Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 7, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Learning the Ukulele

Over the Rainbow

by Sarah Robin


“Somewhere over the rainbow way up high, there’s a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.”  I have always appreciated the music in my life. I wanted to learn the songs of the countries we lived in. From  Australia, I could sing  Waltzing Matilda with everyone. When we lived in New Zealand, I was invited to attend a Maori church service. All of their songs were presented acappella. I thought I was hearing the angels sing.  It was a magnificent experience.

Now, I live in Texas. It has been a real blessing for me to live in a 55+ community.   We have lots of activities and wonderful neighbors.

When it was announced that a ukulele class was starting, I wanted to learn more about that. We had visited Hawaii a few years ago and I fell in love with the pleasing sounds of the ukulele.  It seemed that everywhere we went, we heard Israel (IZ) Kamakawiwe’ole singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  It is a lovely song which offers hope for a better place. 

I signed up for the class so that I could play the song.  I found the most beautiful ukulele and I bought it! It is blue and painted  with Vincent Van Gogh’s The Starry Night. I was excited.

Our teacher, Sherry  Avaritt was so enthusiastic that we wanted to learn. I went to class and did my homework.  My classmates are super nice and helpful. We played You Are My Sunshine so many times that I didn’t need the book.  On one of the songs, my arthritic hands wouldn’t let me play a chord.  My neighbor said, “Just skip it.  We will cover for you!”

I look forward to the class every week. I have learned a lot and made some new friends. And, I have learned to play Somewhere Over the Rainbow!  I am happy to be living here where skies are blue, troubles melt like lemon drops and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.  I’m sure that I have found a sense of peace over the rainbow!




Recognized


My classmates added Rocky Top to our book so that I could play it when Tennessee scores on football Saturdays.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Brede1000 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sarah Robin All rights reserved.
Sarah Robin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.