General Fiction posted February 4, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Feeling misunderstood.

Mixed Messages

by leather


It is not easy to be 88 years old.  But that is what I was when I had difficulty breathing and was rushed to the hospital.  Being in your eighties seems to label you as senile.
 
"Hello," said a sleepy-looking admitting nurse.  "Please give me your full name and date of birth."
 
I was winded and couldn't answer, so I shook my head and tapped my lips so she would know I couldn't talk.
 
"No, sorry.  You can't have anything to eat.  But I need your full name, please."
 
With effort, I found my driver's license and pointed to my name.
 
"No, I don't want your driver's license.  Instead, I need your full name and birth date."
 
I moaned in exasperation.
 
Another nurse came in and asked how things were going.
 
"Well, she has trouble with directions and still wants to eat even though she sounds like she's in pain."
 
 
 



Flash Fiction contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cakemp55 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. leather All rights reserved.
leather has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.