General Fiction posted January 15, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A hard drink to swallow.

Prune Juice

by leather


My son was about 18 months old when he had a tonsillectomy.  The surgery was uneventful, and my husband and I were anxiously waiting for him to recover so we could take him home.  We visited the hospital expecting to return with him.  However, our hopes were dashed when a nurse explained that his discharge was being held up because he was constipated.  I'm sure that disappointment could be seen on our faces.
 
"Well," she said. "We could try giving him some prune juice.  Has he ever had it before?"
 
We told her that he knew about baby prunes but not juice.
 
She stood there for a moment and then came up with a suggestion.  "I'll tell you what I'll do...I'll send up a cup of prune juice and let you see if you can get him to drink it.  You'll probably have more luck with it than I would."
 
We agreed to the plan.  But, while waiting for the juice, we wanted to prepare our little guy for his new experience.  So, we told him we were waiting for a special drink to help him go poo-poo. 
 
When it arrived, we acted as though we were all excited.  "Here it is--the poo-poo juice!"  We handed it to him, but he just stood in his crib, looking thoughtfully at the brown drink.
 
"Drink it up," we pleaded.  He ignored us as he concentrated on the juice and tipped it from side to side.  "What's the matter?" we asked.  "What are you doing?"
 
"I'm looking for the poo-poo," came his solemn answer.



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. leather All rights reserved.
leather has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.