General Fiction posted March 12, 2023 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Maddie was in a puppy mill

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part 3

Maddie's Past

by Liz O'Neill



Background
We focus on Maddie's life and how it has worn out her body. Willow teaches Bea how to begin again.

Cast of characters

Bea –mom bear to puppies & Scruffles Part 1&2

Sweet Puppy– from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave

Scruffles–  from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave (RIP)

Doolie –mom bear to puppies from Part 2 (RIP)

Benny–miniature sheep dog  from Part 2  (RIP)

Annie–Brussels Griffon from Part 2 (RIP)

Maddie–3-legged Brussels Griffon from Part 2

Buddy bear--friend of Doolie & Bea who worked with troubled puppies 

Zoe– Tibetan Terrier from Part 2 Like foster kid who gets moved around a lot

         She lived with Doolie & her crew, then Bea & Sweet Puppy, 

         & finally to live with Buddy bear & her puppy Stormy

Stormy- lived with Buddy bear

Willow–counseling tree (metaphor for people who help children) Part 1&2

 

Maddie had an extremely difficult beginning in a building full of cages where heartless humans made her care for baby pups without a rest. She told how one of the caring humans must have reported the abusive setting to someone. 

They soon came to put a stop to the cruelty. The little momma puppies were set free and no longer kept prisoner. When she met Doolie her life changed for the better. She had discovered a wonderful, loving family, where she knew she belonged. 

Because life had been so hard for her, she claimed her body was worn out. Increasingly losing her strength, resting more often was required. Sweet Puppy remarked to her mom how she noticed Maddie was sleeping more and more. 

Bea fears Maddie is going to need assistance to get to the path of goodbyes. A few days later, Maddie announces she knows it is time for her to head out on the path to the bridge of rainbows. 

She looked forward to seeing her crush, Bennie, and her mom, who she missed so much. Both Sweet Puppy and Bea with tears in their eyes offered to walk with her ‘til it was time for her to leave them behind.

They both remembered what occurred when they walked with Scruffles. One minute he was strolling beside them, they turned away, then back. He was no more.

Maddie agreed to let them come along. The same thing happened. They could not have predicted, that when they looked away one particular time, and turned back to talk to her, she’d be gone.

Bea and Sweet Puppy continued to live in the cave Doolie originally set up. Sometimes it felt like the memories of laughter and fun were dancing along the walls. At those moments, she wished to be able to forget the before. 

Next, it was Sweet Puppy’s turn to head for the bridge of rainbows. She was having more difficulty walking as time went on. She, with tear-filled eyes, told Bea it was urgent she left before she could no longer walk. 

Bea assured her of assistance getting to the beginning of the path and she’d walk her as far along the path as necessary.    

With no one to share space with her in the large cave with her, Bea felt like a single leaf she’s seen spinning around on the branch, resisting letting go. 

She resolved there would to be another heartbeat echoing off the walls, in addition to spidies and a field mouse or two. She needed a new idea for this situation. 

Doing her talk to the maker helped her remember to do her brain exercise. She did not feel as wretched. The one who would have fresh ideas was Willow, who told her to be like the water she heard singing. 

She reminded the lost wee bear she herself stated of how much she’d learned from noticing the flow of the water. Bea wanted to practice being like the water as it slid around and over the rocks that would otherwise block it. 

The stream will not let itself get stuck. Even in Timothy’s dam, the water seeped through, over or under the logs. The current moved on to new surroundings for new adventures.  

Willow helped the lonely wee bear figure out what she could do to get beyond moments of loneliness. 

Requesting Bea do her problem-solving exercise and picture what she would do if the honey pots were empty.  She knew she would go ask a friend or go looking for a honey tree. 

Friends were like honey. That caring tree who spoke only the truth told Bea it was time she explored new paths to see what surprises, adventures and friends would reveal themselves.

It is up to Bea to find new friends. Willow was aware it was a great risk for the cautious bear, but she needed to get out strolling again. Bea had forgotten how to enjoy strolling. Sweet Puppy, who was last to go down the path to the bridge of rainbows, had made strolling fun. 

Bea had difficulty following orders as a child, and not much had changed. She found herself, contrary to Willow’s advice, journeying on the worn memory paths that had brought the most frustration and sense of not doing so well.

She revisits the location where, as she, Scruffles, and Sweet Puppy were doing an investigation exercise.  This brought them to a terrible stuck up surprise when they ended up in a group of mature burdock bushes. The green ones would not have been as messy.   

She laughs as she remembers how she, Scruffles, and Sweet Puppy had shamefacedly limped home to rush to the fishing river to wash those light brown sticking balls off their faces, ears, arms, legs and tails.

 




Much of the beginning of this book recalls all of the puppies (any dog, any age) my former partner, Maureen (stage name-Doolie) and I watched go to the Rainbow Bridge, Benny, Annie, and Zoe. We are introducing Buddy bear, a friend of Bea and Doolie. I use advanced vocabulary. Who of us has not had to look up words we were unfamiliar with? This book is aimed at 4-6th grade for independent reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.