General Poetry posted October 20, 2023 Chapters:  ...56 57 -58- 59... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Tanka

A chapter in the book 2023 Gypsy's Tanka

Innocent Lovers

by Gypsy Blue Rose


for the innocent caught in the war crossfire

innocent lovers die

     tangled in broken dreams and loss—

the cruel sun shines

over ruins, rubble, and blood

where orphan children cry

 

 
 
 




This poem is fictional about a couple killed in the war, but it's inspired by true events of the war between a Palestinian militant group called Hamas and Israel. I watched a video of adults and children being pulled out of the hospital ruins and it broke my heart.

BBC NEWS:
The Palestinian militant group Hamas launched an unprecedented attack on Israel on 7 October, killing more than 1,400 people and taking more than 200 hostage.

Palestinian health officials say more than 4,000 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched retaliatory air strikes, and a ground offensive is expected.

The UN's agency for Palestinian refugees has warned that time is running out to get aid into the Gaza Strip.

UNRWA says access to clean water is severely limited and "concerns over dehydration and waterborne diseases are high".

Israel is also blocking supplies of electricity, food and fuel. It said it would not end the "siege" until Hamas released hostages.

However, the UN's Secretary-General, Antonio Gutierres, said he expected the Rafah border crossing with Egypt to open in "the next day or so" for lorries carrying aid to get through.

Gaza's Hamas-run government said 18 Christian Palestinians were killed in an explosion within the compound of the Saint Porphyrius Church in Gaza City on Thursday night. The BBC has not been able to verify this figure.

Israel said its jets were targeting a Hamas launch site for rockets and mortars and that a wall of the church was damaged.

Palestinian officials said at least 471 people were killed by an explosion at the Al-Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City on 17 October. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said this number has been deliberately inflated but has not released its own assessment of how many died.
================================================
Tanka is a Japanese unrhymed poem having about 12 to 31 syllables usually arranged in five lines and read in about two breaths in length when read aloud. The first poets who wrote tanka imitated the Japanese models of a 5-7-5-7-7 syllabic structure in five lines. This resulted in poems that were too long in comparison to Japanese tanka. The first tanka were padded or chopped to meet the fixed number of syllables. Additionally, the third line must transition from the descriptive and image-focused beginning lines into a reflective metaphor, simile, or personification for the closing lines. The subject matter varies, but most tanka are emotionally stirring or profound, and many are about love. click here if you want to read modern tanka examples === click here to read Tanka Society of America === click here if you want to read modern tanka rules

Thank you very much for your time and kind review.

Gypsy
"The poet waits quietly to paint the unsaid." --Atticus

pictures from pinterest
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.