Writing Flash Fiction posted February 1, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
To all my friends who write novels, this one is for you.

The End.

by papa55mike


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've dotted the last i, crossed the last t, and placed the final period at the end of the concluding sentence to a sixty-thousand-word masterpiece. In my eyes, anyway.
 
It began with the thrill of the hunt for facts. I need locations from around the world and snippets from the history of the people who live there - setting each scene with vivid descriptions of every locale down to the minute grains of sand. Then, describing the sky, the sun, and the clouds that fill the vast horizon, with striking words of wonder.
 
It cost me hundreds of hours of work, scrounging through dictionaries and thesauri' for meanings and synonyms, scratching my head to fix plot twists that never end while staying true to my characters.
 
Endless cups of coffee have stained my desk with a plethora of circles, countless Ramen noodle cups fill the garbage can beside me, crusts from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches spill out on the floor, and a mound of copy paper that's been through my printer for editing sits around me in piles.
 
But the epic is complete!
 
The long publishing grind awaits, with countless queries and first chapters to send to editors and agents - hoping for a sniff of publication. After printing off a complete copy for myself, I sit in my reading chair to give it a first read.
 
Twenty pages in, there's a shuffling noise around me. Glancing up, I see my entire cast of characters surrounding me with forlorn faces. The hero asks, "My friend, what will happen to us now that you've finished?"
 
"Oh, my wonderful colleagues. Our journey has been a special one through time and space, trotting around the world. We have faced difficult decisions but always found a solution.
 
"To you, my valiant hero, we've fought arduous battles while escaping death at every turn and still defeated the villain. You have loved many women, won people's hearts and then rode off in the sunset with a smile.
 
"To you, the evil adversary, you were brilliant in all your schemes - filling the pages with plans to rule the world while oppressing all your subjects. Your deeds will live in the hearts of every reader. To make a great hero, you must have a fantastically evil villain.
 
"To the sweet damsel of distress, our readers will swoon when you're captured and swiftly taken to a foreign land. Your life was in danger at every turn while the vile creatures of the night sought to devour your soul.
 
"To the faithful sidekick who sticks by the hero through thick and thin. Dodging the arrows, cannonballs, and bullets of every shape but only leaving his side three chapters before the end when all will think you're dead. Your sudden return will guarantee victory. Many of your actions have also added some comic relief, bringing smiles to the hero and our dedicated readers.
 
"Don't you see, my friends, your lives will be cherished by all who read these pages. Every deed will be celebrated by young and old alike. The love you shared will last an eternity, and you will live on these pages forever while I fade into oblivion."
 
The evil adversary asks, "Dear friend, will we ever see you again?"
 
"Who knows, I may write a sequel!"
 



Recognized


This little diddy is dedicated to all of us who chose to put in all work to write a novel, whether in prose or verse. Wonderful friends like; Sally Law, Beth Shelby, Shirley MClain, Sandra Mitchell, Brett Matthew West, Wayne Fowler, Ulla, Begin Again, and so many more. There must be something a little wacky about us!

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.