War and History Non-Fiction posted September 7, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Australian nurses murdered

Singapore 1942

by Aussie


The Vyner Brooke, an evacuation ship, was sunk by Japanese Zero planes. Army nurses helped wounded Australian soldiers to Radji Beach where they lit a bonfire. This alerted Japanese soldiers. Aussies bayoneted.

Looking at a sparkling sea, twenty-two nurses (after being raped) were told to walk into the sea.

Sobbing and shaking, they knew death was waiting.
Vivien Bullwinkle was one of the nurses who survived. Shot in the shoulder she played dead until the Japanese left.

On Radji Beach she found a wounded Australian. He died, and she surrendered. After the war, Vivien became Lieutenant Colonel. And highly decorated WW11 heroine.






True Story Flash contest entry

Recognized


Contest Entry for 100 words True Story. A heroic woman who was shot and survived then spent 3.5 years in a P.0.W camp. When the Japanese surrendered, the prisoners wanted to return to Australia. Instead, they stayed in Singapore because they only weighed 11 Kg. After they gained weight they came home, Vivian was one of those brave women. How often must she have thought of her 21 nurses who died beside her? The cruelty of the Japanese during the war was horrific.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.