General Fiction posted March 5, 2023 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Doolie is rescued and Zoe's Plan is revealed

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part 3

Zoe's Plan is Played Out

by Liz O'Neill



Background
Several things are popping in this chapter. Zoe has been planning something, we read the backstory that strenghtens dear 3-legged Maddie.

Cast of characters

Bea –mom bear to puppies & Scruffles Part 1&2

Sweet Puppy– from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave

Scruffles–  from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave (RIP)

Doolie –mom bear to puppies from Part 2 (RIP)

Benny–miniature sheep dog  from Part 2  (RIP)

Annie–Brussels Griffon from Part 2 (RIP)

Maddie–3-legged Brussels Griffon from Part 2

Buddy bear--friend of Doolie & Bea who worked with troubled puppies 

Zoe– Tibetan Terrier from Part 2 Like foster kid who gets moved around a lot

         She lived with Doolie & her crew, then Bea & Sweet Puppy, 

         & finally to live with Buddy bear & her puppy Stormy

Stormy- lived with Buddy bear

Willow–counseling tree (metaphor for people who help children) Part 1&2

 
There is a backstory about Doolie getting captured and waiting for her crew to let her out: 
"The man had his shotgun or as Doolie and her mom called a black stick that shot out things worse than pebbles. Remembering this, Doolie did not try to fight him off. She was rushed into a large wire crate, locked in and just left there."

*********

 We continue with Maddie’s celebratory memory.  Doolie, the captive bear needs her puppies to come by soon to help her escape. Tussling and playing around, delays them from being very close behind her. She prepares herself, practicing in her mind how she will get their attention. 

Growing anxious, she just wished they’d hurry. She didn’t want that human to come back out to where she was, especially carrying a black stick. The shaking caged bear had no idea what his plan for her was, but was sure it wasn’t good.

Because they had no idea what it meant to be quiet, Doolie knew she would be alerted to their nearing the area. Her crew did not disappoint, she could hear them coming down the path. What she had practiced repeatedly in her imagination would definitely get their attention.

Doolie let loose a growl, shaking the cage and the ground they all stood upon. Leaves even began to fall as the branches shook. She had their attention and motioned them over to her cage.

The plan was for Maddie to climb across a usually grumpy, Annie, onto a nervous Zoe and all the way up the long high neck of Benny. She needed to avoid his snapping jaws, on her way to the tippy-top of his head. On her one super strong back leg, she was to reach up as tall as she could to unlatch the door to her mom, Doolie’s cage.

Amazingly, Annie did not grump once, Zoe stood as still as she could, Benny was able to keep his jaws clamped, and Maddie’s little leg remained sturdy without any shaking.

The lever to the door was raised. Their mom was free and whisked them away from danger. This is what Willow had reminded and praised them each about.  Maddie had never forgotten it. She could be brave even if Sweet Puppy left to help look for Zoe who had run away from Buddy bear’s.

Believing Maddie was being honest about feeling confident to be alone, Sweet Puppy asked one more time and was shooed away by Maddie with mutual laughs.  

She, her mom and Buddy bear made good time getting to Buddy bear’s place. Stormy had remained behind in case Zoe returned. A disappointed Stormy had to report there was still no sign of their runaway friend. 

Down the hill they trekked. Both Buddy bear and Stormy filled in Sweet Puppy and Bea as to some of their clues they had drawn observing Zoe every time they went for a walk in that area. There was a spot she always stopped at with a dreamy look in her eyes. 

Buddy bear explained those were the times she knew Zoe was up to something. It seemed no matter how on guard and alert they were, strategic, deceptive Zoe outwitted them. With her thinking she was so clever, there was concern she might be in danger.

They split up to be able to cover the extensive terrain more quickly. Bea had a sense Zoe was somewhere by the river, but noticed Stormy was headed that way.  She wanted to let Stormy be the hero to have located Zoe.

 It wasn’t long before Stormy came running to tell everyone he’d found Zoe. The complication was Zoe was trapped and couldn’t move. Stormy reported Zoe was shivering, crying and having trouble breathing.

When Buddy bear reached Zoe’s spot, she observed Zoe’s state of difficulty and her traumatic condition. Her hindquarters were hanging off a bank being pummeled by the punishing current and her legs had sunk into the mud, holding her fast, unable to move at all.

Everyone dug around her ‘til she was loosened and could get up on her own. Her legs were shaky under her, but she was able to move toward home. Buddy bear pointed out to her how many came to help. 

It was impressed upon her as a message for her to know how many care about her and how worried everyone was. Zoe shook her head at it all. She told Buddy bear she figured she would definitely be put out of the family after such a performance.

Zoe sobbed when Buddy bear motioned to her to come get a big bear hug.  She reassured Zoe she was a member of their family and that wasn’t going to change, even though it looked like Zoe had tested that out.

It was time for Bea and Sweet Puppy to get back to Maddie, who had already been alone too long. She figured Buddy bear, Stormy and Zoe would work things out and hopefully, there would be no repeat of this.

Maddie’s little bobtail vibrated back forth, up and down she was so happy to see her new mom, Bea, and of course her longtime crush Sweet Puppy who took time to tell her everything she had missed. Maddie was in her glory having Sweet Puppy paying her so much attention.


 




Much of the beginning of this book recalls all of the puppies (any dog, any age) my former partner, Maureen (stage name-Doolie) and I watched go to the Rainbow Bridge, Benny, Annie, and Zoe. We are introducing Buddy bear, a friend of Bea and Doolie. I use advanced vocabulary. Who of us has not had to look up words we were unfamiliar with? This book is aimed at 4-6th grade for independent reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.