Romance Fiction posted March 12, 2023 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma rescues a kite.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 3

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Previous Post:

"No, she would go in and out all day," interrupted Emma. "The problem's not that she goes out, it's what she does while she's there."

"I see. If you'd be willing to help, we could build an outside fence so she wouldn't have the run of the yard."

"I can't afford that. I barely make enough for rent and groceries."

"Your input would be to help with labor."

"Are you sure?"

"It's the easiest way to solve the problem. Let me think about it for a few days and get back to you." Seth set Molly on the floor. "I should get going. Goodnight."

Seth opened the door and saw headlights at the top of the lane. Wonder who that is and what they're doing. He faced Emma. "At night keep the curtains drawn. I'll see you at the bakery." Ace and Seth walked home.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 3

Mid-Monday morning, Seth walked up to the bakery's counter. He scanned the area and then stretched his neck checking the back area, hoping to get a glimpse of Emma. He watched her start to yank a fifty-pound flour bag from the top shelf. The flour bag next to it started to tumble and flour dust covered her.

Keith walked from his office. "Hi, Seth. Ready for your usual coffee?"

"Mornin', Keith. Yes. Things are fairly quiet this morning." Seth continued to watch Emma and shook his head.

Emma stood on her toes holding both bags to keep them from falling. "Dad? Help?"

Smiling Keith turned. "That's my daughter." He handed Seth the large coffee. "I see a disaster in the making. I'd better help. Have a blessed day."

*****
On patrol that afternoon, Seth drove through the city park and parked the police cruiser. What's Ms. Winters doing? He watched Emma help a group of young boys fly a kite.

When it flew, she sat off to the side and ate lunch. Nothing going on here. Before Seth fully backed up, he paused. "She didn't?" His voice rose, "I can't believe she climbed that tree." He spoke into the walkie-talkie attached to his shirt collar, "Leaving the cruiser. Helping Ms. Winters off a City Park shelter roof."

"What?" asked Carl.

"You heard me."

Seth heard Carl chuckle as he headed toward the shelter with Ace by his side. He paused and studied the situation.

Emma stood on the roof with her hands on her hips, attempting to figure out how to get down. Glancing at Seth, Emma pointed. "I got up here from that tree, but it doesn't look like I can get down the same way."

"Ms. Winters, get on your stomach and dangle your legs off the side. I'll catch you."

"Isn't that dangerous?"

Shaking his head, he said, "Climbing up there to begin with was dangerous."

"But..."

"Slide toward me. I'll grab your legs and help you to the ground."

"What if I'm too heavy?"

"I can lift 250 pounds. I doubt you weigh that much." He waited. "Ms. Winters?"

"I'm working up to it."

"You should've spent time working up to climbing up there."

"Maybe, but I had to help the boys get their kite."

"Ready?"

After releasing a deep breath, she rolled onto her stomach and slowly slid off the roof's edge.

"Slide down a few more inches, so I can reach you." After a few more scoots, he touched her ankles. "I have you. A little more and you're down." Once he held her thighs, he steadily guided her until he held her waist and her feet were on the ground. "You're safe."

"Thank you. I got the kite without ripping it."

"I noticed."

With pink cheeks, she studied Ace. "Am I under arrest?"

"I'm not sure. This is a first since I became Police Chief."

"Is there any way we can keep this between us?"

"Ms. Winters, are you bribing a public official?"

"Not really. I didn't offer you anything. I just asked."

Carl's voice was heard, "Chief, is Emma safe?"

Emma frowned. "They already know, don't they?"

"Yes. She asked if she's under arrest."

Carl chuckled. "Maybe a written citation."

Seth reached into his back pocket for his pad and then stopped. "How about a verbal warning?"

Her eyes met his. "I promise I won't climb up there again."

"Even if there's a kitten trapped?"

She closed her eyes and whispered, "Maybe?"

"Ms. Winters, you've had an eventful day, first flour bags and now this." He brushed some flour dust from the right side of her hair. "You missed some flour. Try to stay out of trouble."

"I'll try." Emma watched Seth walk away shaking his head. "Chief Carter, thank you. Do you always shake your head or just around me?"

He didn't turn, but answered, "Around you."

"I was afraid of that."

He continued walking, shaking his head, and chuckling.

As Seth backed from the parking spot, he noticed a car. "That's strange. That car's been parked the entire time. I don't recognize it." He spoke into his walkie-talkie. "Carl, check the license plate of a burgundy Crown Victoria early 1990's Texas plate, JHC 123."

"Roger that."

*****
Late afternoon, Seth entered the bakery/bookstore. He nodded toward Emma as she took a customer's order.

Emma exhaled before she went to the tall table where Seth stood and poured him a cup of coffee. "Hello, what can I get you?"

"This black coffee and a grilled steak and onion sandwich on a Telera roll."

"With the horseradish cream?"

"Yes."

"It'll be right out."

Seth watched her walk to the counter. She doesn't have her usual smile or bright eyes. Why?

He studied her as she waited on other customers.

Refilling his coffee, she said, "The rest of your order will be ready shortly."

"Ms. Winters?" She nodded, so he continued, "You seem uncomfortable."

"Earlier, I made a fool of myself."

"I'm used to seeing interesting situations. It happens."

"I bet not to you."

He tilted his head. "I wouldn't have climbed on the roof without first figuring out how I'd get down."

"I thought so." She turned her head as a bell sounded and said over her shoulder, "Your sandwich's up." She quickly returned and set the plate in front of him. "Please enjoy."

He watched her walk toward a delivery man who entered carrying a medium sized box and handed it to Emma.

As Emma opened it, Seth heard, "Thank you. I never expected them today. This is great."

"You said as soon as possible."

"Thank you, again. I'll start passing them out."

Seth continued watching. What's she up to now?

Emma hung one flyer on the front door and one in the window facing the outside. Then she proceeded to hand them to customers.

She walked by Seth's table without stopping. He asked, "Do I get one?"

"I'm starting a summer reading group for children. I'm guessing you don't have any children. I didn't think you'd be interested."

"I don't have children, but I'm interested in everything that happens around town." He accepted the flyer and read. "It says you're going to read a story and then follow up with an art project."

"That's right. After the art project, I'll hand out a coupon for the kids to get 25% off the book."

Seth scanned the area. "Where are you planning on doing the art project? There's not enough room here."

"I was thinking about the sidewalk. The kids can sit on the ground and use chairs for desks. Before the kids get here, I'll make sure the sidewalk's clean."

"You can't block the sidewalk."

"I think there'll be room. I don't expect that many kids. Pastor Pat said I could use some church folding chairs."

"Sounds like you have everything under control. It begins next Wednesday and lasts until the week before school begins?"

"Yes." Emma continued passing out flyers.

*****
At the end of her shift, Emma headed home, turned onto her lane, and saw Seth washing the police cruiser. She stopped and rolled down the passenger window.

He walked over. "Hello. You need something?"

"I wanted you to know I'm a fully functional adult."

"I know."

"Good. Have a blessed evening." Emma continued toward her home.

*****
Seth finished with the cruiser, went inside, and stared out his back window at Emma's cabin. "Ace, I guess I upset the young'un. I'm not sure I'd go with a fully functional adult; maybe a partially functional adult." He petted the dog's head. "Let's keep that our secret." He got a glass of water and continued staring out the window. "She put that 'wanna be' dog on a leash. Good idea. Fur Ball won't be able to take off. Maybe later we'll go down and apologize." He sipped the water.

After dinner, Seth grabbed a container of ice cream. "I know she likes ice cream so maybe she'll think I come in peace." As he walked down the lane, he noticed Emma sitting on the lawn staring at the house and shook his head. What's she doing?

When Molly barked, Emma turned. "Hello."

Seth held up the carton. "Would you like to share some ice cream?"

"There's still some in the freezer from last night. Sorry, I forgot to send it home."

"Now you have more." He ran his hand through his short brown hair and then rubbed his short stubble. "Why are you studying the front of the house?"

"If it's okay, I'm thinking about planting some flowers, and in the fall planting tulip bulbs. Tulips are my favorite. I think they'd look great here. Is it okay?"

"Sure."

Emma stood and brushed off her rear-end. "Thank you. We'd better get the ice cream in the freezer. I have one more question." After putting the ice cream away, she continued, "Can I plant three or four tomato plants and maybe two pepper plants. No, three pepper plants."

"Where?"

"By the garage."

He pointed. "That side of the garage faces west. It's too hot in the afternoons."

She opened the back door and pointed. "I was thinking back here."

"Okay. I wouldn't plant them until we're finished with the fence. They might get damaged while we're building."

"Good point." She walked toward the kitchen. "Ready for ice cream?"

"I am."

As they ate, Seth's phone rang, and he checked it. "Sorry. I need to take this." He moved closer to the front door. After listening for a few moments, he said, "Dead men can't drive cars." He hung up.

When Emma tilted her head, he said, "Carl ran a license plate. The man who the car's registered to died almost three years ago."

"That's strange."

"I agree." Seth took his last bite of ice cream. "Two things before I leave, first, I'm sorry if I insulted you." When she started to say something, he raised his hand. "How about Ace takes Molly for her nightly walk?"

Emma smiled. "Thank you, Ace."

While the dogs were outside, Emma said, "Maybe I was a little sensitive. It just seems you've witnessed every interesting thing I've done. I usually lead a very boring life."

He shook his head. "I doubt there's anything boring about you." Watching her cheeks tinge pink, he added, "I didn't mean that in a negative way."

She nodded as she let the dogs in and petted Ace. "Thank you, again."

"Thank you for sharing ice cream with me."

Emma opened the freezer. "Wait. You can take it home."

"Leave it here." At the front door, Seth said, "Goodnight, I'm sure I'll see you tomorrow."

Standing in her doorway, Emma said, "Goodnight."

As Seth walked home, he noticed the headlights of the car. I wonder if that's the same Crown Vic. He called his office, but before a patrol car could drive by the car had left.


Thank you Youtube for the video on Pomeranians. Molly is a Pom.


*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend



Recognized

#10
March
2023


Thank you Google Images for the image of what the shelter roof may look like.

This post is a little over 1800 words long and as usual I made changes as I posted. I know Seth shakes his head a lot, it will be addressed down the road. I also know he comes across bossy, that will also be addressed down the road. Both are character flaws that will be addressed. I promise. I am slowly beginning to unravel Seth. Again, thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate all your kind reviews and support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.