Writing Non-Fiction posted September 26, 2023 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The First Commercially Successful Comic Strip

A chapter in the book Funny Pages

Hogan's Alley

by Brett Matthew West


(The entries for this brief history of Comics will be short. Enjoy!)

Except for the Comics many people will not read a newspaper. Are you aware the first commercially successful Comic strip began in the New York World newspaper in 1895?

The most popular character in "Hogan's Alley" was a boy called Yellow Kid. He was a jug-eared street urchin in a yellow nightshirt. He also had a bald head shaved to prevent lice.

Richard F. Outcault's Comic created big scenes of street kids making fun of things rich people did. Some things never change much, do they?

Filled with lots of slapstick, "Hogan's Alley" was chaotic and humorous.

(NEXT TIME: The Colorization Of Sunday Comics)



Recognized


Yawn, by cleo85, selected to complement my posting.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.