General Script posted March 2, 2023 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A family gathers to celebrate a father`s life

A chapter in the book The Farewell

The Farewell IV

by Kaiku


SCENE IV

(In Scene III Marianne was the third of nine to visit their father) 
 
Setting:  Master bedroom.  Room is spacious and comfortable.  King size bed against the far wall from the entry door.  Nightstands on either side with reading lamps. A Lazy Boy positioned at the end of the bed facing the entry to the room. There is another chair, folding, that rests directly opposite the Lazy Boy so that both parties in their respective chairs would be facing each other. A couple feet from the two chairs is the entrance to the master bath. Along the near wall closest to the door sits an extensive dresser and bureau and just past the bureau is a walk-in closet.  Various pieces of artwork hang from the open spaces on each of the four walls.  One in particular is a painting of the man sitting in the Lazy Boy.  It`s an action painting of the man highlighting his career as a professional basketball player.
 
The man has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his room preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  His nine kids have come to say their goodbyes, one-by-one.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Quick tap on the door and it opens.
 
MARTHA (also known as Marty) excitedly enters in a sing-song voice
HELLOOOO…HOW YA DOIN DAD?
 
FATHER looking up with a big grin, low in his chair.
HELLO MARTHA JEAN, MY BEAUTY QUEEN.
 
MARTHA swiftly coming over and hugging her dad
YOU ARE SUCH A STITCH DAD, I LOVE IT.
 
Martha sits down on the front edge of her chair pumped up.
 
MARTHA inquisitive in nature.
YOU OK?  HOW YA FEELIN?  YOU LOOK GREAT!
 
FATHER with a bit of a shrug, arms raised slightly in gesture.
GOOD, CAN`T COMPLAIN.  HOW`S JIM AND THE BOYS?
 
MARTHA ramping up her enthusiasm.
THEY`RE ALL GREAT.  JIM IS PUTTING UP WITH ME, OR SHOULD I SAY, I`M PUTTING UP WITH HIM (loud cackling laugh ending in a snort) OOPS, I HOPE NO ONE HEARD THAT.  THE BOYS ARE FANTASTIC, EVAN IS THE STARTING PITCHER AT SCHOOL AND ERIC IS BEING ERIC, YOU KNOW…SONG AND DANCE.  THEY CAN´T WAIT TO SEE YOU AGAIN…YOU`RE GOING TO PULL THROUGH THIS RIGHT?...  I TALK TOO MUCH…  ARE YOU OK?
 
A pause as they both collect their breaths. Martha continues.
DAD, I KNOW IT WAS TOUGH WHEN I INTRODUCED YOU TO JIM THAT VERY FIRST TIME.  A BLACK MAN.  GUESS WHO`S COMING TO DINNER- RIGHT?  YOU EMBRACED HIM, MAYBE NOT AT FIRST, BUT YOU DID.  I AM FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR THAT.
 
FATHER looking a little sheepish.
WELL, YOU DID CATCH ME A LITTLE OFF GUARD.  YOU MADE IT WORK AND JIM IS A FINE MAN. I LOVE HIM LIKE A SON.
 
MARTHA a bit of seriousness in her voice.
WILL YOU LET ME SING SOMETHING FOR YOU DAD?  HOW ABOUT `SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBLOW`?  IT`S OUR FAVORITE.
 
Reaching across, Martha holds her dad`s hands in hers and together they begin singing, 
SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW, BLUEBIRDS FLY………..
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE IV
 
FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete, businessman, devoted father and husband. Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
MARTHA (MARTY)- 54, manic personality.  Jim is her second husband, 2 children.  Pretty woman and tough, doesn`t back down from anything.  Great voice.  Never met a person she wouldn`t invite into her home.  Over-the-top.
 
 
SCENE – 4B

(Mom, sisters, and Linnea are lying down. Just the boys sitting around the coffee table. Martha is with her dad)
 
Setting:  Living room, rather square in size but spacious.  Leather couch against the front windows of the house, a tri-level.  Half wall on the staircase side with a couple sitting chairs, lamp and small round table stand with flowers and knick-knacks. Opposite wall is a recliner and cabinet with glass doors.  Cabinet holds crystal and other family items i.e. pics of the grandkids etc.  In front of the couch is a 60`s style coffee table with snacks and other edible items that the children are sharing.  An open space connects the living room and dining room.  Artwork adorns all the walls where there is room.  Nothing cramped or ostentatious.  Kids are scattered about, some standing, some sitting both in the living room and dining room.
 
Their dad has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his bedroom preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  The nine children have flown in from around the country to say their last goodbyes.  Siblings are commiserating, waiting for their turn with Dad.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Martha is with her father. The boys have gathered around the coffee table.  The girls are lying down in the other bedrooms.
 
MIKE looking over the snacks on the coffee table.
I HAVE TO HAVE SOME REAL FOOD.  SHOULD WE GET A PIZZA DELIVERED?
 
DAN in agreement.
LITTLE ITALIAN DELIVERS.  THEY`RE THE BEST AND MOM`S FAVORITE.  WE`LL GET A COUPLE
OF THEM. I`LL MAKE THE CALL.  THE `WORKS` OK?
 
Boys nod in agreement and Dan steps away to make the call.
 
TIM quietly.
MIKE, HOW`D IT GO?
 
MIKE matter of fact.
OH, OK.  HE`S GETTING CLOSE. (Big sigh) HE`S A TOUGH DUDE. BUT LIKE HE`S SAID, GETTING OLD AIN`T FOR SISSIES.
 
TIM a little unsettled.
IS HE THERE…I MEAN…DID HE SAY MUCH?
 
MIKE a bit dismissive.
CHRIST, YOU`LL JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT.  HE`S NOT GOING TO DIE 
ON YOU, BUT HE MIGHT NOT SAY MUCH EITHER.

KEVIN a bit mediating.
IT SUCKS, TIM.  IT`S A LONG DAY FOR DAD.  I HOPE HE HAS THE 
ENERGY TO GET THROUGH ALL OF THIS.
 
Dan returns.
 
DAN curious..
PIZZA`S ABOUT 45 MIN. OUT.  WHAT I`D MISS?
 
KEVIN pragmatically.
JUST HOPING DAD HAS THE ENERGY TO BE ABLE TO VISIT WITH
ALL OF US. MIGHT MAKE SENSE TO HAVE HIM TAKE A NAP AT SOME POINT.
 
DAN compassionately.
WHEN I SEE HIM, I`LL BRING THAT UP.  GOOD IDEA.
 
Girls return and Martha has just left her dad.  Janet signals she`s going in.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE 
 
 
The brothers.  Mike- 57, Kevin- 52, Dan- 47, Tim- 42.
 




Martha is the middle child. She can get you going and sometimes in the wrong direction. Intentions are typically good, just be careful.

The boys have a moment together. Tim is a bit nervous.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.