Romance Fiction posted July 2, 2023 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seth and Emma get closer.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 13 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 13 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The mayor grinned. "That would work." He faced Seth. "I want police presence and interaction. The children need to see them as friends."

"I agree."

Emma smiled. "Maybe you could read a story."

Seth's eyebrows rose. "Don't push your luck."

Mayor Castle chuckled. "Seth, I have a feeling you'll be reading a story."

Seth shook his head, as Carl added, "He's beginning to learn how hard it is to say no to Emma."

Chuckling, the mayor said, "That's right, you're new to town." He grinned. "I've heard a rumor you've also met Ms. Sadie."

Standing, Seth said, "I need to get back to work. Ms. Winters, we'll walk you to the shop."

After goodbyes were said, Mayor Castle added, "Seth, seriously you need to do something about Ms. Barton."

"Sir, I plan to."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 B

When Seth walked out of the Police Station's door to head home, he noticed Emma's car in the parking lot. What now? He stood at the bakery/bookstore door and watched before he entered.

A young man sat at a table, attempting to hug Emma while she poured his coffee. "Sir, stop! Don't touch me. I'm pouring hot coffee. I don't want to spill it on you."

His words slurred, "Come, weet ting, jus a lit hug."

Emma moved away. "When you're ready for coffee, I'll return."

As she turned to leave, he grabbed her rear-end.

Seth stepped in. "She said not to touch her. You could be arrested."

He stood and staggered. "Wat? A lit hug cat be a cime."

"To start with, public intoxication, then we can move to sexual harassment." Seth used handcuffs and then his walkie-talkie. "Carl, there's an incident at the bakery."

"On my way, Chief."

When Carl arrived, Seth said, "Ms. Winters, he'll spend the night in lock-up. Are you pressing charges?"

After exhaling, she said, "I should. He's an octopus. Maybe after a night in jail he'll learn his lesson." She shook her head. "No."

Nodding, Seth said, "Take him away." After Carl led the man from the building, Seth continued, "Your shift ended an hour ago, why are you still here?"

"Since I spent so long with the mayor, I needed more hours. I told Dad to go home, and I'd close."

Seth found a chair. "I'm staying until you close."

"Thank you, but you don't need to."

Glancing towards the door, Seth sighed. "Wanna bet."

As time passed, the crowd slowed so Emma sat at Seth's table. "You're going above and beyond keeping the citizens safe. You don't need to be here."

"Maybe I'm not here as the police chief." His eyes met hers. "Maybe I'm here as your landlord. Good tenants are hard to find."

"You're a conscientious landlord, but still, this is going above and beyond." She adjusted her long braid.

"How about you attract trouble?" He swallowed.

"Okay." She studied the napkin she had refolded. "Since you're here, why don't I put in a dinner order?"

"Only if you'll eat with me?"

She scanned the dining area. "If you want, I can. After that couple leaves, I'm free.

"Sounds good."

Emma brushed loose hairs behind her ear as she stood. "Great. You're going to be my guinea pig. I have a new sandwich I want to try. If you like it, we'll try it on the menu."

After Emma locked the front door, Seth followed her towards the kitchen. "I'd better supervise. What does this sandwich have in it?"

"Wild salmon, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, and chipotle aioli on a toasted herb focaccia."

"It definitely needs supervision."

When they entered the kitchen, Ray grinned. "Is the dining room closed?"

"I locked the front door before coming back." Emma took the marinated salmon from the refrigerator. "I found a guinea pig for a new sandwich."

Seth's eyebrows rose. "I feel this endeavor needs supervision." As Ray dried a large pan, Seth said, "When you finish, I'll make sure Emma gets home safely. You don't need to wait unless you're also volunteering."

"I've sampled many of Emma's experiments through the years. They've all been good. Of course, I'll volunteer."

A discussion quickly began on how long to cook the salmon and whether it should be hot or cold on the sandwich. It was agreed to try it both ways. Different amounts of guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, and chipotle aioli were also tried until they agreed on the correct amount.

As they finished eating and decided the sandwich should be added to the menu, Seth answered his ringing phone. He hung up and said, "Ray, I'm glad you stayed. There's a bar fight. I need to leave."

"Don't worry, Chief. I'll make sure your gal gets safely home."

Seth glanced over his shoulder. "She's not, never mind. Come on Ace, we're needed."

Emma watched them leave. Be safe.

Ray came up and put his arm around her shoulders. "Emma, you know he's one of the good guys, don't you?"

"Maybe."

*****
When Seth drove down the lane to his house, he grinned when he saw Emma's lights on. She made it home. He went inside, changed, and then watched out the back window. "Ace, I think you need to take the fur ball outside." Ace wagged his tail and went to the door.

*****
Emma answered the door. "I didn't expect to see you tonight." She stepped aside so Seth and Ace could enter.

"Ace missed the fur ball and wanted to make sure she behaved on her nightly trip outside."

She tilted her head. "I see."

"Plus, I wanted to make sure you got home safely."

"You didn't trust Ray?"

"I did, but..." Seth hesitated and then pointed to her guitar. "Practicing?"

"Just playing around." She sat on the couch and continued to softly play a few riffs. "Have a seat. It's a little early for Molly's last time out." After he sat, she asked, "Do you think the salmon sandwich will do well on the menu?"

"I liked it. I'm not sure how many people like salmon."

"Good point. Maybe we should start it as a weekly special. Maybe only on Fridays?"

"Good idea."

Avoiding eye contact, Emma asked, "Are you comfortable with the outcome from the meeting with Mayor Castle? We haven't discussed it."

"You get to keep your reading program and the kids will be safe. It's a win-win situation."

"Thank you. I'm betting Linda and Peggy aren't happy."

"I doubt Ms. Holton has an opinion. Ms. Barton won't be happy. She'll be in my office tomorrow morning complaining loudly."

"I hope not. I honestly haven't done anything to her."

"That situation's ridiculous. I need to solve it."

"Good luck."

Both heads turned as Molly went to the front door and barked.

Seth let the dogs out. "Ace, time for you to do your thing." He walked to the backdoor and studied the outside. "I'm hoping we can finish the dog porch this weekend."

"I'll miss you and Ace coming down every evening. Molly will miss her friend."

His eyes met hers. "Our visits will continue. I can't imagine they won't."

She set the guitar down. "Good."

After Ace herded Molly inside, Seth said, "I'll see you in the morning. If you need anything, you know how to contact me. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." She watched Ace and Seth walk up the lane to his house.

*****
At home Seth called Jake. "That Crown Vic's on the road again. He leaves when he sees me. I don't have a good feeling about this. Any suggestions?"


I hope all of you have a safe and happy July 4th.

Thank you Youtube for a video of a man harassing a waitress. It does happen. This is long, a little over 8 minutes, but I feel it's worth the time.

Male patron harasses his waitress at a diner " What Would You Do? " WWYD




*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton



Recognized

#6
July
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for an image of a waitress.

Some reviewers have asked why I add the number of days Seth and Emma have known each other. I do it because I post only once a week and sometimes like Chapter 13 A&B are the same day and it seems they've known each other a lot longer. In the manuscript, which is completed, the chapters aren't separated and it's much easier to keep track of the time in their relationship.

This post is the second part of Chapter 13. This post is a little under 1100 words long. I'm struggling writing the drunken slurs.
Happy for any suggestions. As usual I made changes as I posted. I hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.