General Fiction posted February 28, 2023 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Doolie needed to be rescued twice

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part 3

The Rescue

by Liz O'Neill



Background
Maddie is reflecting about how Willow helped all of Doolie's
Puppies realize their value when they had to rescue their captured mom.


 

Cast of characters

Bea –mom bear to puppies & Scruffles Part 1&2

Sweet Puppy– from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave

Scruffles–  from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave (RIP)

Doolie –mom bear to puppies from Part 2 (RIP)

Benny–miniature sheep dog  from Part 2  (RIP)

Annie–Brussels Griffon from Part 2 (RIP)

Maddie–3-legged Brussels Griffon from Part 2

Buddy bear--friend of Doolie & Bea who worked with troubled puppies 

Zoe– Tibetan Terrier from Part 2 Like foster kid who gets moved around a lot

         She lived with Doolie & her crew, then Bea & Sweet Puppy, 

         & finally to live with Buddy bear & her puppy Stormy

Stormy- lived with Buddy bear

Willow–counseling tree (metaphor for people who help children) Part 1&2

 Maddie was reflecting how much braver she was and how much better and truer a picture of herself she had gotten since her mom Doolie brought them to Willow. Bea was reflecting on what it might have meant when Timothy had called her his best friend.

*******

Bea always thought the concept of ‘best friend’ was confounding. She wondered if someone said she was their best friend, did that mean they had to be her best friend? Even though the word ‘best’ gives you the idea there is only one.

Bea had many best friends, who had all gone to the bridge of rainbows. Did that mean she had no special friends. But Willow was definitely on that list in her head and heart. She hoped Willow felt the same about her. She thought she might ask her that someday.

She remembered what her mom had told her about potential friends. They can be anywhere, just to be on guard and do your notice exercise. She guessed that Timothy must have dared to trust the new friend he had met. 

They must have become very close friends, she must have been persuasive. He left with her. There was no more need for any signaling slaps on the water. Bea knew, if she slapped the prescribed two loud slaps, there would be no one loud beaver tail slap in response. He was gone.

She almost wanted to slap the two signaling slaps to see if, possibly, Timothy hadn’t left and was still in the lodge, his protective home. He was in another lodge, finally happier with his life. He would no longer feel like an empty clay pot.

Bea reminded Willow that she had told the sad wee bear that she would feel better about everything if she talked about all of her friends who were no longer with her.

It struck her there was no place to visit anymore. Doolie and her crew were all gone to the bridge of rainbows, and Timothy was nowhere to be found. 

Her wandering, drooping mind was quickly grounded with a visit from Buddy bear. Her cave home was in the deep woods quite far from Bea’s cave.  It seemed like a perfect place for Zoe to live. If she set her mind on an idea, there it stayed.

If she planned to run away from there, we humans would advise that she pack a big lunch and bring a map. Bea did not look forward to the long rugged stroll. But when she heard Buddy bear or Stormy’s story, she knew they’d better hurry.

Stormy had run to his mom Buddy bear to tell her that Zoe had run down the hill without saying anything. When Stormy yelled for her to stop, she just continued running, as if she hadn’t heard him.

Buddy bear knew very well that Zoe had heard Stormy. Stormy was beginning to cry for several reasons. He was angry, concerned, and he felt responsible. He felt he should have been able to do something.

His mom reminded him that they had talked about how this might happen. They were suspicious of Zoe’s actions every time they went for a walk. They didn’t know of what plan to make, just go look for her.

Bea notified Sweet Puppy of Zoe’s new antics, so she readied herself. They informed Maddie that they’d be back  before dark. Maddie assured them that she’d be fine. Sweet Puppy agreed to stay back to be with Maddie.

Maddie urged Sweet Puppy to go along with her mom. The more looking for Zoe, the better. She felt a little helpless, until she remembered Willow’s words the time she met with her. 

Some very powerful things happened when their mom, who was now at the bridge of rainbows took them to talk with Willow. That wonderful listening tree helped Maddie and all of the family realize how important they were. 

Their mom was locked in a large securely wired crate and the brave puppies had to rescue her. The backstory is, when Doolie was younger, she had to be rescued by a horse. She had fallen into a deep hole used for a trap. 

The grateful wise bear promised the kind horse that when she got a chance, she would pay him back by helping another horse in need of attention. That moment presented itself, bringing us up to her second occasion needing to be rescued. This time it was by her own family of puppies 

A man was being mean to a horse who was locked in behind a fence. Doolie hid until the man left and went into his house.  She slowly, step by step made it over to the gate and lifted the wood that locked him in. 

She was not fast enough. The man must have only needed to go into his house to get something. Since the horse is away free, the man rage, and Doolie the rescuer is going to pay for it.

He has his shotgun or as Doolie and her mom called it a black stick that shot out things worse than pebbles. Remembering this, Doolie does not try to fight him off. She is rushed into a large wire crate, locked in and just left there.  


 




Much of the beginning of this book recalls all of the puppies (any dog, any age) my former partner, Maureen (stage name-Doolie) and I watched go to the Rainbow Bridge, Benny, Annie, and Zoe. We are introducing Buddy bear, a friend of Bea and Doolie. I use advanced vocabulary. Who of us has not had to look up words we were unfamiliar with? This book is aimed at 4-6th grade for independent reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.