General Non-Fiction posted August 14, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I love my hometown.

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Sarah Robin

When I was growing up in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, I didn't appreciate the wonderful city where we lived. I wanted to see the world!

My parents insisted that we got good grades, went to church, and worked for our spending money. I spent several summers packing peaches and handing tobacco leaves. The owner of the orchard told us we could eat as many peaches as we wanted. I polished off about 5 the first day and ate my next one thirty years later. That fuzz got on your skin and burned when you took a shower. We did not know that tobacco was harmful at that time. I enjoyed spending time with my cousins in the fields and having watermelon every day.

The good grades paid off. I was awarded scholarships for college, and I couldn't wait to leave home. Three years later, I married an NC State engineer. We moved around a lot with his job. But, we always came back to Winston-Salem for the Easter holidays.

Easter in Winston-Salem is very special. Salem was founded by the Moravians in 1766. They hold a Sunrise service every year on Easter Sunday. The band starts playing a few hours before sunrise and the people gather in Salem Square. At sunrise, the minister begins the service with a prayer. He proclaims, "The Lord is Risen." The crowd begins the walk to "God's Acre", the Moravian cemetery.

Thousands of people from around the world come to attend this service. Afterwards, we gather with friends for breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage and fruit are on every menu. Krispy Kreme donuts are served everywhere. They are a gift to us from the early Moravian bakers.

Reynolds Tobacco Company was one of the early businesses in the town of Winston in 1875. Winston and Salem were growing fast and the towns decided to join together and use both names. Hence, Winston-Salem.

The tobacco business was very profitable. Richard J. Reynolds was magnanimous with his employees as well as the townspeople. He set up retirement accounts for the workers and most of them retired with healthy sums. He built schools, libraries and houses. Parks were created with golf courses, places to practice all sports and picnic tables for families. Winston-Salem is a beautiful city.

The Reynolds family donated the land and helped with moving Wake Forest University from Wake Forest, NC to Winston-Salem. We all enjoy sports, especially football, basketball and golf. They also have tournaments for all the other sports.

There are other colleges and institutions in the city. Salem College, Winston-Salem State University and North Carolina School of the Arts are among the best. There is also a great Medical School. The Reynolds home, Reynolda House is now the Museum of American Art.
Hanes Knitting, Garner Foods, Quality Oil, and McLean Trucking are other employers in the city.

When the tobacco industry was winding down the city welcomed jobs in technology, health care and business. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is the largest employer in Forsyth County. Fast growing biomedical research is making a huge contribution to our health care and quality of life.

The best part of our city is its people. They are very kind and courteous. And, they are always ready to lend a helping hand. When the the Magnolias, Dogwoods and Crepe Myrtles are in bloom, there is no prettier place on earth!

I did get to go home again to live close to friends and family. I love my hometown and home made peach ice cream is one of my favorite desserts.



A Tribute to Your Home Town contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sarah Robin All rights reserved.
Sarah Robin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.