General Fiction posted January 2, 2023 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Zoe can no longer live with Doolie

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part 3

What to do With Zoe

by Liz O'Neill



Background
We are noticing how aggressive Zoe is (ch 1) and how Sweet Puppy is trying to protect Annie, a target of Zoe's anger.
Cast of characters
Bea--"mom bear to puppies & Scruffles
Sweet Puppy--" from Part 1 invited by Bea to live in cave
Scruffles--" a Maine Coon Cat from Part 1 invited by Bea to live in cave (RIP)

Doolie --"mom bear to puppies from Part 2
Benny--"miniature sheep dog from Part 2 (RIP)
Annie--"Brussels Griffon from Part 2
Maddie--"3-legged Brussels Griffon from Part 2
Zoe--" Tibetan Terrier from Part 2
Willow--"counseling tree (metaphor for people who help children) Part 1
Previously: Sweet Puppy took the opportunity to impress her crush Annie by fighting to protect her from Zoe another puppy Doolie invited into her home. It turned out Zoe ended up sending Annie to the path for the bridge of rainbows. This upset Doolie so much, she could not have Zoe live with her anymore.
*******
Sweet Puppy's nose is like Zoe's, therefore it is a fair fight. She is hoping Annie can see what a brave fighter she is. She began growling and biting at Zoe, hoping to scare her enough to get her to back-off. She has one eye on Zoe and the other on Annie.

Doolie was attempting to break up the vicious sparring match, or at least pull Annie to safety. Then it happened. Sweet Puppy was focused on the wrong movement and the next thing heard even over the growls was a pained-fill yowl.

As Doolie was reaching in to lift Annie out of the fiery fracas, Sweet Puppy chomped down hard with all of her might, believing it was Zoe going in for a frightful attack on Annie.

Sweet Puppy realized what she had done. She would never want to hurt Doolie. She felt just as terrible as she had when her mom got injured several times she and Scruffles were tangling.



Sweet Puppy regarded Doolie as her second mom. The cave room grew stressfully silent. Bea immediately coaxed a dazed Sweet Puppy over to her. The two trembled sitting on the cold cave floor, not from the cold but in fear of the consequences.

Bea's old fears returned. She was sure Doolie would tell both her and Sweet Puppy to leave immediately and never return. Doolie had that way about her. She was direct in her thoughts and emotions and it often frightened Bea.


However, Doolie also had a loving, understanding, caring part to her ability to solve problems. Bea fearing the worst, with 50 bees swirling around inside her, talked to the maker of dear best friends.

Those 50 bees, angrily buzzing within her, calmed. She heard the comforting sound of contented bees making honey, her "be good to myself" treat. She knew everything would balance out.

At first Doolie was angry at Sweet Puppy, but after a silence, and Bea thought maybe talking with the maker of moms who could become angry, Doolie became peaceful.

Bea heard Doolie reassure Sweet Puppy she knew she would never intentionally harm her second mom. It was then, Bea realized, she'd been holding her breath for a long time.

She let out a long bear sigh of relief.
Doolie and Sweet Puppy could not always be at Doolies which meant Zoe had the run of the cave halls. She would easily intimidate Annie, who made the mistake thinking she could take on Zoe.

This tragic misjudgment cost Annie her happiness and was her reason she knew she needed to head out for the bridge of rainbows. It also was the cause of Zoe having to go live with Bea and Sweet Puppy, never to return.

Both Zoe and Sweet Puppy loved playing together. Any fights they had, did not last long. That arrangement worked great until Doolie asked Bea to share her voluminous cave home. There were so many empty spaces with just Maddie still around, Doolie's empty heart was echoing loneliness.

Bea was torn thinking about the move. She spoke with Doolie about what to do with Zoe. Where could she possibly go? They both agreed that Zoe couldn't be living out in the wild with no one to care for her, but neither had an answer.

It looked as if Bea and Sweet Puppy would have to stay where they were, and Doolie and Maddie would just have to rattle around in their empty cave home. Bea and Doolie would never be able to spend time with each other again.

With the alternative arrangement, Sweet Puppy and Zoe would never play together again. There had to be a win-win situation. Doolie and Bea would not tolerate being separated from each other because of something that was not at all their fault.

It was Zoe's responsibility, she had badly hurt Annie. But they couldn't just tell her she had to fend for herself. As angry and hurt as Doolie may have been, fortunately for Zoe, Doolie was not one to hold a grudge and plan how to get even.

Doolie knew any meanness she showed toward Zoe, would not turn Annie around as she made her way on the path to the bridge of rainbows. There was no point in that thinking.

Bea hoped Doolie would talk to the maker about this situation or at least go to visit Willow, the one who was there through rain, storms of any kind and especially sunny days.

She knows when others have storms going on in their heads they especially need her to help them to see through the foggy, cloudy, dark things happening to them. If only Doolie would go see her.







Much of the beginning of this book recalls all of the puppies (any dog, any age) my former partner, Maureen (stage name-Doolie) and I watched go to the Rainbow Bridge, Benny, Annie, and Zoe. This book is aimed at 4-6th grade for independent reading.
*****
BRAIN EXERCISE
Serious thinking and/or meditation

STROLLING
Walking with great alertness

STEPSTOOLING
Going up and down a step stool to get clay pots of honey

FINE MOTOR WEIGHT LIFTING
Using the paw to lift gobs of honey from the pot to the mouth

TOE TOUCHING
Not wanting to waste a drop of honey, bending over to earnestly clean the gooey toes

FLOOR TOUCHING
Similar to toe touching except having to bend over further, to the floor

PUPPY or PUPPIES
The name for any dog of any age

BULLY
To taunt, call names, belittle by laughing, exclude from activities, emotionally pushy, often resulting in long term trauma and emotional scarring

NOTICE EXERCISE
Really focus on what is in front of you, to really see things as they are, all done without distraction; a good way to clear the mind

PLANNING AND SCANNING
A little bit of plotting to figure out how to solve someoneâ??s problem that is basically unsolicited, this often ends up badly

STUCK
Unable to move on; fixated on an idea or situation or problem

FEARS
A form of anxiety, often resulting from trauma from a painful or frightening incident or bullying

TRYING TO FIX THE UNFIXABLE EXERCISE
A form of denial, lack of acceptance of situations as they are

HUMBLE EXERCISE
Very important for progress, needing to think of others rather than just oneself, to be grateful, not unnecessarily self important, yet recognizing and admitting oneâ??s own strengths, a balance exists

RAISED STONE
The evidence of past Native American presence often referred to a cairns, with quartz stones placed seeming randomly, with carved animal faces along the stone walls.

BRIDGE OF RAINBOWS
Where deceased animals go to wait for their deceased loving humans

50 BEES
Like our butterflies in the stomach




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.