General Script posted March 5, 2023 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A family gathers to celebrate a father`s life

A chapter in the book The Farewell

The Farewell V

by Kaiku


SCENE V

(In Scene IV Martha was the fourth of nine to visit their father) 
 
Setting:  Master bedroom.  Room is spacious and comfortable.  King size bed against the far wall from the entry door.  Nightstands on either side with reading lamps. A Lazy Boy positioned at the end of the bed facing the entry to the room. There is another chair, folding, that rests directly opposite the Lazy Boy so that both parties in their respective chairs would be facing each other. A couple feet from the two chairs is the entrance to the master bath. Along the near wall closest to the door sits an extensive dresser and bureau and just past the bureau is a walk-in closet.  Various pieces of artwork hang from the open spaces on each of the four walls.  One in particular is a painting of the man sitting in the Lazy Boy.  It`s an action painting of the man highlighting his career as a professional basketball player.
 
The man has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his room preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  His nine kids have come to say their goodbyes, one-by-one.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Knock on the door.
 
Door is opening rather reluctantly and Janet peers in.
 
JANET almost in a whisper.
DAD, ARE YOU AWAKE? CAN I COME IN?

FATHER a soft voice of his own, sounding a little tired.
OF COURSE.
 
Janet enters very softly, closing the door behind her, as if her dad was sleeping. Gets to the empty chair and sits on its edge with her hands clasped and arms snug together resting on her knees.
 
JANET tears begin filling her eyes.
OH DAD, I`M SO SORRY.
 
FATHER as only a father could say
BECAUSE I`M DYING OR YOU`RE CRYING.
 
Both chuckle, easing the moment.
 
JANET deep breaths holding back more tears.
THERE`S SO MUCH I WANT TO TELL YOU, I DON`T KNOW WHERE TO START…
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN GET YOU?  YOU LOOK SO TIRED.
 
FATHER in his sense of humor and wide-eyed.
WELL, I WOULDN`T MIND ANOTHR FUDGESICLE.
 
Janet laughs and cries. 
 
JANET a little uncertain.
REALLY? LET ME GO GET ONE FOR YOU.
 
Dad lifts his hand and declines. Dad gestures her to sit closer.  Janet adjusts her chair so that it puts her close to her father.
 
FATHER straightening up a bit.
TELL ME, HOW`D SHE DIE?
 
JANET recalling her parents 50th anniversary when she stood up and recited.
SHE DIED WITH ONE EYE CLOSED, HAIR MESSED UP,
FALSE TEETH OUT STANDING ON ONE LEG WAVING BYE-BYE.
 
They both erupt in laughter.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE V
 
FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete, businessman, devoted father and husband. Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
JANET- 56, married, 5 children.  Insecure, and a follower.  Always apologetic.  Very good swimmer and loves to dance.  Graduated high school and is a working mom.
 
 
SCENE – 5B
 
(Pizza has arrived and everyone is in the dining room. Boys are standing.  Janet is with her dad)
 
Setting:  Dining room sits just adjacent to the living room.  Long table with high-backed chairs on the ends, and bench seating on the sides. A cabinet holding crystal, dishware, etc. sits snugly against the end wall.  Mom, Linnea and eight siblings makes for somewhat tight quarters but everyone doesn`t seem to mind. A little break in the action and enjoying some pizza.
 
Their dad has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his bedroom preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  The nine children have flown in from around the country to say their last goodbyes.  Siblings are commiserating, waiting for their turn with Dad.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
MARTY blurts out.
GREAT IDEA ON THE PIZZA, WHOEVER THOUGHT OF IT.  
 
DAN like an Italian. 
YO, THAT`D BE YOUR BROTHER MIKE WHO MADE THE DECISION.
 
Everybody makes a pizza gesture to Mike in thanks.
 
CAROL a little pleading to all.
MAKE SURE TO LEAVE A COUPLE SLICES FOR SISTER JANET.
 
 
MIKE resolutely toward everyone.
DON`T BE LOOKING AT ME.
 
PEGGY a bit teasing looking at Mike.
WE KNOW UNDER THAT HARDENED LOOK, YOU`RE JUST A BIG SOFTY.
 
MARIANNE in agreement.
AMEN TO THAT SISTER, PEGGY.
 
Everyone has a bit of a laugh but quickly subsides.
 
DAN now in gratitude
KIDDING ASIDE, A LITTLE PRAYER IN THANKS. 
 
The room becomes quiet and a short pause before Dan continues.
 
LORD, WE ARE SO GRATEFUL TO BE HERE WITH OUR FATHER AS HE MOVES CLOSER TO YOU.
TO BE HERE AS WELL TO SUPPORT OUR MOTHER WHO WITH YOUR STRENGTH AND GUIDANCE WILL FIND PEACE UNDER THESE DIFFICULT TIMES. (a deep breath….pause)  WE THANK YOU LORD FOR A STRONG FAMILY OF NINE SIBLINGS BLESSED WITH THE UNWAVERING LOVE AND AFFECTION OF TWO WONDERFUL PARENTS.  AS OUR FATHER COMES TO A CLOSE ON THIS LIFE MAY HE CONTINUE TO WATCH OVER US IN HIS NEXT LIFE AS HE STANDS IN THE GLORY OF YOUR LOVE. AMEN.
 
Everyone follows up with AMEN.
 
Mother is sitting in silence as each of her children come to her and put their hands on her shoulders.  Heads are down in reverence.  Not a dry eye amongst the siblings.
 
Janet arrives just in time for the group moment with her mother. Carol is next up to see her father.  Shaken.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE 5B

Mother, eight children and Dan`s wife: Nancy- 77, Peggy- 60, Marianne- 58, Mike- 57, Martha- 54, Kevin- 52, Carol- 51, Daniel- 47, Timothy- 42, Linnea- 47.
 




Forgive my unconventional use of CAPS. I found it helpful to distinguish conversation from directed emotion. There is no shouting.

Janet lacks confidence and her dad pulls her through a tough moment.

The family has a moment to be thankful.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.