Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 13, 2023 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When I was younger, I wish I had known

A chapter in the book A Paper Time Capsule

Letter 7

by barbara.wilkey




Background
I'm sharing stories with my granddaughters, now ages three and five as keepsake collection when they're older.
Dear Charlotte and Eleanor,

I grew up in a very traditional family. Dad worked and Mom stayed home. My younger brother and I were teenagers when Mom went back to work. Times were different back then.

The importance of getting an education was never a question in our home. That fact was well known and from my earliest memories, much like going to church wasn't an option, neither was going to college.

The problem was my very traditional father. I could be a nurse, a teacher, or a secretary. Those were traditional female occupations. I wanted to be a veterinarian. Nope, that was a man's occupation.

I was known in our neighborhood as the pied piper of stray pets. They'd follow me home from school. I thought it was great, my parents not so much.

Back to the original problem, I wanted to be a veterinarian. Even though I was a daddy's girl, when it came to this problem, having him wrapped around my little finger didn't work. No amount of batting my big brown eyes, pouting, or tears helped. I was destined to NOT be a veterinarian.

Finally, I resolved myself to the fact I'd never get to choose my own occupation, so I became a teacher. I did enjoy it. I love children, but still my heart yearned to be a veterinarian.

I'm happy to remind you that your older cousin, AriAnna is studying to be a veterinarian. I'm betting great grandpa is rolling over in his grave.

What I wish I had known when I was younger is that females can be whatever they want and don't let anybody tell you they can't.

Lesson Learned:

* choose your course and don't allow anyone to talk you out of it




Recognized

#13
July
2023


Thank you google a poster about St Francis. I struggled with artwork for this one, but since I wanted to be a veternarian, I chose St. Francis.

I'm thinking the girls should receive this post while they're thinking about college.

Next weeks prompt: My brightest hope for the future is...

I envision the girls reading them on their own, so I probably will prepare them for each child, even though here I am posting them for both girls. I think that would be more personal, if I did them individually.

As I edited this post this week, deleted as many words as possible. I am attempting to stick to the suggested writing prompt and number of words. I've decided to add additional letters where I can go into more details. I'll finish the writing prompt first and then go into more depth and post those letters too.

Thank you for your support and suggestions.

Next weeks prompt: When I was younger, I wish I had known

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.