General Fiction posted February 5, 2023 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
There are lessons learned

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part 3

The Growly Puppy

by Liz O'Neill



Background
Plans continue to shape up around Zoe, a troubled puppy

Cast of characters

Bea –mom bear to puppies & Scruffles Part 1&2

Sweet Puppy– from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave

Scruffles–  from Part 1&2 invited by Bea to live in cave (RIP)

Doolie –mom bear to puppies from Part 2

Benny–miniature sheep dog  from Part 2  (RIP)

Annie–Brussels Griffon from Part 2 (RIP)

Maddie–3-legged Brussels Griffon from Part 2

Zoe– Tibetan Terrier from Part 2

Buddy bear-- the friend who will help Zoe & mom bear to Stormy

Stormy--a puppy who lives with Buddy bear & has her for his mom

Willow–counseling tree (metaphor for people who help children) Part 1&2

Previously: Because Zoe hurt Annie who had to go to the bridge of rainbows, she couldn’t live with Doolie anymore. Doolie & Willow were trying to plan her future. Bea had a solution. Zoe is like a foster kid that's very confused and acts accordingly.

********

Stormy was very moved by Zoe’s backstory and agreed he believed both he and his mom could make a difference in Zoe’s life. He thought it was a great idea.

When Buddy bear cautioned Stormy that Zoe might want to start a fight with him, he said he understood how that worked. Such behavior was familiar to him. In the group of puppies he’d lived with before she found him, there was one puppy who was very angry causing fear among the other animals, so they’d do what he wanted. 

He grew serious as he continued to report to his mom that the intimidated, weaker puppies did just what the bullying puppy wanted. He confidently told how he called the mean, growly puppy’s bluff and just ignored him.

It is set, then, Zoe will live with Bea and Sweet Puppy, however when they went to spend time with Doolie, she will stay with Buddy bear and Stormy. This worked out well with Stormy and Buddy bear’s vigilance.

At first Zoe was practicing her best manners, but when she thought Buddy bear was too busy to notice, she began to do just as Stormy had predicted. She exhibited the same intimidating behaviors which Stormy was acquainted with, from experience.

When Stormy was trying to get past Zoe to reach the opening of their cave home, Zoe began circling him, showing her teeth, growling, and plunking herself in front of him to block his way. 

To Zoe’s surprise, that wise and prepared puppy, Stormy, just went around her.  He kept his promise, of how he’d respond if Zoe came to live with them and began acting out.  He believed she didn’t really want to fight, she just wanted to be accepted and loved. The insightful puppy knew she was very anxious and confused and decided he’d tell her that someday.

In the meantime, while Stormy had made things so much easier for Buddy bear, times were not always as smooth among the wee Bea home cave walls. This was a whole other mix or what we might call a whole other kettle of fish.

Call it what we want, it did not bode well for Bea. There was a lovely, peaceful routine with the two puppies playing tirelessly. This assured Bea she could leave them unattended while she went for her daily stroll. 

She knows no one will consider her a bad mom, if she leaves them alone for a while. They are certainly old enough to be left alone. You see, Bea was aware the problems did not arise while she was gone, but when she got back from being away. 

This gave her all the more reason to have some time to herself. She was, as her mom would call it, practicing a “be good to myself” exercise, in a different way. This did not involve her “be good to myself“ treat. This called for fresh air as she did her notice exercise.

********

She felt young again, strolling, listening to the wind cry as the cool air licked her face. She heard new sounds of birds chattering about something important to them. This carried her desire in doing her talk to the maker. The next plan that arose was to visit her dear tree friend, Willow.

Strolling in that direction, Bea was reminded of the day she discovered Willow weeping. The cause was not that she’d been hurt by the children who came to vent to her, but her reason was she felt she never did enough for them.

She also said she was weeping because she felt the deep pain of the children, who were extremely wounded in every way. She did mention, children told her about happenings they never told anyone else. 

These little ones, hiding aching, broken, hearts, believed she would hold their stories in the core of her being. Bea was certain, they were right to trust her. She would tell no one and was very careful how much she told Bea.

Bea always wished there was something she could do for Willow. She’d done so much for Bea and all of her friends. The list in her memory was long, with several having already gone to the bridge of rainbows. There was Benny, Scruffles, and now Annie.

That caring tree helped save a very good friendship among, Scruffles, Sweet Puppy and her. At first, it didn’t look like things were going to work out for Sweet Puppy. Previous to Sweet Puppy’s arrival, Bea, the mom, had set up a convenient routine between her and Scruffles. 

Somehow there could be found a big heart in a wee bear. Her trusting relationship with the maker, caused that wee heart to grow increasingly, until there was actually room in it for a ragged raccoon cat.


 




Much of the beginning of this book recalls all of the puppies (any dog, any age) my former partner, Maureen (stage name-Doolie) and I watched go to the Rainbow Bridge, Benny, Annie, and Zoe. I use advanced vocabulary. Who of us has not had to look up words we were unfamiliar with? This book is aimed at 4-6th grade for independent reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.