Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 27, 2023 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Two steps forward one step back...

A chapter in the book Spectre

Steps

by Lea Tonin1


 
 
 
 
Tepid ground my toes did creep. 
Followed heels my lofty feet.
Face the mounds of her deceit.
Never more our souls to meet.
 
Greet the day the suns repast.
Beams of rainbows flying fast.
Ban the dark to breath its last.
End the memory of time gone past.
 
Sing the song in freedoms voice.
Killer man now has no choice. 
 
But to die....
 
************************************
Well it's been a fun day....
 
My cars name is Alice and she sports a chunk of change totalling well over three hundred thousand klms. 
She runs well but, she has some issues. Electrical in nature. My right window hasn't been able to go up for a couple months now.
Enjoying the sunshine, I noticed it had rained overnight.
Maybe I wouldn't have noticed so much except that when I hit the brakes, the ocean's wave of water came rushing up the front, came up over my pedals and gave me large soakers.  Some might call that funny, I call it cold.
Be that as it may, driving is a privilege and never should be taken for granted.
My uncle's house is in an area surrounded in maple trees. Maples are stunning when they're leaves start to turn. 
So bright, that the colors are almost hard to look at. Yellows oranges and reds stand out almost as bright as a traffic light at night. 
The last of those frozen leaves waved at me then, gently falling to the ground breathing their last.  Observing beauty is a natural and most healthy way to distract a person's mind from dark matters.  At least this mind anyway. 
 
We've got work to do though.  She needs shelter. 
 
Off we go to find it...on sodden feet....
 
*****************************

I awoke, stretched and could hear the snap and crackle of small twigs beneath me. Then I remembered where I was. Rolling onto my back I gazed at the sunlight playing hide and seek with shadows made by waiving cedar boughs.

I breathed in the invigorating rich loamy smell of the earth mixed in with the ever present scent of evergreens.

No matter what I do or where I go, I shall always adore the forest and all living things in it. It's a dance on my senses, a delight to my mind.

But, I could not lay there forever I knew.  I didn't know, however, how long I slept under that tree. It was afternoon when I arrived.

"No time like the present." I thought. Coming out from under having picked up my jacket off the ground, I shook it off and popped it in my plastic bag along with my sweater.  Some minutes later saw me back on the trail toward the park proper.   I could here children laughing and playing in the amusement park. Saw peeks of people playing tennis.

The sun was low on the horizon but not on the down swing but on the up. It appears I slept a good twelve hours at least. Exiting the park I could see Tim Hortons across the street so I made my way towards it. Ordering a cold drink and a donut, I looked toward the seating arrangements. Every odd table had a news paper on it and a few people were reading them. The newspaper,I knew, would have job listings. Maybe even places to stay. I sat down at a table with a newspaper and began to flip through it. I could see several fast food restaurants looking for counter people. Okay that's good I thought. I didn't know if they'd take someone without experience.

Flipping to the available rentals, I noticed many of them started with more than I have in my pocket.

I read that paper front to back but didn't find a single thing I could get for even just a month. Frustrated I slapped the newspaper down and put my hands over my face to hide my coming tears. I sat that way for awhile struggling with my emotions when I heard a ladies soft voice with a thick Indian accent.

"Joo are to be ok miss?" She asked picking up the news paper noting what I was reading.

I looked up and saw a dark skinned, pretty East Indian lady. A caring expression on her face. Then two young children peaked out around her dress smiling playfully at me, I gave small smile in return.

"No home?" She asked.

"No," I replied. "No home." She turned toward her children and spoke softly in her language to which they smiled and nodded in response. Then the two children turned and looked at me expectantly eyes bright. "Come." The lady said. "I have place downstairs. Joo come." Hope blasted through my system and I perked right up. Looking at this lady who wore a questioning on her face as the kids bounced on their feet expectantly looked far less forbidding than anything else I've seen. 

"Really?" I asked.

She nodded.

"I can only give you one hundred and fifty for now." I said. "

"I'll need the remaining to go look for a job." I cringed hoping that wasn't a deal breaker. Looking back up at her she still wore the same expression of empathy without change.

"Okay, yes thank you so much! You have just saved me thank you."

Tears of gratitude came to my eyes which she smiled gently at and said,

"Bery good" and bade me follow her to her van.

I considered whether I was making another mistake but my instincts said otherwise. Watching the street slide by I felt lighter. Perhaps this is the leg I've needed. But, damn those expectations, they usually lead to disappointments.

This time I hope I'm wrong. 

************************
It is true.  I've always remained fond of the forest and felt connected to the mountains and as long as the weather held, I was always driving in and out of there. Fly fishing rod in hand and flies designed for each season has me set for a day of fun. Fly fishing is my favorite along with camping around a beautiful contained fire armed with hot chocolate and brandy in the evening. The moon on the plateau is so huge!  It turns the world to silver and seems like you could just reach out and touch it. The sweet lilting sounds of loons singing at night drifting on the lake sends me to sleep. 
 
Dream of peaceful things when you can, take that and hold it for a while. It will sustain you.
 
To slog through suburban life again....




This story is part of an auto bio called Spectre book 2 of 3 book 1 is called Ghost. Both can be found in my portfolio. Should you choose to read, please note. Some chapters are hard to digest reader discretion is advised.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lea Tonin1 All rights reserved.
Lea Tonin1 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.