Biographical Non-Fiction posted December 2, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Today someone tried to put me down.

I'm OK

by GWHARGIS

This is not part of the Miranda Chronicals.  I kind of wish it was.  She would have had the perfect comeback.   She wouldn't have wondered what makes some people think it's okay to say certain things.  But this happened to me, G. W. Hargis.
 
Most of you don't really know me.  I don't have a picture for my profile.  Just know that I'm a 61 year old woman.  Mother of four, grandmother of four.  I work full time as a pharmacy technician, do my commission art work after work and on weekends.  Write in the early morning or late evenings.  I rarely sit down.  Don't watch television.  My grandmother once told me that the Grim Reaper can't get you if you keep moving.  I live by that.
 
But today, a woman asked to speak to me.  She waved me over, leaned in close and whispered something that I really couldn't believe I was hearing.
 
"How can I help you?" I asked in my professional pharmacy voice.
 
"I just wanted you to know that I've noticed you've put on some weight.  You should really watch what you eat."
 
I was speechless.  The smart ass in me wanted to say, "Do you want a prize for that observation?  Do you think I haven't noticed? Do you want to speak to the management?"
 
But I just looked at her and said what came to mind.
 
"I probably have, but I stopped getting on the scale.  Life's too short to worry about how much you weigh.  If I'm happy, that's all that matters.  And for what it's worth, I'm really happy.  So, thank you for your concern and you have a great day."
 
I smiled and walked back around the counter.  
 
Now, why am I telling you this?  Because the old me, the one who wanted people to like me, never wanted disappoint anyone, would have cried.  
 
Not now.  Because I am very comfortable now.  I like who I've become.  
 
Maybe she really was concerned about my health.  I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.  Just know that there are some people who don't like to see your light shine.  They will say things to douse it.  Never give anyone the power to make you feel less.
 
We all are unique and special.  Let your light shine.



Recognized


For whoever needs to hear this.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.