General Fiction posted September 25, 2023 Chapters:  ...49 50 -51- 52... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One day at a time

A chapter in the book One Man's Calling

One Man's Calling, ch 51

by Wayne Fowler


In the last part Ben was accosted by Diamond Jim’s son. Ben injured him and was subsequently arrested. After three days in jail, Henry got him out on bail just as Angelo from Chicago showed up. Mario, Diamond Jim’s son, dies.

Two days after the article of Ben’s altercation and arrest was published, Pastor James Coley sat in his Los Angeles church office reading the San Francisco Chronicle, a routine he engaged in once or twice each week. “It can’t be!” he said to himself. “Ben’s…” He made arrangements for a fill-in pastor and was on the next train to San Francisco. In his satchel was his Peacemaker, a Colt 45.

James wore an outfit similar to that worn in Creede, Colorado, as he had boarded the train with Ben, Billy, and Jones more than a year past. His reverse collar was in his satchel, his six-gun was strapped onto his side. He entered Henry’s office as wild west lawman.

“Oh, my Lord! Where are we, Tombstone?” Henry’s voice carried all over the building. “First Paladin, now Wyatt Earp! We’re not going to have a gunfight at the O.K. corral in the middle of San Francisco – cowboys against the syndicate! Oh, my Lord. Somebody run and get Ben. He probably went home to take a bath.

“You,” Henry continued, pointing to James. “Come with me.” James casually followed Henry to his office where he proceeded to tell him the whole story. James told Henry of the stagecoach attempted robbery where Ben stopped the hold-up, of the Colorado hunting camp where Ben saved the injured hunter, and the events at the Clabber creek cave-in where Ben died. And of Ben’s burial.  Angelo told of Ben’s Chicago experiences the day before. Henry spent a long time sitting in his office chair.

After hailing a taxi to take James to Ben’s apartment, Henry left for the day early, headed for his church to ask his pastor to help him pray, a first for Henry Halleck.

+++

In Ben’s apartment the three, Ben, Angelo, and James, determined how best to survive, thinking that a master plan depended on staying alive first. Angelo, knowing the gang, somewhat demanded that he take night watch. The Chicago boys liked fire. And James Coley knew guns… and God.

It was unlikely that the gang would learn Ben’s address this early. They probably had at least a couple days. But it wouldn’t be as simple as hiding out somewhere else. There were other people, other residents to consider.

Vincent Colosimo had a letter of introduction from the Chicago Police Commissioner. He would play that card the next day.

+++

Henry walked up to Ben’s building just after first light, trailed by Angelo who was watching for anyone who may have followed him. His bag of doughnuts was greatly appreciated.

“Ben,” Henry began. “I don’t suppose you would consider leaving town until your trial?”

A glance to the men’s faces dismissed that notion.

“Didn’t think so. So how about limiting your work to preaching in various churches. You know, moving from one to another?”

“Wasn’t called to preach to the saved, Henry.”

“But it would just be tempor… So that’s out, huh? Okay, you have friends in Chinatown. Surely there’s a mission field you can find …”

“Too many innocents. And I don’t think these Chicago boys will respect our Chinese friends.”

“Ben, I don’t mean to diminish Angelo, or James, but they’re only two. And 24 hours a day stretches them pretty thin. How about we talk to Clyde and get a small army to …”

“Now Henry, how many people would accept the word of God if they saw me surrounded by an army? No Henry. I appreciate your concern, but …”

“Then maybe jail is the best place. You said yourself you’ve been saving prisoners.” Henry threw in his last suggestion before Ben totally dismissed every sensible option.

“Henry, maybe it’s you who are diminishing God. I know you believe. I know that, Henry. Look, I’m not a fatalist. I don’t have a death wish, although I’ve seen the other side and I’m anxious to see it again, to go on to glory land. If I’m swung on, sure, I’ll duck. I’m not a martyr, Henry. But I believe God. My job is to respond to his call. God’s using me. I know it. Just like he’s using you, and Angelo, and James, and anyone willing to yield themselves to his work.

“I don’t want anyone hurt. And I don’t want to cower from God’s call. What’s in between, Henry?”

Angelo cleared his throat, asking for the floor. “Henry, these boys, these boys play mean. They don’t play fair. They won’t be meeting anyone at your OK corral. You make good points, good suggestions about being safe. But you are thinking of the wrong people. Ben has not wife, or children, or loved ones that the Colosimo gang knows of, or can even learn of. But you do. Am I right?

“They might try that, kidnap your family. They know that Ben would give himself to them. And they would be across the bay and on a train. Maybe kill your family of witnesses.” Angelo shrugged as Henry turned pale, stumbling for a seat.

James calmly suggested Henry move them to somewhere safe, anywhere, even somewhere in the city would do. And that Henry, himself, not go home until the gang is dealt with.

Angelo kept the floor a moment longer. “The way Mario died, kicked in the coconuts. That will be playing on those boys. They’ll be acting crazy. Making mistakes.”

“And God won’t,” James said.

“Pride is my concern today, this morning,” Ben said. “Pride and arrogance. I will not tempt God.”

“How many policemen can be trusted?” Angelo asked Henry.

Henry shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe half. But identifying them, recruiting them would not be healthy for their future. They need to remain as they are until after the next election.”

Angelo and James nodded.

“I’ve never seen the Presidio,” James said.

Angelo and Henry didn’t know what to make of that remark. Angelo didn’t know what a Presidio was, but a thought flew through his mind that he’d never seen the ocean, or a whale, or a flying fish.

“Good place to pray,” Ben said, nodding.

“And I can move my family. I have to be in court at nine, but…”

“Tell me your address and I will watch your house until you can arrange things,” Angelo offered to Henry’s smiling nod.

A member of the Tong stood outside Ben’s apartment waiting for him. “Mr. Ben,” he said, bowing slightly. “Two Chicago men are at sea this morning. One to Hong Kong. The other to Japan, I think.”

Ben bowed slightly to him. “Please tell Fang Cheng I am grateful.” Ben wasn’t all that happy about the Colosimo men being shanghaied, but accepted the assistance.

+++

Three days later, after James and Ben took Angelo to see the ocean, despite him never mentioning the desire, a messenger was waiting for them at Ben’s apartment with a note requesting Ben to enter Henry’s office through the back door early that next morning.

“The D. A. will drop the charges if you will leave town. Ben, maybe that’s God calling you somewhere else.”

Angelo and James both snapped their heads toward Ben, quizzical expressions obvious.

Henry continued. “And you have to call off Dwight Moody.”

Ben spewed in his indignation. Gradually, he began to chuckle, and then laugh.

“I expect that came from the mayor,” Henry added.

“I thought Chicago was bad,” Angelo said.

“Guess evil’s everywhere,” James said.

“Ben, I’ve seen the police reports. The two officers will testify that they witnessed you kicking Mario Colosimo, unprovoked.” Henry’s gravity was plain.

“Henry. I don’t fear jail. I don’t fear the noose. What I fear is failing God. You are free to ignore the offer, or to respond as you see fit. I think I will, though, send a telegram to Mr. Moody and give him the opportunity to follow his conscience and faith. Thank you, Henry. Today, I think we’ll sample San Francisco’s best sourdough down at the dock of the bay. I can’t seem to get the image of a ship of sailors who need to hear about Jesus out of my mind.”

Henry smiled and nodded. “Trial’s set for September 4th. Every minister in the city will testify. And we’re deposing others left and right, including a young man who was a cook on your sailing ship.”

“Jimmy,” Ben said, smiling. “Just so you know, Henry. If asked, I’ll tell the truth. I struck the first blow.”

“After you were grabbed, right?” Henry asked. “But never mind that. I don’t plan to put you on the witness stand.”

James let out an involuntary groan. Ben just smiled.

Henry’s gaze bore into Ben’s eyes. “Ben, they wouldn’t be asking about your fight with Mario. They would attempt to grill you about Diamond Jim. You would hang for killing Diamond Jim, not his son.”

Sobered, Ben admitted solemnly, “Maybe I did kill Diamond Jim. Maybe I should answer for that. But I can’t worry about that today. We have a ship full of sailors to meet.”





Ben Persons: a young man following God's call
Angelo: (La Lama - the blade) a Chicago friend of Ben, now a Chicago police lieutenant
Henry Halleck: lawyer friend of Ben
Diamond Jim: Vincenzo Colosimo, Chicago precursor to Al Capone's Chicago Outfit
James Coley: (Thomas Coleman) an outlaw from Colorado, turned California preacher. He came to Ben's assistance against Salinger in an earlier chapter
Vincent Colosimo: son of Diamond Jim of Chicago
Mario Colosimo: son of Diamond Jim who Ben kicked and subsequently died
Fang Cheng: boss of the Chinese underworld in the Chinatown of San Francisco
Clyde Simpkins: San Francisco resident who helped Ben rescue two men, a union organizer

Below is a Wikipedia account of the shootout at the O.K. corral. It is not particularly relevant to this story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfight_at_the_O.K._Corral
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.