Romance Fiction posted July 9, 2023 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seth's accusation hurts Emma

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 14 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 14 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Seth let the dogs out. "Ace, time for you to do your thing." He walked to the backdoor and studied the outside. "I'm hoping we can finish the dog porch this weekend."

"I'll miss you and Ace coming down every evening. Molly will miss her friend."

His eyes met hers. "Our visits will continue. I can't imagine they won't."

She set the guitar down. "Good."

After Ace herded Molly inside, Seth said, "I'll see you in the morning. If you need anything, you know how to contact me. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." She watched Ace and Seth walk up the lane to his house.

*****
At home Seth called Jake. "That Crown Vic's on the road again. He leaves when he sees me. I don't have a good feeling about this. Any suggestions?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 14 A

Friday afternoon, business had slowed at the Winters' bakery/bookstore, so Emma's father suggested she go home around three o'clock. Once home, she took Molly outside. While they walked around the front yard, Emma heard a meow from a live oak tree. She glanced up and saw an orange tabby lodged between two branches. She called to the cat, and received additional meows. It's trapped. Emma carried a ladder from the garage, propped it against the tree, and climbed.

She had almost reached the cat when a male voice asked, "What are you doing?"

Surprised, she jerked around, became off balance, and fell. Seth caught her. "You all right?" The ladder landed on the ground.

"It's you. Thank you. I'm fine." She pointed at the tree. "A kitty's trapped. I'm helping it down."

He set her on the ground and pointed. "You mean that orange cat that ran into the weeds that your fur ball's chasing?"

"Molly?" She exhaled and frowned. "Molly's fur will be loaded with sandspurs. I need to get her." She ran to the edge of the weeds and called.

Shaking his head, Seth said, "Ace, get her." He picked up the ladder. "I'll put this away."

Ace took off after the small dog.

Emma turned. "Thank you." Once Ace herded Molly to Emma, she picked up the four-pound dog. "Let's get inside and pick out those burrs." Seth followed her toward the house, and she asked, "Seth, would you like a glass of tea?"

After pouring two drinks, Emma sat on the couch and proceeded to clean Molly's fur.

Seth took a sip of tea. "Why are you home? I thought you stayed last night to make up missing hours."

"I did. Dad said things were slow and sent me home. He saw no reason for three waitresses to be there. Is something wrong?" She tilted her head. "Why aren't you at work?"

"I got frustrated and came home. If they need me, they can call." Seth nodded toward the back door. "I was working out back and needed some corner braces. I returned from the hardware store in time to catch you. You didn't know I came home early, did you?"

Her eyebrow crunched together. "How would I?"

"That's true."

"Out back did you wear a shirt?" When he shook his head, Emma continued, "I hope you were careful with your sunburn. It wouldn't be good getting sunburn on existing sunburn. It's better but still healing."

"I used sunscreen."

"You did before and couldn't reach that spot. Can I take a look?"

"I used spray this time. I checked in the mirror and made sure I sprayed everywhere."

"I'd like to touch it and make sure there's no heat."

Seth yanked his T-shirt over his head, stood with his feet apart, and hands on his belt buckle. "If you want to see me naked and feel my body, just say so. Don't act coy."

Emma raised her hand to slap, but instead snapped, "How dare you!" She lowered her hand as tears welled in her eyes and streamed down her cheeks. "Leave."

Clutching his T-shirt, Seth headed toward the door. "Ace, come." He exited, but Ace remained by Emma.

On the front porch, Seth slipped on his T-shirt as he turned, stared, and almost whispered, "Emma?" He entered and stood beside her. Her back was to him.

She removed her phone from her back pocket. "I'll move in with my parents. I'll be out of here tomorrow."

Seth took her phone and laid it on the counter. "Don't."

"I won't stay where I'm not wanted."

"You're wanted." Seth paused. "I'm sorry. Let me explain. If you still want me to leave, I will." He pointed to the couch. "Can we sit?"

Swallowing, Emma sat and dried her tears. Ace laid by her feet and Molly climbed on her lap.

"Even Ace is upset with me." Seth started to sit in the chair across from Emma but stood by the couch. "Can I sit beside you?" She scooted closer to the edge, as he sat.

After a lengthy silence, Seth said, "I really don't have an excuse, but I'm glad you're willing to listen."

Emma avoided eye contact as tears trickled from her eyes.

"After I left last night, I called Jake, and we discussed a few cases until well after midnight. I had just fallen asleep when Jake called back. The person Jake and I interviewed Tuesday died from a drug overdose. The syringe was still in the arm. Before I left Tuesday, Jake and I admitted this person to drug rehab."

"Overdosed in rehab?"

Seth studied his hands. "It could be accidental, but we think the dealer knew the person spoke with us, was afraid the person gave up information and was murdered. We weren't interested in the drug use. It was a different matter. Jake's conducting an investigation. The situation bothered me and couldn't get back to sleep. Bottom line, last night I didn't get much sleep." He hesitated. "It's not an excuse."

"I'm sorry this person died."

"This morning when I got to work, we released Marc Elliot, the young man who harassed you. A little later, he showed up with his dad, George Elliot. Dad was angry we had the audacity to arrest this son."

"I'm sure you know Dad's a city council member and from old money," added Emma. "I knew he had a son but didn't realize he'd gotten that old."

Nodding, Seth reached for his glass of iced tea. "I explained we didn't press charges. We just kept him safe until he sobered up. The dad threw his weight around. I explained I could've arrested him for underage drinking, public intoxication, and sexual harassment. Elliot was relentless. Somehow he got the impression the only reason, I was involved was because you and I are dating and I was jealous you liked his son."

"We're not dating, and I don't like his son."

"Elliot wouldn't believe it. He called Mayor Castle. I had to justify my actions."

"I'm sorry. I don't see how your day could get any worse."

"It did." He took a drink of tea. "After I assured the mayor, everything was above board and returned to my office. Take a guess who was waiting?"

"Peggy Barton?"

"Yep. She said you pretended to be innocent and manipulated situations where you made sure I was involved."

"It looked suspicious when I got off early the same day you did and accidently fell off the ladder just in time for you to catch me, especially when the kitty got itself down." Emma took another burr from Molly's fur and studied it. "I understand how it looked."

"At first when I looked in your eyes, I saw anger. That immediately changed, and I realized you were hurt. Again, there's no excuse for my comment. Since you're talking to me, I'm hoping you've changed your mind about moving and can forgive me."

"I'm not sure." She held Molly up and looked at her eye-to-eye. "What do you think, girl? Should we give him another chance?"

Molly barked.

Seth hesitated. "What did she say?"

"She said you're building her a dog porch, so she and her mom remain safe." Emma exhaled. "She also reminded me a few nights ago you stayed on the phone with me all night."

His attempt at hiding his grin failed. "Fur Ball, what if I take your mom to Burger Bob's for a cheeseburger basket? Would that help?"

Emma stood, walked to the back door, and stared out.

Seth followed. "Emma?"

She turned, but no eye contact. "I'd like to go, but if we're seen in public wouldn't it aggravate the situation with Peggy?

"I realize I'm allowing people I don't care about to affect my thinking. I do care about what you think."

"I don't have the extra money right now to go out."

"My treat."

"But then it becomes a date."

Seth shoved his hands in his pockets. "You fixed dinner last night. I'm simply repaying the favor."

Emma's eyes met his. "That's pushing it." After she petted Ace and exhaled, she asked, "Am I being used as a pawn against Peggy?"

"I deserved that." Seth ran his fingers through his short hair. "No, I asked because I'm trying to convince you that I'm not a jerk. When I look into your green eyes, I want to see that familiar sparkle."

"Okay, I'll go."

"Since you've never been on a motorcycle and Ace can't go, want a ride on my Harley?"

"Maybe...yes."

*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager



Recognized

#8
July
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for an image of an orange tabby in a tree.

Chapter 14 is divided into two parts. This post is the first part of Chapter 14. This post is a little over 1400 words long.

Happy for any suggestions. As usual I made changes as I posted. I hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.