Biographical Non-Fiction posted June 3, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Adventures in story writing

Super Pig to the Rescue

by Roxanna Andrews


I have written five children's books, the last about 12 years ago. They are about a little pig who thinks she is a Super Hero. She lives on Holly Hock Farm and the farmer's grandson reads super hero comics to her. She decides a Super Hero would be a very good thing to be.

She has no super powers; she just thinks she does. But then again, maybe she does. Her super powers are caring about others and wanting to help those in need. They were very fun to write.

I've made no money from my books; they are all self-published and they cost me more money than I've made. I had a friend do all my artwork, which is great, and I paid him well. He has made more from the books than I have. But I don't really mind. Of course, it would be wonderful to sell thousands and thousands of copies and get rich. But I learned there are other things I liked about it more than the money I didn't make.

When I wrote the first stories, I sent them to a friend who had a 6-year-old and asked her to read them to him to see what he thought. I got a phone call about three weeks later and it started with, "I am so sick of Super Pig." Her son made her read them so many times, she couldn't stand it anymore. Bad news for her, great news for me. I published.

My first book had twelve different stories and each had a full-page color illustration, black and white drawings throughout and was in hardcover. That was twelve, full page color illustrations plus the cover and an inside page. The book cost me $500.00 to publish, a real bargain.

The stories where usually set on the farm, but sometimes in the Piney Woods which was next to the farm. Pinky, aka Super Pig, saved farm animals as well as woodland creatures. Most of the animals were named for my friends, their kids, and my family members.

I didn't tell my family about the book, I just mailed them copies when it was published. I got three phone calls in one evening from my very surprised brothers and sister when they received the book in the mail.

I couldn't talk to them, I had caught a bug and lost my voice, but I lived with my older sister who knew about the book. Connie talked to them for me. They were so amazed and excited. They just couldn't believe I had written a book! I couldn't either. It was really fun to surprise them like that.

I never expected to get rich from the sales, which is a good thing, but as I mentioned before, I found something much better, to me anyway, fans, tiny fans who loved Super Pig.

One of my bosses at work bought a book for himself and his grandson who was hundreds of miles away. He called him once a week and they read the stories together over the phone. I loved hearing that.

I had two teachers, that I know of, read it to their class, one near-by and one in California. The one in my city asked me to come to the school and do an assembly featuring Super Pig. I had a stuffed pig that I put a mask and cape on. Its mouth moved and it sang "My Girl". I don't know why it sang that song, but it was a hit.

The teacher in California had the kids all write me a letter and draw pictures of Super Pig. It was so sweet. I still have them, of course.

A volunteer at my job who asked to buy a book. She had a granddaughter she wanted it for and she was to visit the next week. She brought her granddaughter into work one day and introduced me as the lady who wrote Super Pig. She was so excited. (I was rather surprised by her excitement). Alison was about seven or eight and she stuck to my side all day, like glue. She wanted to talk about the book all the time.

Alison sat at my desk with me and I'd give her things to do. Grandma was very worried she was bothering me but she was so cute and really was a help. I didn't mind at all. She came in several days and always sat at my desk. When her parents came to take her home, she begged to come to my office and tell me good bye, again. She wanted one more hug.

One of the writers here on FanStory told her granddaughter about my stories, so she read the ones I posted on the site. I always posted them to get feedback before publishing. Well, the granddaughter asked if she could write the reviews for them. Really sweet. She was good at reviewing as well. I wrote a story just for her with a character named after her. That was a hit, of course. I sent her a book.

Unfortunatly the next book cost about three times more than the first and I could only afford eight stories, and they went up from there. I did get a two-for-the-price-of-one special once, so that helped. My younger sister came into some money and paid for the last book I did. Very generous of her; it was almost $3000.00 including the books I ordered.

Since they didn't sell like gangbusters, I had about a hundred just sitting in my trunk. A friend's husband worked with the homeless and I asked if he thought the families with kids would like one. He said yes, so they went for a very good cause. I didn't mind at all.

I had a book signing at work and dressed like Super Pig in a mask and cape a co-worker made for me. I was quite a sight. When the first book got published my boss had ordered pig noses for everyone, so the day of my book signing I walked into my office and they all had them on. So funny! I wore my pig nose at the book signing.

I get asked at least once a week at my job if I am writing any more Super Pig books, or "How is Super Pig?" I work at a fun place.

I love all my books and despite the fact that they didn't make me rich, I have no regrets about publishing. It was a great experience and really rewarding in so many ways.



Share Your Story contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.