met with the Community Church pianist. After the first run through of the first verse and the chorus, the pianist and Dorothy echoed one another as to how moving it was, that it made them want to cry with joy. The pianist promised to practice it more after the two left.

Sunday morning, Pastor Williams’ deacon friend introduced Ben. Ben, seated on the front row, stood, motioned Beth to climb the single step to the podium. Once there, Beth signaled the pianist.

Jesus, keep me near the cross;
There a precious fountain,
Free to all, a healing stream,
Flows from Calvary’s mountain.

In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever,
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me,
There the Bright and Morning Star
Shed its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Brings its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
With its shadows o’er me.

Near the cross I’ll watch and wait,
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand
Just beyond the river.

Ben stepped up to the podium to silence but for some sniffing. He opened his Bible to Matthew chapter five and began to read beginning by announcing his scripture reading: “Matthew, chapter five. ‘And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, Blessed are the poor is spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven…’”

Ben left his Bible on the podium, but stepped down from the platform to the altar area. He continued in the fifth chapter of Matthew by memory and inspiration, quoting the entire chapter and continuing into chapter six. He never skipped a beat, or hiccupped with the scripture at any point.

Beth, and several in the congregation had their Bibles open to follow along.

After quoting the Lord’s Prayer, verses six through thirteen, Ben paused for the briefest instant. Then he resumed quoting verses 14 and 15: “’For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.’”

Ben pointed to the deacon and then retired, sitting beside Beth.

The deacon walked to the front. When he looked at Ben, Ben looked away.

“That concludes our service. You are dismissed.”

Everyone quietly left the sanctuary as Ben and Beth remained in their seats. A moment after the room emptied, first one, and then another, followed by others, returned. The deacon who would not hear a word of preaching approached Ben. “Sir, would you lead us in prayer?”

Ben did. The service lasted another 45 minutes.

+++

The next time Pastor Williams saw Ben. He stood in awe. “I bow at your feet, Sir.” Williams was sincerely humbled.

“My friend,” Ben said. “I only do as God asks. That’s my calling.”

“They would like you to be their pastor.”

Ben smiled. “They may say that today, but… No sir, I would rather eat fish hooks by the spoonful than step out of the will and calling of God.”

"Bless you, my friend. Bless you.”





Ben Persons: a young man following God's calling
Beth Persons: Ben's wife
Hank Larabee: heir of Henry P. Larabee, ranch and town owner
Pastor Williams and his wife Dorothy: pastors in Fortuna, CA

Mt. 6:15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your father will not forgive your sins.
Near the Cross by Fanny Crosby and the tune by William Howard Doane
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.