General Poetry posted March 14, 2023 Chapters:  ...55 56 -57- 58... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
an essay

A chapter in the book Random Rhyme and Petty Prose

Decisiveness JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

by Bill Schott


Leadership Traits:
Justice, Judgement, Dependability, Initiative (previously addressed), Decisiveness, Tact, Integrity, Endurance, Bearing, Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, and Enthusiasm.

Decisiveness means that you are able to make good decisions fast. Once facts and consequences are known, or enough can be assumed to qualify action, it is taken.  
 
Decisionmaking is always up for armchair analysis and Monday-morning quarterbacking, but someone will have to make that move. Inaction is not an option. 
 
People do make wrong decisions, of course. However, history tells us that even wrong decisions, made for legimate reasons with available data, are better than doing nothing.
 
Wishy washy people will never be seen as leaders. Making decisions expediently, and being confident in them, allows others to be confident as well.
 
I would say that there are a few items to know in order to be a more decisive leader:
 
1. Knowing your objective?
2. What assets do you have or need to be effective?
3. When does it need to be accomplished?
4. How will you do it?
5. What would failure look like?
 
Sometimes we have to decide important things with limited information. When this happens, which is often, then the leader needs to select a course of action and support it to the fullest. He/she needs to expect support and enthusiasm from everyone.
 
When it's just me, or it's just you, the decisions we make affect only us. When our decisions affect others who are depending on us, we need to be right.
 
Decisions will always be made; some will decide everything that follows:
 
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
 ...Robert Frost
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Quote from Frost's "The Road Not Taken"
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.