General Script posted February 14, 2023 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A family gathers to celebrate a father`s life

A chapter in the book The Farewell

The Farewell

by Kaiku


 
SCENE I
 
(Peggy, baptized as Margaret, is the eldest of nine children and the first to say Farewell)
 
SETTING:  Master bedroom.  Room is spacious and comfortable.  King size bed against the far wall from the entry door.  Nightstands on either side with reading lamps. A Lazy Boy positioned at the end of the bed facing the entry to the room. There is another chair, folding, that rests directly opposite the Lazy Boy so that both parties in their respective chairs would be facing each other. A couple feet from the two chairs is the entrance to the master bath. Along the near wall closest to the door sits an extensive dresser and bureau and just past the bureau is a walk-in closet.  Various pieces of artwork hang from the open spaces on each of the four walls.  One in particular is a painting of the man sitting in the Lazy Boy.  It`s an action painting of  the man highlighting his career as a professional basketball player.
 
The man has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his room preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  His nine kids have come to say their goodbyes, one-by-one.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
There is a soft knock on the door, no answwer.
 
The door opens and the eldest daughter Peggy slowly walks in. Closes the door behind her.
Her father, dressed in pajamas, sits with strength in the Lazy Boy.
Peggy approaches, sits in the folding chair, reaches out and places her hands into her father`s.
 
PEGGY slightly shaking with moistened eyes, says softly
HELLO DAD
 
FATHER gripping softly the hands of his daughter with focused blue eyes
WHAT DO YOU SAY MARGARET? AND WHY SUCH THE BIG DEAL TODAY? 
I`M NOT GONE YET
 
They both chuckle nervously
 
PEGGY returning her father`s grip and smiling
OH DAD, YOU`RE SO FUNNY.
AND YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE TO CALL ME MARGARET.
 
A pause and a long moment of silence
 
PEGGY
WASN`T THAT A HOOT YESTERDAY WHEN WE ALL RAISED
OUR FUDGESICLES TOASTING YOU AND THE FAMILY?
 
FATHER eyes brightened
OH YEA, WE ALWAYS DID ENJOY OUR FUDGESICLES.  
IN FACT, I THINK I COULD EAT ONE RIGHT NOW!
 
They both laugh.  A slight pause.
 
PEGGY half in jest
SHOULD I GET YOU ONE?

FATHER
NAH, I`M GOOD.  BUT THANK YOU
 
A long pause as both just sit in silence enjoying the moment together.  Smiles being exchanged.
 
PEGGY leaning forward with a firmness in her voice
I LOVE YOU DAD.  YOU HAVE….
 
Peggy´s voice trails off and tears well-up in her eyes.  She lifts her father`s hands in hers and kisses them.
 
PEGGY trying to maintain her composure
YOU HAVE BEEN SUCH A WONDERFUL FATHER AND HUSBAND
TO MOM.  I WILL MISS YOU TERRIBLY.
 
Silence
 
FATHER leaning forward, lowering their hands
IT`S BEEN A GREAT RIDE KIDDO AND I`VE BEEN SO PROUD OF YOU.  BUT DON`T WORRY, I`M NOT GOING ANYWHERE. JUST KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR MOTHER FOR ME.  OK?
 
They both sit in silence and just sit there holding hands until Father gives a Fatherly nod to Peggy.  She kisses her Father`s hands one more time, stands up, kisses her Father on the forehead, turns and exits the room closing the door behind her.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END OF SCENE ONE
 
CHARACTERS
 
FATHER- 82, former professional basketball player, college All-American, great all-around athlete, businessman, devoted father and husband. Logical, understanding and a disciplinarian. Sang in the church choir. 
 
PEGGY- 60, eldest of nine.  Married with 2 children.  Master`s degree in Education. High School Art Teacher.  Soft heart, pragmatic, wonderful writer, artist and mother.
 
 
SCENE – IB
 
(Eight children are gathered in the living and dining rooms, Peggy is with her dad)
 
Setting:  Living room, rather square in size but spacious.  Leather couch against the front windows of the house, a tri-level.  Half wall on the staircase side with a couple sitting chairs, lamp and small round table stand with flowers and knick-knacks. Opposite wall is a recliner and cabinet with glass doors.  Cabinet holds crystal and other family items i.e. pics of the grandkids etc.  In front of the couch is a 60`s style coffee table with snacks and other edible items that the children are sharing.  An open space connects the living room and dining room.  Artwork adorns all the walls where there is room.  Nothing cramped or ostentatious.  Kids are scattered about, some standing, some sitting both in the living room and dining room.
 
Their dad has three days left in his life.  He is home, in his bedroom preparing to die from congestive heart failure.  The nine children have flown in from around the country to say their last goodbyes.  Siblings are commiserating, waiting for their turn with Dad.
 
LIGHTS COME UP
 
Eight children are reminiscing about family and their dad. Peggy is with her father.

Marianne and Kevin are paired up.  Mike, Dan, and Tim are around the food and Janet, Martha and Carol are talking with their mom.
 
MARIANNE and KEVIN are in the back of the dining room sitting next to each other.
MARIANNE calm enthusiasm
HOW`S JUDY?  SHE`S THE BEST.
 
KEVIN proudly
GOOD. BUSY WITH THE KIDS.  MAX IS SUCH A WHIRLWIND AND OF COURSE BOTH 
JESSICA AND KATIE ARE LIKE LITTLE SAINTS… DRIVES MAX NUTS.
 
MARIANNE with kindness
THAT MAX, HE`S SUCH A CUTEY. WHAT`S HE NOW, IN SEVENTH GRADE?  
 
KEVIN confidently
YEP, THIS FALL HE`LL BE IN SEVENTH, JESSICA WILL BE A SOPHMORE
AND KATIE WILL BE IN FIFTH.  SUMMER`S BEEN BUSY WITH SOCCER,
SOFTBALL AND JUST THE REGULAR STUFF.JUDY`S MAKING
IT ALL WORK.  PLUS, HER GLASS WORK IS STARTING TO TAKE OFF.
 
LIGHTS FADE AND LIGHTS COME UP 
Mother, Janet, Martha and Carol are together standing near the dining
room.  It`s a straight shot down the hallway to their dad`s bedroom.

MARTHA nervously
HOW ARE YOU HOLDING UP, MOM?  HOW WAS DAD THIS MORNING?  WILL 
THIS BE TOO MUCH FOR HIM?
 
MOM exhausted.
HE`S TIRED, BUT HE`LL BE FINE.  
 
JANET shaken with tears welling in her eyes.
OH MOM, I`M SO SORRY…WE`RE SO SORRY.
 
CAROL looking away and noticing Peggy.
LOOK, HERE COMES PEGGY.
 
MARTHA surprised.
ARE WE ALL GOING TO BE THAT QUICK?  MAYBE I SHOULD GO NEXT.
 
All eyes on Peggy as she enters the room, composed but visibly shaken.
Mike walks toward Peggy, consoling, puts his hand on her shoulder then
heads toward his father`s bedroom before anyone else can make a move.
 
LIGHTS FADE
 
END SCENE 
 
Mother and eight children: Marianne- 58, Michael- 57, Janet- 56, Martha- 54, Kevin- 52, Carol- 51, Daniel- 47, Timothy- 42
 
 



Write A Script contest entry


Forgive the CAPS. Lots of side direction and I didn`t want that to be confused with actual conversation.

There are nine scenes to this story. This is the first one. Two scenes per actual scene as the stage is divided into two rooms to show the conversations between the siblings and the one`s with their dad.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kaiku All rights reserved.
Kaiku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.