Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 1, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My Santa book comes to life.

Book is published

by Terry Broxson


I have finished publishing a book. Parts of the story have previously been shared. Here is the rest of the story. This is the book's premise:
 
It all started with a dream. I'd awakened at about five in the morning. Terry, write a new story about A Christmas Carol. Instead of having Scrooge as the character, have the man who will become Santa Claus as the main character.
 
Umm, I thought. Now that is an interesting idea.
 
As I lay in bed that morning, the story began to develop in my mind. How would someone convince a fellow to build enough toys for all the kids in the world? Add in the fact the fellow would have to live at the North Pole, work with elves (elves?), and deliver all the toys on the night of Christmas Eve every year.
 
Oh yeah, and this guy, now called Santa, had to make all the deliveries in a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer.
 
***
 
I know many writers on FS have published books, and others are considering it. I want to share my experiences as an opportunity to compare notes and perhaps give an idea or two for those considering their own project.
 
My book is ten thousand words, and the target audience is an adult who would have fun sharing a new Christmas story about Santa with a child.
 
At seventy-seven years old, I know I don't have time for a traditional publisher. Waiting on the rejection letter might take longer than I have. I want the book available this Christmas.
 
I hired a publisher, Atmosphere Press. They consider themselves a hybrid publisher. They offer a wide range of services.  The client-writer decides which services to use. They have published a thousand books or so since starting business in 2015. I did due diligence, including talking to several authors whose books were published.  
 
There is no cost or obligation to submit a manuscript. Before submitting, I hired Fanstorian Rama Devi, a professional editor and writing coach, to review my manuscript. Her work proved to be invaluable and worthwhile.   
 
I also asked FS members Ann Mullen (Annmuma) and Debi Marquette to be early readers and provide advice and insight on the story. Part of my thinking included my target audience of grandparents. They checked that box and are both excellent writers. 
 
After receiving and reviewing the manuscript, Atmosphere quoted a $5,500 fee to develop the book. The process starts with a round of editorial review. Big picture-type stuff like word style, flow, consistency, accuracy, and structure for your target audience.
 
After signing the contract, the manuscript went to an editor. The Atmosphere Press staff are mostly published writers; several have PhDs in creative writing. I thought all were very competent.
 
The editor assigned to my project reviewed the work, sent me a written report, and then a phone call to talk about the changes she suggested. Several items were discussed, but the bottom line changes were to delete three semi-colons.
 
So, Rama, Ann, and Debi take a bow! It would not have looked that good without you.
 
While the editorial process happens, other professionals are working on the front and back cover of the book with my input.
 
A book about Santa needs illustrations.  My contract included up to thirty graphics supplied by the writer. I had an option from the publisher to provide custom images costing maybe up to $4,000. I chose to use Clipart.com. They are very reasonable ($99.95) and have a lot of great art.
 
I liked the final designs of the front and back covers. The interior layout proved to be professional, and the ideas presented were useful.
 
With the big picture looking good, the next step was proofreading, not this guy's specialty. The first proofreading recommended a few hundred edits. The number surprised me. Even so, I accepted all but one.
 
As an option, for $400, I could add a cold read. This consisted of another proofreader who knew nothing about the book doing a final read. I thought there was no way anyone would find more errors. But my experience on FS suggested even when I thought the work to be perfect—maybe not.
 
I spent $400. The proofreader found an additional seventeen corrections. Of course, there may still be mistakes. I call this the crazies. I know there must be an error, but I just can't see it.
 
Each step of the way, I had the final sign-off.
 
There are other choices, like working with a web designer. Maybe you want a website ($1,000 and up). I didn't. 
 
I did want a hardback edition of the book, a $500 option.
 
I also wanted marketing support. They have different levels of support.  I selected their highest level of service, including some ads on social media and Amazon. The marketing included respected independent book review services, press releases, bookings on some podcasts, and other support. This option costs $5,000.
 
In theory, setting the book's price is the writer's decision. But in reality, the marketing manager sets the price. I thought it to be a little high, but she felt it aligned with a specialty book about Christmas. 
 
Royalties with Atmosphere are split 90% to the author and 10% to Atmosphere. But what does it really mean? And will the author make any money after the publisher, printer, and bookseller? 
 
Understand that Amazon is a bookseller for most of the books sold. They also own the printing company and have a publishing arm. Even my publisher admits the final cost and royalties due are not auditable and depend on the printer and bookseller for honesty.
 
I know my way around business. But in publishing, I'm an old hick from Texas. I ain't got the clout of  Stephen King or James Patterson. A writer like me has to depend on everyone's honesty.
 
One more money thing: all expenses incurred (US only) in publishing the book can be added to a Schedule C on your tax return. This means the costs incurred will reduce your taxable income by the amount spent.
 
Over the years, I have invested in several businesses. Some failed, others succeeded. I view this effort as an entrepreneurial opportunity to put money into something I believe in and hope for a monetary return. If so, great. If not, there is a tax write-off. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
 
***
 
Here are the simple facts about how FanStory and you, the members, helped this book become a reality.
 
It started with a 3,500-word story inspired by a dream in March of this year. A story about Santa Claus in March? It got 42 reviews. The number one rated story for March—a first for me.
 
I submitted the story to the committee for consideration for a Seal of Quality. The committee said, "Not so fast. This needs lots of work."
 
I added 6,500 words.
 
I hired Rama Devi. I asked my friends Ann and Debi to volunteer as sounding boards. 
 
I'm also thankful to the many members who helped me with reviews and suggestions. I may not be good. But even my harshest critic says I'm getting better.
 
I'm proud of the book. I had a lot of fun. 
 
Six stars to each of you who reviewed the story, the committee who said it needed work, and the special ladies who played a part from start to finish. You are a unique family of writers.
 
***
 
Santa Claus: The Beginning will be published on November 7th. It will be available on Amazon and other booksellers. Preorders are available with shipping of paperback editions now, but only on Amazon. Hardback copies will be available on the publishing date.
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Recognized

#9
October
2023


For those who are interested in getting a copy of the book. Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGC5HWR3
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.