General Fiction posted March 3, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
There's a clearness of thought before the grief.

Dear Father,

by papa55mike

Dear Father,
 
 
I've let Brian's hand go for the last time, and I know his pain has finally ended. The grief I felt before watching the last breath leave his body has changed, and a numbing sensation now grips me. It's astounding how fast life can leave a person. He was there, and a moment later, Brian left my life. Maybe I should be wiping the tears from my eyes, but right now, I need to write you this letter, Father.
 
Like you already don't know, Lord, I want to tell you what a good man Brian was. You've seen his kindness for the children in our lives and not only Jesse, our son. But all his friends, too. Brian always greeted each person with a smile and wished them a great day. I've seen it stun several people; they would look shocked, and then a smile would creep across their faces. What greater gift could you give?
 
Brian's love for You, Father, was breathtaking. He studied Your word, worshipped faithfully, and was always willing to serve in any way. Brian always remembered Your love for the poor and homeless. Only a few know about his volunteer work for the local shelter and food bank, and he never wanted recognition. Brian loved working hard for you, God. I knew he wasn't perfect and made mistakes, but you could hear him begging for forgiveness in his early morning prayers.
 
I was told that Brian never left my side through my heart attacks, even in the lonely days I was in a coma. He was also the powerful force behind my recovery and would never let me give up. I called him my Health Nazi, and Brian loved it.
 
The one thing I will miss the most is Brian's gentle touch on my skin. It would send shivers up my spine even after fifty years of marriage. We never lost our youthful passion, and his smile after kissing me showed his enduring love. I'm not sure I can sleep in our bed ever again. It would be too lonely.
 
Father, I ask only one thing: help me do this right over the next few days. There are so many things to get through, and I can't do it without Your arms wrapped around me. Please fill me with love and guidance, and help me find the joy Brian left with me. May my heart be filled with his peace, though the tears of loss will soon fill my eyes.
 
Thank you, Father, for helping me write this letter.
 
Your loving daughter,
 
Lucy



Dear God contest entry

Recognized


Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.