General Fiction posted May 4, 2023 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Following God one day at a time

A chapter in the book One Man's Calling

One Man's Calling, Ch 9

by Wayne Fowler


In the last part Ben took Ivan to Lake City, after making amends with the Indians that Ivan had wronged. Ben arranged for Ivan to be transported east to a doctor, and then on east to his Illinois home. Ben is in Lake City looking to follow God’s leading.

“Son, we’ll ride on down to Creede. See the livery man, named Tolsen.”

“Ralph Tolsen?” Ben asked excitedly.

“Yeah, that’s him. Got a huge operation. Trades in horses, no mules. Heard he just bought the stables recently.”

The Lake City plan was that Ben would harness-train them for room and board and every eighth sold would be his. Fair, or not, Ben was satisfied with the deal with the Lake City stable owner.

Once shed of Ivan, Ben set about seeking work, no sense of travel in him. The livery stable was a second one in Lake City, one nearer the lake. The corrals completely devoid of stock made him curious enough to ask.

“Would’ve thought business would be teeming,” Ben said to the proprietor, a man of about forty years. Ben found him in a tool shed putting together harness leather and hardware. “Where’s the stock?”

“Gonna be,” he replied about the business. “Say, ain’t you Ben Persons?”

Ben nodded.

“Heard about you. Heard a lot, actually. Mostly from my wife. You might remember her. Tex Morgan did not elaborate about the former saloon worker, Mattie, that Ben had rescued.

“Heard you was honest, a good man with people and with stock. Heard about you from lotsa folk,” he added. “You lookin’ for work?”

Ben shook his hand, making formal acquaintance and accepting the quasi-partnership.

“Yup, this’ll be a hub for livestock that ain’t donkey or burro bred soon enough. And ranchers don’t break horseflesh for anything but the saddle. We’ll buy all the unbroken, or half-broken stock we can get.”

+++

Once back in Creede, Livvy leaped into his arms, full-body hugging him. “Oh, Ben. I’ve prayed to see you again!”

As had Ben, though his singleness of purpose hadn’t changed. “Honey …”

“Oh, I know. You aren’t going to marry anybody. But I wanted you to approve of my husband-to-be. I’ve even put off setting the date, hoping you could meet him. Allowing you approve, of course.” Livvy giggled with excitement.

“Come on. You can talk to Pa later. Come see Ma. She’ll bust her gut, seeing you!”

She did.

“I can’t wait for you to meet William, William Ferlonson,” Livvy exclaimed. “He’s a surveyor. He mostly works for the gover’ment, but takes jobs from everybody. He’s laying out Buford’s farm for streets and lots on the north end of town this whole week. You might have seen him. He’ll be here for supper. I can’t wait for you to meet him. He was in the Army. He worked out some of the reservations in Oklahoma. You’ll like him. He has your eyes. That’s what first drew me, thinking about you. He’s a lot like you, Ben, kind, and strong.” Livvy finally slowed her chatter.

Finding an opening, Ben began to ask his question, interrupted by Livvy.

“Yes. That’s the best part. He likes me. We talk, and laugh. Oh, I just know you’ll approve.” Livvy quieted as if a flame totally doused with cold water. “But if you don’t …”

Livvy’s mother took the opportunity to intervene. “Show him about, Dear. I can see to supper.” Livvy’s mother had no reservations concerning Livvy and her William, perfectly accepting Ben’s life choices. Though she would have cherished Ben as son-in-law, she understood. Ben was not then, nor was he now, a man to marry anyone. He was a man set apart. She now knew in her heart.

+++

Ben did, indeed, approve of Livvy’s William, a man of small stature, but large personality.

After a huge breakfast that Livvy and her mother began long before dawn, William had the opportunity to speak with Ben alone, Livvy’s mother seeing to it.

“I thought you were a god,” William said. “The way Livvy spoke of you.”

Raising his hand, indicating he wasn’t through, he continued, “Oh, I knew you weren’t, and I knew I couldn’t compete. So, I just decided to be myself and see where it got me. Ben, I give you my word …” He spoke to Ben, who was younger than himself, as if he were an elder.  “… That I’ll cherish her. Show her honor and respect. I’ll do my best to love her as much as you do.

“Yeah, it shows. She knows it, we all know it. And we all know that you have work to do. You’re not God, but you do God’s work. You’re God’s man. And I want you to know that you’re welcome in our home anytime, anytime at all.”

Ben’s blue eyes glistened. He spent the entire evening peeling, first potatoes, and then apples with his belt knife, listening to Livvy carry on about her man. William bore out the truth of her words.

+++

Demone Lovelace sat at a table in the saloon called The Palace. Serving as an enforcer, his chief job was to ensure customer payment, especially for the company of one of the three ladies. He refused admission to any he deemed unprofitable. His senses awoke in an instant. He reflexively reached for his gun, glancing erratically about the nearly empty room much as a hen might sense a king snake in the house. Pistol in hand, he finally inched his way to the door, and then outside. Scanning the street, his gaze settled on a man astride a red gelding just then leaving town. Had his horse been available, he would have ridden the threat to his existence down and shot him stone cold dead for no other reason than a sense of self-preservation.





Ben Persons: a young man following after God
Ralph Tolsen: A wainright, father of Livvy, friend of Ben
Ivan: injured man Ben brought off the mountain
Tex Morgan: Lake City livery owner, Ben's new employer
William Ferlonson: Livvy's husband-to-be
Demone Lovelace: Ben's unknown nemesis
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.