Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 17, 2023 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My Second appearance as an author.

A chapter in the book Writing Journey

Local Meet the Author Fair

by barbara.wilkey




Background
I can't say thank you enough to my FanStory friends and family. Your support has kept me writing.
The purpose for me sharing this is not to brag, but to encourage all of you if I can do this so can you. I honestly believe that many of you are much better authors than me. I learn from your writing every time I read your posts. For that I am grateful.

Now for what is coming up this Saturday. I was invited to attend a Local Meet the Author Fair held at the Harker Heights Library. It's from 11:00 - 3:00. I was contacted last week and asked if I wanted to be videotaped reading a section of a book. I agreed. They said it would be posted on their FaceBook page.

I will also be launching my newest book Gateway to Deception. So far, this book has done very well in sales. I am excited about that. It is for sale on Amazon and it's on GoodReads. My previously published books are on those sites also.

Some have asked about the price. Yes, it's expensive $16.99. I don't agree with that price because I'm a new author and not really established. My publisher, Kevin and I are having a constant battle over the price. I keep losing. The reason I keep losing is because out of the $16.99, I only get $4.31. Kevin feels that's not enough, but I have settled for that. I won't be getting rich anytime soon. I have made enough I've had to claim it on taxes. LOL

When I do the Meet the Author, I take books that I've purchased at the author's price, about $5.00, depending on the book and I sell them for $10.00. I'm hoping to build up my fan base by doing this. So far it's working.

No, I do not do eBooks. I did my first three books as eBooks and people did read them. Unfortunately, Amazon sold them for zero dollars. That's okay, people were reading them. I had different publishers then. Kevin noticed it and gained control of those books and deleted the eBooks. Again, because Amazon did away with the original cost, which was only around $5.00. It doesn't bother me because I prefer a book in my hand anyway. Kevin's marketing team and he are having a battle over the eBooks now. I am sitting this one out. I'll go with whoever wins that battle, like I really have a choice. LOL

Another question I often have is about editing. Yes, I pay for editing. The editing on FanStory is okay, but not nearly in-depth enough to publish. When I publish, I want my novel to be as good as I can get it. My name is on it. I go through three different editors. I have a person who taught English who edits, and her cost is only a free published book. Then I have another editor who charges about one cent per word. My books run about 90,00 words. She does a very in-depth and wonderful job. She catches all the strange habits I tend to have and no matter how much I try I still do it. LOL After I've made all those changes, my publisher sends my work through his editors. I have tried just going through his editors to save money, but in my opinion they are horrible. I didn't catch hardly anything. So, it held up publishing because I had to go back to my step two publisher after waiting on him. I was not happy, and we shared a few words. Even after my books are published and I read them, I find things I want to change. I'm never completely satisfied.

I can't think of any other questions people have asked. If I've missed anything, please ask. I'll help in any way I can.

I'm editing this because I just received another question. I'll add the answer here, I did in the reply too. I have published 5 total books. I have written a total of nine. One that I'm posting on FanStory, now, one is completed and waiting for me to finish the one I'm posting. I am in the process of writing another one, that's moving slowly because I have two books that I've finished posting on FanStory and are finished with the editing and I'm making corrections now. So, writing is on hold for a little while. Please understand that I'm retired. All I do is workout, play with my dachshund, Harley, talk with my husband and write. Before I retired, I only wrote on school breaks.



Recognized

#15
August
2023


Thank you google images for a photograph the the Harker Heights Library.

I am hoping to get back to my letters for my granddaughters next week. So much has been happening that it's been set aside.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.