General Fiction posted July 1, 2023 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
In dumpster diving, Sammy finds a mysterious bag

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part 3

The Mysterious Bag

by Liz O'Neill



Background
Bea is contemplating food for Sammy her new cat she got from her old friend Billie bear

Previously:

Bea is contemplating food for Sammy her new cat she got from her old friend Billie bear

She reflects upon her friends who have gone to the bridge of rainbows:

Cast of characters

Bea –mom bear to puppies & Scruffles

Sweet Puppy– from Part 1 invited by Bea to live in cave

Scruffles–  from Part 1 invited by Bea to live in cave (RIP)

Doolie –mom bear to puppies from Part 2

Benny–miniature sheep dog  from Part 2  (RIP)

Annie–Brussels Griffon from Part 2

Maddie–3-legged Brussels Griffon from Part 2

Zoe– Tibetan Terrier from Part 2

Billie bear--Bea's friend from years ago who was in a group with her to learn to talk to the maker

Jazzy--Billie bear's puppy who was getting beat up by Sammy the cat

Sammy--a cat who was living with Jazzy & Billie bear after being found under a picnic table

Willow–counseling tree (metaphor for people who help children)

*******

Bea moved from doing her pretend exercise to her brain exercise and finally to her talk to the maker of forsaken kitties. She turned to Billie bear and told her she would joyfully welcome Sammy as a new family member.

 Billie bear gave a grateful bear hug, relieved she and Jazzy could get back to their calm routine. When Jazzy realized what was happening, he yipped and danced for joy. It was a dance of release, of being free from threat of harm or attack. 

Seeing Jazzy doing a celebrative romp, reminded her she had not danced unless she saw a rainbow. Her dear friends were signalling her from the bridge of rainbows that everyone had been reunited.

She was happy for them, however, it was not time to join them, there was still more to her journey. And it lightened her burden to know she would no longer stroll alone.  She smiled to know Sammy would be beside her.

Hearing of Sammy’s finicky appetite similar to Zoe’s, alerted Bea’s full awareness she needed to hunt for something special for Sammy, and fast. She brought him along on an escapade to the dumpsters where he could pick out his “be good to himself” treat. 

She needed to find a way to give him enough motivation to agree to go along with her. Whatever it was, it worked. Willow had cautioned her if she disliked the one solution she had, it was time to look for another one, and another until she found one that did work. 

Since all of the sled dogs were at the bridge of rainbows, Bea assumed the honorary role of a sled dog. What a strange sight that must have been, a bear pulling a sled and a raccoon kitty in tow. 

No one was afforded the opportunity to witness the spectacle because cautious Bea planned these trips just before the morning mist formed. Although bears, cats, and dog have adequate night vision, this at times became problematic.

She still set up piles of stones, so they would never lose their way. This was the system she learned ancient stone pilers had created. Since she had used their technique, she never went the wrong way again. She wanted to tell Sammy of the wet failed attempt. But stopped. 

He wasn’t listening and probably didn’t care. He was not going to be interested in her old memories. He was very young. It would take time. With Billie bear warning her to be cautious, it would be necessary to practice the on-guard exercise as her mom had taught her.

The new mom was sad to realize she and Sammy would have to make their own adventures to hold in their hearts to remember.  This was the hard part of learning to begin again. 

Sometimes she wanted to curl up in a ball. She wished she could walk through an old remembered darkened strolling path and when she came out into a bright clearing, she’d be back with Doolie and her crew along with Scruffles and Sweet Puppy. 

Accompanied by his new mom, Sammy, the champion jumping and diving kitty, disappeared into the third dumpster After rustling around inside it, he jumped up, and sat upon the edge with a curious bag of something. 

It didn’t look like anything he might be interested in. As Bea neared the mystery bag, she had the widest bear grin on her muzzle showing many whites, soon to be golden coated teeth.

That sweet boy, later to be nicknamed such, had found a bag of many twig-sized tubes, filled with honey. His next vault through the air was a rewarding one for him. As he landed on the dumpster cover lid, he spotted the treasured bag of goodies. 

Someone had left it outside of the dumpster, so all he had to do was push it off, as kitties are wont to do. It landed hitting its target, the middle of the sled. Unsure when they’d return, the resourceful bear coaxed Sammy onward, hoping he’d find more good stuff for each of them.

Bea was happy for the weightiness of the sled, filled with two almost full torn bags, and three cracked jars nearly brimming with honey. Sammy was justifiably proud and already feeling better about himself. Bea could tell this by his tone and his light-stepping dance.

She wouldn’t bother tell him, but Bea couldn’t help remembering how she’d gotten the sled and what led up to it. She could still feel the tomatoes and bananas squishing between her toes, claws and paws. 

Doolie had directed them to the first dumpster. Counting as her mom had taught her, there were three dumpsters. Impulsively choosing what she thought was the first, turned out to be the third.

The first being the third and the third being the first, did not bode well for Bea. Stepping down into the darkness of the dumpster her feet met some mealy mushy stuff. In an effort at flight, she needed Scruffles to heft her high enough to be able to grab onto the lip of the trapping box.


 




We are winding down in our story and series. We are coming to the present moment for me. Only a little left to write about for 4th+ graders or 9+ year olds.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.