Romance Fiction posted September 26, 2023 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma makes a friendship gesture toward Seth.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Chapter 19 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 19 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After the dishes were finished, Emma glanced toward the door. "I need to head home." When Seth took his keys from his pocket, she pointed the direction of her house. "I live right there. I can walk. The sun hasn't completely set."

"You were on your feet most of the day. You're still healing. I'm not sure you should walk." When her eyes met his, he sighed. "I'll give in on the walking, but you won't walk alone." He grinned. "I'm not completely bossy. I can compromise."

"You can."

On the way down the lane, Seth had Ace follow Molly as she ran and played.

Inside, Seth did a quick scan. "Is there anything I can help with?"

"I think I'll just get ready for bed."

"Since tomorrow's a busy day, is six-thirty too early?"

"No. It'll be fine. Goodnight."

Seth paused at the door and then faced Emma. "I'll be by at six-forty-five."

Emma smiled. "I'll see you then."


TODAY'S POST

Chapter 19 A


Wednesday morning Seth and Carl entered Winters and noticed women putting colored beads into plastic bags. Carl said, "I bet Emma's behind this. What do you think?"

Seth grinned. "It has Emma written all over it."

Before long Emma brought over their coffee, pastries, and Ace's treat. "Is there anything else I can get you?"

Carl pointed at the women. "Emma, what's going on?"

"In the middle of the night I changed my story for today. So, the art activity changed. These ladies are helping me prepare."

"Why did your story change?" asked Seth.

"Maybe a prompt from God." She turned toward the ladies. "Sorry, but I need to help."

As she turned, a male voice yelled, "Emma!" and two arms encompassed her. "It's been a while."

She struggled to step back. "Ronnie, I didn't know you were in town."

"I got in last night. I couldn't wait to see you."

Her eyes focused on Seth.

*****
Seth quietly asked Carl, "Who's that? Emma doesn't look happy."

"That's Ronald Calhoun." Carl paused. "They dated briefly during her senior year."

Frowning, Seth said, "They broke up."

"She's told you about it?"

"She did," answered Seth. "He's a person of interest. I wonder how long he's been in town."

"I'll find out. She keeps looking at you. I wonder if she wants you to rescue her."

"From what? A greeting hug?" He hesitated, downed his coffee, and held up his cup. "Emma, could I have a refill?"

"Excuse me. One of my tables needs me." She grabbed the coffee pot and went to Seth's table. "Thank you."

"Ronnie Calhoun?" asked Seth. She nodded, then he continued, "How long has he been in town?"

"Since last night, I guess." Another table called her name. "I'd better get busy."

*****
When she turned, Ronnie stood behind her. "I'd like to catch up on old times. What time do you get off tonight? Maybe we can go to dinner."

"I'm sorry. I already have plans." Emma pointed. "My tables need me."

"When can we get together?" Ronnie called after her.

She ignored him.

*****
Just before Emma began reading her story, How the Crayons Saved the Rainbow by Monica Sweeney, Seth walked in and sat at a table. Keith brought over a coffee. "Ronnie Calhoun's in town."

"I saw his entrance this morning. How's Emma?"

"Not good. She's pretending it's okay."

"Do you know where he's staying and how long he'll be here?"

"Not really. I bet right now he's staying with his mom. His parents divorced years ago. I'll listen around the bakery. I'm sure the rumor mill will be busy."

Seth nodded. "Thank you." When Keith left, Seth focused on Emma reading the story.

When it ended, Emma said, "This story is about friendship. These two friends, the sun and the clouds, got into an argument. They eventually made up. I had prepared a different story, but last week didn't go so well and I took it out on one of my friends. This person was patient, and we patched up our friendship. For the art activity, we're going to make friendship bracelets."

Emma held up the example she'd made. "I made this for my friend and used colors I thought that person would like. I want you to think very hard about your best friend and then I want you to think of your best friend's favorite colors. After you've done that, you're ready to thread the colored beads your friend likes onto the cord. If you need help tying it, raise your hand and I'll help." Then she explained the outside expectations. As they went to the sidewalk, she passed Seth, took his hand, and slipped the friendship bracelet over it.

Their eyes met, and he mouthed, "Thank you."

While the children did the art activity, Emma noticed Peggy watching from a distance. I bet she's hoping for something to go wrong.

As the children left, Emma folded the chairs and stacked them on the trolley. Carl came up. "I'll return these to the church."

"Thank you." She motioned toward Seth. "He put you up to it, didn't he?"

Carl chuckled. "I refuse to answer."

Seth walked up. "How are you holding up? Will you get a break before the first youth group meets?"

Emma glanced at her watch. "I'm not sure." She hesitated. "Did you..."

"Notice Ms. Barton watching?" interrupted Seth. "I did. Everything went perfectly. Don't worry. I need to get back to work. I'll come by later and escort you to the church."

"You don't need to."

He touched the friendship bracelet. "It's what friends do for friends. See you later."

*****
As Emma and Seth walked to the church, Seth asked, "Any thoughts on Ronnie Calhoun?"

"Do I know why he's in town? No. Do I know why he suddenly wants to catch up? No. Do I want him anywhere around me? No."

Seth grinned. "I'm glad we have that out in the open."

As they walked into the church, Pastor Pat said, "I'm glad you're here." He hugged Emma. "Both your groups will meet in room five. Seth, I need to speak with you for a few minutes."

Emma glanced at her phone. "The kids will be here in about ten minutes. I'll set up."

Calling after her, Seth said, "I'll hang around and take you home."

She smiled and shook her head.

Seth did his best to hold his temper at bay while Pastor Pat explained Peggy Barton had signed up for the Apostles Creed Class. It's just another attempt at causing trouble. Maybe she'll get bored and only attend once. I can hope.

As people arrived, they sat in the circle of chairs he'd set up. He tapped the book against his palm as he waited.

When it was six o'clock, Seth introduced himself and welcomed everyone.

As he finished, Peggy walked in. "Sorry, I'm late. I couldn't decide what to wear."



******
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Winters - the bakery/bookstore Emma's parents own.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager



Recognized

#11
September
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for image of the story 'How the Crayons saved the Rainbow'.

A reviewer mentioned that bakery/bookstore was too long. I changed the name of it to Winters.

Chapter 19 is divided up into two parts. This is part 1 of Chapter 19. I do this so the posts aren't' as long. This post is a little over 1000 words.

I'm posting in a hotel room while waiting for my husband to get ready. In my family, I'm the one who is always waiting. LOL I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.

I made major changes as I posted. I hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.