General Fiction posted May 11, 2023 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A bright light hovers above Bea and her new family

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part 3

The Bird With the Guiding Light

by Liz O'Neill



Background
A glowing light has been guiding Bea and her newly released family of formerly captive dogs.

Previously:

A glowing light has been guiding Bea and her new family of released formerly captive dogs.

“Becoming more aware of things around her, she noticed the glowing light was still there! “

********

This is not a light from her imagination nor a result from doing her talk to the maker. Her mom had taught her about those situations, when she did her brain exercise. This is real and it is coming from above. Strangely, there is no sound accompanying it.

The protective mom of many, needed to practice her investigation exercise to figure out what was emitting that light. The unusual fact about this brightness emanating from above the tree tops was its eerie silence. No humans could be heard yelling or discussing plans to capture or hurt the animals. 

The source did not seem to be a blinding search light, looking for Bea and her new buddies, the escaped puppies. The guiding light remained long enough for Bea to step cautiously into the opposite path they were heading. She was receiving a strong message to follow. For some reason, something wanted the skeptical bear to trust it. 

Resuming her steps away from the snoring and mewling of the traumatized puppies, she was able to hear and see a brook. She hoped her new charges were like her dear Sweet Puppy who relished the sharp taste of river fish. That was all there would be for the present. Even if it might not have been their favorite, they were probably hungry enough to want to gobble up anything swimming. 

The mysterious light hovering like a humming bird that could stay in one place and not crash to the ground, remained long enough for Bea to roust everyone and guide them to the river. She explained they would be safe and fed if they wanted to grab some fish swimming among the rocks.

This happiness and relief reminded her of the music the pebbles made as they gently or not so gently tapped each other, singing their stories. The ability to see her surroundings helped the proud mom bear to notice what fun everyone was having. 

It made her think of the first time she saw Sweet Puppy having fun. She figured this was the first time some of those sad puppies had ever had that much time to play.

In addition to the bright bird guiding her to the river, it revealed an easy path for them to follow. As the light began to move more toward the path, the curious bear wondered if the giant bird was going to lead them the whole way.

She did her talk to the maker of giant silent birds with lights. She needed to know if she should trust it. Hearing the reassuring humming of the kind bees that made her “be good to herself treat, told her she could safely follow the huge bird.

The bird led them to a place they could be safe, and it wasn’t a wooden building like the one where the humans with harmful black sticks hurt her cousins. 

The final location the bird directed them toward was to a roomy cave situated in the side of a grassy hill, with tiny rivulets of fresh water trickling down from a mountain.

Bea was conflicted when she did her notice exercise. There were enough spacious chambers for everyone to comfortably reside. Possibly no one would want to continue their trek. She’d be alone again.

Taking her mind off herself, Bea was wondering where the bird would go, since they had been delivered to a secure destination. All would be able to remain hidden from any dangerous humans.

Just as the appreciative wee bear was hoping to be able to thank the bird, it began to move, ever higher, showing colors of the garden of flowers her mom had pointed out to her as a child. 

The bird of many flower-colored blinking lights rose until it was a tiny speck. Bea’s eyes grew as large as the light above as it flew faster than any bird she had ever known of. Then it was gone. 

A bit dazed, she turned around toward their new temporary home. Spidie would consider that an ideal spot to be the lookout for everyone. Both she and Snakely had been exceptionally quiet for some time.  

The web making genius announced she would consider it an honor to be the lookout for such a large group. She declared with pride to Bea and Snakely what a respectable responsibility it would be. It occurred to Bea neither Snakely nor Spidie ate fish. 

Snakely reported she and Spidie had become even closer. She proudly announced the two of them had again worked together as a team, for a different purpose, this time. Bea soon found out why. 

Spidie hopped around, becoming increasingly animated when Snakely complimented Spidie for building a perfect web to capture a large number of delicious juicy bugs. Bea was unaware Spidie was sharing her exquisite catch with Snakely. 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

 




This autobiographical allegory deviates from my actual experiences, however it reflects my fight against cruelty to animals. As previously stated, this has an independent reading level of gr. 4+, age 9+. Your inner child can enjoy it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.