General Fiction posted August 6, 2023 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Following God

A chapter in the book One Man's Calling

One Man's Calling, Ch. 33

by Wayne Fowler


In the last part Ben escaped from Diamond Jim to the A.M.E. church, though he was unaware of the help. Ben began street preaching all around Diamond Jim’s territory. Angelo was accepted by his captain and partnered with a good cop. Diamond Jim frantically sought Ben.

*****

“Good morning, Angelo,” a voice said from the shadows.

“Who’re … Ben? Is that you?”

Ben stepped toward his friend. “And who else? And who else dressed in a suit would walk into town at first light?”

The two hugged one another.

“You were in the basement of the Lucky Seven, weren’t you?”

“If that was the name of it, yes.”

“I thought so. I heard a crash, and felt you.”

Ben smiled. “You felt the Holy Spirit, my friend, the Holy Spirit.”

“You’re preaching all around Diamond Jim? Why? What’s your plan?”

“My plan? My plan is to do what God says. No more, no less.”

Angelo started to ask how long he thought he could do that, but thought better. “How can I help? What can I do? I can get you to a train depot, but you won’t get on, will you?”

Ben smiled. “Do what God asks. No more, no less.” Ben repeated himself. “Keep your mind on what God would have you to do. Not just here, with me, but every day, my friend, my very good friend. And don’t worry. By day’s end I’ll be on one of two trains: one headed for San Francisco, or one bound for glory.”

Angelo nodded. “I, I don’t, I really don’t know which one I prefer.”

Ben laughed, joined by Angelo. Another hug and they walked away, Angelo to work and then to try to stay close to Ben, and Ben to preach.

+++

“Blessed are the poor in spirit. Blessed are those who mourn. Blessed are the meek. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. Blessed are the merciful. Blessed are the pure in heart. Blessed are the peacemakers. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven.”

Ben began preaching in the same manner he had the day before, shifting his location every few minutes. Occasionally, he caught glimpses but more, he felt Diamond Jim chasing him, even running, in his attempts to catch him. In his mind, he saw Diamond Jim panting with exhaustion. In fact, Diamond Jim outran his exhausted, overweight and out of condition thugs. Pure hatefulness drove Diamond Jim up one block and down another following the sound of Ben’s preaching. Finally, hours after most people in the streets had arrived at their places of employment and before the streets filled with the lunch break crowds, Ben stood in the center of the street, preaching God’s Gospel. He didn’t budge as Diamond Jim nearly fell into him, loosely grabbing the collar of his shirt. All Jim could do was to gasp for breath, heaving for air and recovery of his strength.

Ben looked at him with eyes of pity.

A half block away, one of the few four-horse teams in harness to a large city bus stopped to let off its passengers. At the same time, Angelo rounded the corner, not a hundred feet from Ben and Diamond Jim.

Ben and Angelo’s eyes locked for a half-second as Angelo deftly pulled his gun. Slapping the lead horse, Angelo fired his gun into the air beside the horse’s ear. Untrained to gunfire, the team bolted, a veritable stampede down the road, the few pedestrians dived out of the way, both to the left and the right. Diamond Jim still drooling and panting, possibly aware, possibly not, stood rock still as though his legs were locked. As if with practiced deftness, Ben leaped onto the lead horse’s back while the team and the trailing wagon bowled atop of, and over Diamond Jim, sending him to his own reward. Within a dozen yards, Ben managed to stop the team. Once he settled them with his natural calming manner toward animals, he bowed his head toward Angelo, and then fast-walked to a nearby train depot, a westbound train about to depart.





Ben Persons: a man following God's call
Angelo: a young, tough guy that Ben converted and then convinced to be a policeman
Richard Costello: police captain
Dirkowitz (Dirk): good policeman
Diamond Jim: Vincenzo Colosimo, Chicago precursor to Al Capone's Chicago Outfit
John 'Mushmouth' Johnson: kingpin of Chicago, owner of gambling joints, bars, and bordellos

Matthew 5 (the Beatitudes) paraphrased in Ben's sermons
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.