General Non-Fiction posted March 7, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
I made a poor choice at lunch time

The Hindenburg

by T B Botts


I don't know what I was thinking. In retrospect, I suppose there wasn't much thought at all. I was hungry, and it was lunchtime. My wife, Jan, was out shopping with my daughter, or she might have stepped in and stopped me from a foolish decision. To make matters worse, the little voice in my head that usually warns against doing stupid things must have been napping. It's never around when I need it.

I glanced into the refrigerator and saw a small container of sauerkraut and pork left from a few nights before.
 
"Well, what's this? Hmm... no sense in letting it go to waste." 
 
I popped it into the microwave and sixty seconds later I had a delightful entree of sorts. Of course it wasn't enough to constitute a meal, so I started looking around for something else.

It just so happened that the day before I had made a rather tasty pot of ham and bean soup, of which there was still plenty left. Usually soup that has set for a day or two gets better with age. I was still a bit hungry, so without hesitation I heated up a bowl of the soup. Part way through my feast it dawned on me that I was acting like a mad scientist. I had mixed two volatile ingredients and an explosion similar to the Big Bang was bound to happen sometime in the not so distant future.
 
"Oh God, what have I done?"
 
Oh well, it was too late to stop now. I finished my soup and waited for the inevitable.

I'm happy to report that though I did suffer some bloating, and of course the expected rumbling from the nether region, I nonetheless made it through the night without blowing the doors down, or even knocking the blanket off the bed. I woke up a few times thinking I heard thunder off in the distance, but that made no sense. It's clear as a bell outside.

Will I do something that stupid again? Probably. I'm a slow learner.

 



Recognized

#62
March
2023


Though my ill-informed decision happened yesterday, I'm still reaping the effects of it today. As doctor Stanley says- you'll reap what you sow, more than you sow and later than you sow. Truer words were never spoken.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by willie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. T B Botts All rights reserved.
T B Botts has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.