Romance Flash Fiction posted January 2, 2023


Good
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Contest Entry

The Last Time I Saw Charlie

by Chris Davies

Charlie Contest Winner 

The last time I saw Charlie, it didn't end well. I always wondered about what could have been and seeing him sitting here at this restaurant brought all those memories flooding back.

I walked across the room and stood beside him. "Charlie?"

He looked up and a slow smile creased his face. "Anna! How are you?"

A warm rush of affection filled me. "Good. How about you?" I pointed at the chair next to him and he nodded. "I've missed you, Charlie."

His eyes crinkled, but it wasn't really a joyful look. "She was my cousin. I hadn't seen her in years. You never gave me the chance to explain."

I swallowed. "Oh. I didn't realize."

He shrugged. "We'd both had a lot to drink. I tried to explain."

My anger had gotten the better of me. I'd blocked his number, refused to answer the door, and surgically removed him from my life. When I reached for his hand, he removed it from the table. "I'm so sorry." It was a lame apology, and I knew it.

He huffed a laugh. "I carried the ring around for six months, hoping I'd run into you."

"Oh, Charlie. I was such an idiot."

We sat without speaking for a couple of minutes until I couldn't stand the hurt. "Well, I guess I'd better go." I picked up my purse and pushed my chair back.

His hand reached out and grabbed mine. "Wait, Anna."

My fingers clutched his, and I stayed.

***

The last time I saw Charlie, he kissed my cheek.

"Gotta run. I'll be late for work." He pointed to the overnight bag waiting by the door. "Call me if it's time."

"I'm not due for another two weeks. Relax."

"Love you, Anna."

"I love you, too, Charlie."



Writing Prompt
Write a story that begins with the line: The last time I saw Charlie ... (continue the sentence and story).

Charlie
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Davies All rights reserved.
Chris Davies has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.