General Poetry posted February 22, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Lune 3-5-3 (the Snow Moon)

Snow Moon in February

by Mark D. R.

the Snow Moon*
caresses the Earth
in Zen shades



3-5-3 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem that has the following syllable count. First line has three syllables, second five, the final line has 3 syllables.


*It is known as the snow moon, according to the Old Farmer's Almanac, since February is associated with more snowfall in North America. The Arapaho tribe's name for February's full moon means "frost sparkling in the sun," according to a guide compiled at Western Washington University.

Image and text above captured from Internet search.

New York-based poet Robert Kelly first created the lune in the 1960s. The Kelly lune consists of three English syllables in the first line, five in the second, and three in the last. It was named after its shape, which resembles a crescent moon. Later, poet Jack Collom came up with the word-count-variant lune that is more popular today: three words in the first line, five in the second, three in the last.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mark D. R. All rights reserved.
Mark D. R. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.