General Fiction posted July 5, 2023 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Following God one day at a time

A chapter in the book One Man's Calling

One Man's Calling, Ch 24

by Wayne Fowler


In the last part Ben and Tony went to a Chicago White Stockings baseball game and festival. Ben was instrumental in Billy Sunday’s conversion.

“Ben, how come you never take an offering?” Tony asked one day as they were returning from preaching at the ball park. “You know, like some others do. Before you came, I saw one on Wabash Street. He would scream for a few minutes and then walk around with his hat out.”

Ben smiled. “Oh, I will, I suppose. But not until God tells me to.”

“God really tell you to do stuff?”

Ben thought a minute. “He tells all of us to do stuff, Tony. Even you.”

Tony looked at him like Ben was crazy.

“First, he tells you how to behave and relate to people in his word, in the Bible.”

Ben offered a grimace.

“Sometimes, the Bible even gives you specific instruction. Take for example, one day your mom asks if you’re ever going to get a haircut. And the next day someone taps you on the shoulder, and when you turn around they say, ‘Sorry, I thought you were a girl.’ Now the very next day the wind blows your hair in your face and you don’t see a hole and step right in it. And then, that evening when you read your Bible, you’re reading along, you know, just wanting to get to the end of the chapter so you can go to sleep and all of a sudden, the only thing that you can see are the words Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man has long hair, it is a shame unto him?

“Now, I’m not debating the scripture, I’m just saying that when you see scripture that dances right off the page and it lands in your heart, God might be talking to you, especially after he might be talking through people, too.

“And it could be about anything. Maybe you’re reading away and you see the part about not eating pork. Now we know, that it’s good to eat pork, but that scripture just screams at you to pay it strict attention. You just can’t get it off your mind. And then, the next day when we stop preaching and I offer you a pork sandwich …”

“I say ‘no way’,” Tony interrupted. “And I don’t let you eat it either!”

Ben smiled, winking at Tony.

“So, is that how God talks to you?” Tony asked.

“Sometimes. Sometimes through other people. Sometimes from the Bible, and sometimes in prayer. You know, Tony, praying is talking with God. Not just talking to him, but with him. And that means listening for his voice.”

“He talks to you out loud?”

He can, but usually it’s a sense, a strong impression. Once, though, a long time ago, I was in a town in Colorado. I was walking the street looking for someone I could help. I felt the strongest urge that I could help someone.”

“Like pull ‘em out of a well?” Tony interjected.

Ben smiled. “Something like that. Well, from where, I couldn’t tell, but I heard the purest voice I’d ever heard. Never anything like it before.”

“Wha’d it say?” Tony spat, his eyes wide opened.

“Look up!”

“That’s it?”

“Yup. Look up.” Continuing before Tony could ask, Ben said, “So I looked up. And right to my right was a staircase to the top floor of a … hotel. And on the landing was a girl not a lot older than you that I could help.”

“Were you scared? What’d you do?”

“No, but I looked all around to see who it could be. But yes, God can talk to you out loud, just like he did Samuel. Do you know that story?”

“That the one where Samuel thinks his priest, or whatever, was calling him at night?”

“That’s the one.”

“Did God call you?” Tony asked.

Ben allowed a pause before answering. “Yes, he did, Tony. He sure did. Not like he did Samuel. But he did.”

+++

Angelo met Ben one morning, waiting for him outside as Ben was about to start out, unsure where the day would lead him. He was about to learn.

Seeing Angelo’s face, Ben looked over to Tony’s house in time to catch the boy’s attention. “Help your mother today, Tony. No work today.”

Tony looked dejected, but returned to his house, nonetheless.

“What can I do for you, Angelo? You don’t have to work today, a Thursday?”

“No, Ben I have the day off. I’m supposed to go get a new uniform. And a suit I can work in.” He looked at Ben through his eye brows.

Ben tucked his head to return the favor.

“They’re making me a lieutenant.”

Ben raised up, his eyes opening wide. “After these few months, weeks?”

“Yeah. Me too. I had the same reaction. Then I heard what was behind it. Diamond Jim. You heard of Diamond Jim? Colosimo? No? Well, we knew each other, a little.  Back when I was La Lama. Anyway, Diamond Jim is a wheel in The Syndicate.”

“The Syndicate?” Ben asked.

“The gang, the mob. They call themselves The Syndicate. Like they’re legit.”

“And you heard that this Diamond Jim of the mob is having you promoted?”

“And I promise, it ain’t ‘cause they think I’m a good lawman.” Angelo kicked the dirt.

“Let’s walk,” Ben suggested as he started out. “You drink coffee?”

“Just started. Everybody does at my station. Tastes like hot mud, but if you put enough cream and sugar in it …”

“Let’s go to Ward’s.”

“There’s a soda fountain on La Salle. It’s by the tailor shop I’m supposed to go to.”

Ben nodded, changing direction. “That’ll give me time to pray,” Ben said.

They walked in silence and after a few blocks Ben spoke. “So, you’re concerned that Diamond Jim is going to expect you to be his man?”

Angelo didn’t respond to the obvious.

“And you don’t know what you’ll do.”

Again, Angelo remained quiet.

“He’s gonna want to test you. And soon.” Ben said. “Tell me a little about him.”

“He’s a big man. I could cut him, but he won’t fight fair.”

“That’s not what I mean.”

“Bordellos, mostly. ‘Bout a hunnerd of ‘em, what I hear. Along with other stuff.”

Ben nodded.

“They ever get raided by the police?”

Angelo nodded. “Most likely.”

“He’ll want to know which is next. Tell me Angelo, would anyone get hurt if you tipped him off?”

“Embarrassed, prolly. But not hurt.”

Ben nodded.

“But then he’d think he owns me,” Angelo complained.

“If you don’t cooperate, he’ll think you are the enemy. You won’t live a week,” Ben predicted. “And maybe someone around you. Maybe fire your family’s home.”

Angelo snapped his head to Ben. He was only a boy during the great Chicago fire, but the trauma would live forever.

“One thing, Angelo. Trust no one. There is no one on the force that you can be certain of, no matter what they may tell you. Someone might sound like they hate the Syndicate, as you call them, but only be testing your mettle.

“You could quit the force, Angelo.” Ben stopped walking to turn a look at Angelo full on.

“They would still think I was the enemy,” Angelo replied. “And maybe take insult of me not accepting this honor. Or worse, think me a coward. They would kill me.”

Ben began walking again, walking and praying. At the corner of La Salle, Ben asked Angelo what he wanted to do.

“I want what Jesus wants. What does he want me to do? That’s why I came to you.” Angelo’s eyes were pleading.

“Angelo, what I do, is one day at a time. One step at a time. I try very hard not to get ahead of my calling. You get fitted for your suit. I don’t think hot mud would sit very well on your stomach just now, so I’ll go back and spend the day praying for you.”

Angelo nodded his gratitude.





Ben Persons: a man following God's call
Tony: a twelve-year-old boy, Ben's helper
Angelo: La Lama, The Blade, a local tough guy, gang leader. Ben converted and convinced to become a policeman
Diamond Jim: Vincenzo Colosimo, Chicago precursor to Al Capone's Chicago Outfit

1 Cor. 11:14 (long hair)
Lev. 11:7b ... and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.
Acts 10:9-15 (call nothing God has made unclean)
1 Sam. 3 (God speaks to Samuel)

*I played with the dates for some of the characters, but not by much.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.