General Non-Fiction posted November 8, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I had a dream that terrified me

The Wake Up Call

by T B Botts


It's been years ago that it happened. I often had vivid dreams, but usually they made little sense to me. When I was young I dreamed of being pursued, and when I jumped, I could fly. It was a recurring dream, though what triggered it I don't know. When I used to take my kids to the pool, I would have dreams of swimming underwater. I could swim vast distances in the clear medium without having to surface to breathe. I enjoyed those dreams as well. It was a feeling of invincibility I suppose. A power that I had that no one else possessed.

Perhaps twenty years ago, maybe more, I had a dream that I remember vividly to this day. On the one hand I would like to forget it, but perhaps it's for my own good that I don't. I think it was a warning, if not for me, then for others who might be wandering from their faith or thinking that they have time to give thought to their eternal destiny.

In my dream, I was back in my high school building. There was no one around but me. The building was two stories high and circular, so that if you started at one end and walked forward, you would end up where you started eventually, unless you opted to take the stairs up or down. The light was dim and as I walked down the tiled hallway, I could hear my footsteps echoing in the empty space. I passed by the trophy cases, full of pictures of past sports teams with an assortment of trophies of different sizes depicting the placement of the teams against their competitors. Lockers lined the walls and doorways with numbers above them were spaced equal distances apart. Some doors had the names of the teachers who occupied those rooms during the school day.

 The school had no elevator, since it only had two stories, but as happens in dreams, for no good reason, there was an elevator standing with it's doors open. I approached it and was ready to step in, when from out of nowhere a man rushed up, pushed me aside and stepped into the elevator. In less than an instant, the doors closed and it rushed downward to hell at the speed of light. While I was still watching, the elevator returned and the doors opened, revealing an empty space, beckoning me to enter.

I awoke terrified, as you can imagine. I don't know what scared me the most; the fact that I almost stepped into the elevator or the speed that it descended into hell and returned, hungry for another victim.

I do believe that it was a warning, perhaps for me at the time, or perhaps for someone who might read this. Today is the day of salvation. We're not promised tomorrow, or even the next ten minutes. Tragedy can come suddenly, and eternity doesn't end. Think about it.



Dream: 500 Words or Less contest entry


I believe that God still speaks to people in visions and dreams from time to time. This is not to be confused with mediums or astrologers or psychics. I can't recall what state I might have been in spiritually at the time. I'm certain I was a Christian, but perhaps I had been sitting on the fence dabbling in sinful behavior, I don't recall. Or as I mentioned, perhaps the dream was given to me as a warning to someone else. The word says that God gets no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but would want all men to come to repentance. Jesus is calling. What have we got to lose?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. T B Botts All rights reserved.
T B Botts has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.