General Poetry posted March 15, 2023 Chapters:  ...57 58 -59- 60... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
an essay

A chapter in the book Random Rhyme and Petty Prose

Integrity JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

by Bill Schott

Leadership Traits:
Justice, Judgement, Dependability, Initiative, Decisiveness, Tact (previously addressed), Integrity, Endurance, Bearing, Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, and Enthusiasm.

Integrity speaks to a person's character, honesty, and moral principles.
 
Simply put, people want to know that your "Yes" is yes and your "No" is no. 
 
As part of our character, we can project forthrightness that doesn't suffer fools. People will know that what we promise, we deliver, no matter what.
 
Integrity is a precious commodity that is so easy to lose, but so very difficult to get back, in the eyes of your peers.  Once what you say cannot be taken on its face, then distrust has a seat at the table.
 
We learn this as children through the simple tale of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". Once he was found to be a liar, he was never trusted, even when he told the truth.
 
You remember the girl who cheated off your paper in class? She became an honors graduate. Remember the guy who punched holes in his rifle qualification target to rise from unqualified to marksman? How about your local used car salesman? All of these examples of lack of integrity stick in our minds. We are repulsed by it. 
 
Recent events seem to have removed integrity from the calculus of being fit for public office. This is unfortunate, since the position that honesty held in success has been supplanted with deception for the reason that the good guys finish last.
 
Like any good con man, the liar will "die with the lie", never allowing that it was that.  It has been made easier when the liar is supported and promoted by those who need a liar to succeed.
 
Well, that went off the rails quickly. Let's get back to the generic application of the trait of integrity.
 
"Do as I say, not as I do" is another old chestnut that still proves a point today. Leaders should not expect their subordinates to keep standards the leader does not. 
 
Basically, people want to know that what they see is what they get.
 
 
 
 
 




Image is from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.