Humor Poetry posted April 13, 2023 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prologue to The Divine Nonsense of Jim Wile

A chapter in the book The Divine Nonsense of Jim Wile

The Divine Nonsense of Jim Wile

by Jim Wile

 
Prologue
 
Until fairly recently, I’ve been what I would call a reluctant poet for much of my life, at least since my 30s, when I decided to try my hand at poetry. Well, that’s not strictly true. My first attempt at poetry came when I was either 8 or 9 years old, and my teacher assigned us a poem to write. I still remember it today. It was called “Baseball,” and it goes like this:
 
 
                           Baseball
                                  By Jimmy Wile
 
    Baseball’s a game that’s lots of fun.
    You hit the ball, and then you run.
    You catch the ball, and then you throw,
    So the man on base cannot go.
 
    It starts with nine men who make a team:
    First, second, third base, and a man in between,
    A pitcher, a catcher, three fielders also,
    And they all put on a very fine show.
 
    That’s all there is; there’s nothing more to say.
    I hope you’ve learned how to play baseball today.
    If you’re not satisfied, and you want to know more,
    Buy “The Little League Rule Book” at your favorite sports store.
 
 
Not bad, huh? The meter’s not so great, but it rhymes well.
 
I may have written one for a high school English class, but I don’t remember it. I didn’t write another until age 30, when I was inspired to write one on my baby daughter’s first birthday. The next one came in like fashion to commemorate the first birthday of my son. These rhymed well, like “Baseball,” but the meter was quite unpolished.
 
The first, what I would call good poem, was written on the occasion of my father’s 70th birthday and was called “Have Another Pork Chop, Paul.” That will be the first poem in this collection. I consider that one to be the beginning of my poetry-writing journey. It was a sporadic journey, however, and most of my poems, with few exceptions, were to commemorate special occasions—birthdays, graduations, retirements, etc. Poetry did not come too easily to me, and, although I was generally pleased with the results, it was an arduous task for me to write a poem, and I often needed to be begged to do it.
 
But then came FanStory, which I originally joined in November 2022 to share mainly prose—stories and essays—but eventually began submitting poetry as well. The more I began writing poems, the easier they became to write, and, with the exception of “Have Another Pork Chop, Paul,” all of the poems in this collection were written since I joined FanStory. It’s to the point that poetry is as much or more fun for me to write than prose, and I keep a little notebook to jot down poem ideas when they strike me.
 
My poems are almost exclusively humor poems, and they rhyme too. Although I respect free verse poems, I still prefer poems that rhyme and have good meter. Where do my poem ideas come from? Beats me. Many just pop into my head for no apparent reason. (A lot of nonsense goes on in there!) Some are also suggested to me by my wife, Elise, who is both my biggest fan and my biggest critic.
 
Enough of this; let’s move along to the poetry.
 
 
 
Table of Contents

 
    Have Another Pork Chop, Paul
    Too Many Characters
    The Tuba and the Piccolo
    What Real Poets Know
    Bad Guy
    Wile on the Green
    Don’t Laugh
    Tough Questions
    My Earlobes
    The Ballad of Old Blue
    Garbage Disposal No-Nos
    True Love
    Pluto
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jim Wile All rights reserved.
Jim Wile has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.