Fantasy Fiction posted October 16, 2023 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
While escaping Specters, Echo requests a side trip.

A chapter in the book Return To Concorde Valley

Echo's Diversion

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Years after a fire took her parents lives and devastated her home, Echo works at a small town newspaper as an investigative reporter. Her past and present intermingle as she tries to escape danger.
Summary of the book so far:

Young Echo Jones is overlooked by First Responders as she hides in a wheat field during a house fire. Both parents killed in the fire, she escapes into an ancient forest behind her home. Alone and afraid, she meets up with a young boy, Theo, from mysterious origins that tends to her while searching for help.

20 years later, Echo is working for a newspaper called the Taylorville Sun. Among other duties, she investigates a serial killer who has now struck in her small town, and covers the opening of a new mega-store, Super Handyman.

After gathering all she needs on the store opening, she meets up with Bessie, an elderly columnist from the Sun who has an inside scoop on the death of the woman killed in their town. Bessie tells what she knows about the night of the murder, and sends Echo off to go back to work.

Echo arrives at the Newspaper, where the Christmas party has already begun. Before going in, she finds an envelop addressed to her. In it are pictures of the dead woman and Echo. The newest member of the police department, Tony Bradley, shows up to take her statement. He is, immediately, suspected of being the serial killer Echo is investigating.

At the end of the party, a parade of her friends set out to follow her home and keep her safe. After a series of unfortunate events, she ends up fleeing across ice and snow to trees she hopes to keep her safe. She's confronted by Specters who try and take her hostage. Theo, her childhood acquaintance, shows up to save the day.


End of last chapter:

For one hurried moment, Echo melted into the arms of her Forest Boy, a boy who had since grown into a man. As years before, Theo arrived when she needed him most. What challenges lay ahead were forgotten in a brief, beautiful reunion.

New Chapter begins:

"It's hard to believe you're really here," Echo said. She stepped back and looked into Theo's remarkable eyes, eyes highlighted by the near full moon. She was grateful for its brightness, and grateful for the snow that reflected it. She wanted to enjoy this moment.

"To be honest," she continued, "I doubted if I'd ever see you again."

Theo gazed back with adoration, holding her hands tenderly in his. The visage of the bumbling rookie was replaced with the face Echo had compared all other men to her entire adult life.

"But you never doubted I existed," he said. "Your friends at the office Christmas party revealed as much."

Echo tilted her head to the side and smiled. "Yeah, they have big mouths, but they were right, and I can't tell you how many times I sat on the ground at the edge of the woods and talked to you. I'd imagine you could hear me. I cried with you, laughed with you, and even felt you hold me in invisible arms. You were my comforter."

Theo drew her close again, rocking her side to side like a father would his child. He rested his chin on her head. "I know you did, Echo, and I did hear you."

"You did?"

"Yes, I was close-by in the trees, as often as I knew you needed me. I even left you a gift once, after your first broken heart. The guy's name was Stephen and he stood you up for a school dance. I left a carving to let you know you weren't alone."

Echo reached into her pocket and pulled out two carved horses. One Theo had given her in the forest cave right after her parents died in the fire, the other she found in her special clearing. She always kept both with her.

"I knew it was from you! But why didn't you show yourself? I longed to see you so much."

"I'm sorry, but I was forbidden by my father."

"Your father? But why would he do that? Did he dislike me that much?"

"It has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the rules that govern my people. I don't have time to explain it all now, but I promise I'll make everything clear once we get to my home."

"Which is where?"

"Concorde Valley."

Echo cocked her head. "I've never heard of it."

"No, not many have. You either have to belong there or be taken there by someone who knows the way... or be a horse."

"A horse?" Echo repeated. She raised a doubtful eyebrow.

Theo chuckled at her dubious look. "Our people have a saying. All horses know the way to Concorde Valley."

"Interesting. Why so?"

"Because their master is there."

Further conversation was halted by the obvious sign of movement below.

"We gotta go," Theo said. Sparkling emerald eyes turned to turbulent sea green.

"But the bad guy people are gone, aren't they? I mean, you chased them away."

"You mean the Specters?"

"I suppose, if that's what you call them, but aren't Specters ghosts? These guys are real. Look at the gashes on my leg."

Theo nodded. "Oh, they're very real. The term is a sort of generic for the minions of the enemy of my people."

"Who is...?

"Remember, I will explain it all..."

"When we get to your home. I know."

Theo gently squeezed her arm. "If not for the danger, I would answer now."

"I get it. Can Specters climb?" She pointed to a tree behind them, the limbs of which were beginning to shake.

"Some can. Let's go." Theo grasped her hand and they leaped together to the next tree, then the next, and so on until they had put some space between them and their pursuers. Echo hesitated when they finally landed and placed a restraining hand on his chest.

"Look, before we get too far, I have to go by my apartment. I need to grab my cat and some things I'll need for the trip. I could, also, use some antiseptic and bandages. I was hurt in the wreck, and by those Specter people, not bad, but still. While I'm there, I need to call my job to let them know I'm okay and that I'll be away for a while...."

"And what are you going to tell Mr. Baker, that you're with the rookie cop they all think is a serial killer?"

"Okay, that's fair, but can I at least tell my grandparents? They'll believe me, and I don't want them on TV begging for me to be returned."

"That's fine, call them, but ask them to keep silent about who you're with."

"I can do that."

"The bandaging will have to wait if you can keep going like you are. My father is a doctor and can treat you once we get there."

"I can make it. Adrenaline is a great analgesic. I just don't want anything to get infected."

Theo pulled his flashlight from the loop on his police belt and looked closely at the wounds on her face and leg, all of which had stopped bleeding.

"We can wash these off in a stream after we lose our followers, but you should be okay for now. My father will get you fixed up where there will hardly be any scars."

Echo shrugged her shoulders. What else could she do? They had to prioritize.

"And, Echo, your apartment isn't the safest place for you right now. Whatever you do will have to be done in haste."

"You told my friends it was guarded."

"Yeah, I was planning on being that guard, me and some of my buddies, but things changed when Junior decided to follow you. I didn't know he was a Specter until he revealed himself tonight, but I did know he was watching you at the opening of Super Handyman, and I did know he meant you harm."

"How?"

"I was on undercover duty for the police department watching for stalkers."

"And you discovered Junior."

"Yes, but just him. I didn't see the others."

"If you suspected he was a killer, why didn't you tell anyone at the party?"

"No one would have believed me. Everyone thought I was the murderer, but I decided to follow all of you when you took off. That's why I left first."

"And I'm glad you did."

"I'd have gotten to you sooner, but I stopped to check on Brian when he had a blowout."

"He let you help him?" Echo asked. Surprise was evident in her face and voice.

"Not exactly. He told me where to go, but he did let me call it in to the department. AAA wasn't responding."

"That sounds like Brian, but why do you think my apartment isn't safe? It's not like anyone knows I live there."

"Besides the fact you've been stalked for a while, I heard Sara Beth telling Junior exactly where you live. She made it sound as though apartment dwellers are beneath her."

"My apartment complex is in a great neighborhood...."

"Sara Beth's opinion isn't the issue right now, she's nothing but a jealous person who knows she outclassed by you on all levels. What we need to worry about is the Specters, and it's my belief they're waiting at your place right now."

Echo's tired, wounded face registered concern, but not worry. Afterall, Theo was there. "What's your plan?"

Theo looked at her with a mixture of adoration and respect. She was as brave now as she had been as a child escaping a fire. He tapped his forehead against hers.

"I have friends who can meet me there, the ones I mentioned earlier. If we hurry, and are really careful once we get there, you should be able to get your cat and make your phone call. The rest is going to have to wait."

"But what about a coat and shoes? I had to shed mine while running from the Specters."

Theo peeled off his own vest and slipped it over her head. "This will keep you warmer than a coat and is easier for traveling through the trees. Shoes you'll have to grab quickly."

Echo felt a gush of warmth envelope her from the vest. Combined with Theo's own personal scent, she had a momentary respite from the chaos. After hugging herself for a few seconds, she looked up.

"But how will you stay warm?"

Theo winked at her. "Allow me to be gallant, would you? It's the least I can do after letting the Specters reach you first."

Echo winked back.

Theo offered a hand. "Let's fly."

Echo grasped it and they soared through the trees like a couple of spider monkeys. But for the gravity of the situation, she would have enjoyed their rapid journey through the canopy. The moonlight was a definite help, but she had a feeling Theo could have done it blindfolded.

Just as Echo thought she couldn't jump to another branch, they made their way to a clearing she recognized. It was the vacant lot behind her apartment complex where the tree line ended.
On a good day, she could have sprinted across the space with ease, but it wasn't a good day. It wasn't even a day at all. It was nighttime and it was a very cold one, indeed.

Even though the snow had stopped falling, the ground was covered in slippery white and the only illumination came from the sky and a single security light shining across the field.

All seemed still and quiet, until it didn't. One at a time, about a dozen Specters crept into view, red eyes glowing in the dark.

"There's more of them." Echo stated. Subconsciously, she leaned against her companion. She was exhausted and dispirited.

"Apparently so," Theo said as he put his arm around her.

"What are we going to do?" Echo asked.

"Not let them get their way. I'll distract them so you can get in, but use what time you have wisely."

"What are you going to do, kill them with kindness? I see you don't have your service revolver with you."

Theo cut his eyes over. "We don't need my kind side right now."

"You have another side?"

"I have another side."

"But you don't have your gun," Echo pointed out again.

"Bullets wouldn't phase these guys."

As easily as an ordinary man might step out of bed, Theo dropped to the ground, ending their conversation.

Tossing his head back like a fiery stallion, he cried out in a strange language that sounded as ancient as the earth itself. The sound was loud and piercing and seemed to visibly shake the Specters. They quaked, but didn't flee.

Moments later, his cry was answered by other, softer calls. Echo looked around and noticed a number of men on horses waiting just on the inside of the forest edge. She could see a glint of metal tracing the shape of swords in their hands. They sat quiet and pensive like living statues perched on coiled springs. Theo's friends had shown up.

"Cool!" Echo said, a bit louder than she had intended.

Theo glanced up at her. "Not cool," he said. "Blood may be shed here tonight."

"I thought you couldn't kill the Specter guys."

"Not with bullets. Now be quiet and wait for my signal. When I give it, walk, not run, to your apartment. You don't want to stumble in the dark."

"I'm not sure I could run if I wanted to. What's your signal?"

"You'll know." Theo looked around at his men, and then the enemy.

Echo heard a sharp intake of breath followed by a slow, whistling exhale.

Everything around them grew quiet as though nature, itself, listened and waited. With an audible whoosh, Theo's arms flung upward and a green mist flowed from somewhere inside him. It pulsated outward, permeating the field with a glowing green fog.

A pathway pierced the haze, leading to the stairs outside her apartment. Echo was filled with new energy and resolve. With a deep breath of her own, she dropped from the tree. As she passed Theo, she couldn't resist, "I don't care what you say, that was cool."

He acknowledged with the hint of a grin and the slightest nod of his head.

Each step she took toward the apartment building was echoed by the sound of hooves escorting and guarding her. Though she couldn't see or hear them, Echo was aware of the Specters drawing in as well. She continued on.

As she reached the stairs, a roar of action could be heard behind. In spite of what she was advised, she ran the rest of the way up.

She didn't have her purse, which was in the wrecked car along with her cell phone, so she had to dig under the doormat for her spare key.

She slipped in the door, locked it, and braced herself as Kitty Sunshine jumped into her arms. He was clearly terrified.

"I know the feeling," she said.

On the coat hanger beside the door was the backpack she used when visiting her grandparents. Luckily, It contained a blanket she always took with her and a spare pair of tennis shoes.

"Sunny, you'll have to ride in here," she said. Before putting her precious companion inside, she pulled out the shoes to put on.

Sunny curled into the soft blanket and gave a quick meow. Somehow, he understood he would be cared for.

Echo glanced over at the phone and made a step toward it. At the same time, a face appeared at the window. Glowing red eyes told her it was a Specter. There would be no time for the phone call.

With a wistful glance around the apartment, Echo bid it, and her belongings, good-bye. She and Sunny slipped into the fray, the sound of crashing glass reverberating in her ears.



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, Shade of emotion by Jessie <3 on FanArtReview.

Echo Jones: Young girl left stranded by a fire that took her home and parents in the first part of the book, then as an adult, she's an investigative reporter for a small town newspaper.
Her main assignment is to look into a serial killer that has struck in their small town in Georgia, just out of Atlanta.
A side assignment is to cover the opening of a fancy hardware store in Taylorville, Georgia.

Claude Baker: Editor of the newspaper, Taylorville Sun. Younger brother of Frankie, one of the editors.

Brian Baker: Claude's adult son who works at the newspaper as a typesetter and photographer

Frankie Lawrence: Claude's older sister and co-owner of the newspaper

Sara Beth: Works at the newspaper as a columnist. She specializes in fashion and gossip and is Echo's nemesis.

Bessie Johnson: 83-year-old columnist that works for the Sun and gathers ads from local venders. She has knowledge of the attack on the local woman killed by the serial killer.

Sherry Roe: A local victim of the serial killer Echo has been writing a series on.

Officer Tony Bradly: Rookie officer for the Taylorville Police Department. He's the one who found Sherry Roe's body after the murder. Also, the man Bessie feels is the killer.

Junior: Frankie's neighbor who comes by the office Christmas party.

Man in dark: A man Echo saw watching her the day of the Super Handyman Opening. Presumably the serial killer.

Specters/men in dark clothing: Three men who confront Echo. Minions of the Dark Lord

Kitty Sunshine, aka Sunny: Echo's Russian Blue cat

Theo, A nickname for Anthos: An 8-year-old, of mysterious origins, who finds young Echo in the forest and tends to her needs. We see him later as a grown man who rescues Echo once again.

Cindy: Echo's teddy bear she leaned on for comfort as a small child, the only belonging that made it out of the fire with her. She left it behind in the forest after her rescue.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Jessie <3 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.